Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times

Advertisements

just bought a 55 gal tank and am now thinking about what goes on the bottom.looking at the sand and gravel at the pet store it seems like its the same stuff i can get at the garden center only its 10X more expensive. Is there anything wrong with the sand and gravel at the Garden center?
Obviously i'd wash it real good before putting it into the tank,which raises another question,how do you wash sand with out it finding its way down the drain in the kitchen sink??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM

196 posts, read 697,312 times
I've used sand, gravel, and rocks from quarries and pits without any problems. You may find that changes to water chemistry vary depending on which material you use. Our local rocks are limestone and the sand and gravel has a large amount of calcareous content.

I wash it in a bucket changing water until the water is fairly clear.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times
Play sand is usually okay to use, but look up the specific brand...some have additives that can be lethal. I believe Argo playsand is typically the recommended brand.

I would also take care with gravel intended for use with plants, as some of it may be sprayed with weed killers or inhibitors

Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,938,045 times
If you want to use sand, go to a local pool supply store and get some pool filter sand. They are usually a bit cleaner than the play sand. Rinse it a few times in a bucket to get rid of the floating particles.

To rinse: Grab a 5gal bucket from Lowes or HD. Put the sand it outside and fill the bucket and let it overflow. Just be careful not to breath in the sand dust so wear a mask.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you want to use sand, go to a local pool supply store and get some pool filter sand. They are usually a bit cleaner than the play sand. Rinse it a few times in a bucket to get rid of the floating particles.

I went to 3 pool supply stores and none of them had white sand. they did have a sillica product that looked like small glass gravel but it was multi colored and not white.
I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 40lb bag of something called white Aragonite that seems to be crushed coral product.$60..ouch
At this point i'm waiting for the dust to settle

Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Hmmm, I do know that crushed coral can raise your ph, so you might want to test your ph to see what it is now, especially if you had a high ph to begin with. Some fish do not do well with high ph levels.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,938,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I went to 3 pool supply stores and none of them had white sand. they did have a sillica product that looked like small glass gravel but it was multi colored and not white.
I ended up biting the bullet and buying a 40lb bag of something called white Aragonite that seems to be crushed coral product.$60..ouch
At this point i'm waiting for the dust to settle

Ouch. That's crazy.

If you can't find it in a pool store, try Ace Hardware. They order it if it's not stock.

Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308) - Pool Maintenance Equipment - Ace Hardware

Old 06-13-2012, 04:30 AM

Time for a before and after, 2 weeks ago =

5 minutes ago, = Sorry about the reflection of the stove on the right side.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Looking good! I had sand in my 30 gallon community tank, made it easy for my elephant nose to sniffle around for food in and it looks more natural imo. Does require more frequent cleaning though..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Looking good! I had sand in my 30 gallon community tank, made it easy for my elephant nose to sniffle around for food in and it looks more natural imo. Does require more frequent cleaning though..
I actually held back on sand for a long time because of the cleaning issue. I actually find it easier though. With the gravel, you have to put the vac down into it because everything filters down between the pieces. If you have live plants it's even more frustrating because you don't want to uproot them. With sand the waste and debris just sits on top, so I just run the vac lightly over the surface. It's probably different if you have a sifter like an elephant nose that might be burying the waste as he goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish