Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Cycling the tank is not an exact science, it's not like 3 weeks to the day a timer goes off and DING your tank is cycled. You are fortunate not to have lost any more fish. Just be aware that when you add more fish you will get an ammonia spike. Also, you have made it clear that you have no desire to do proper maintenance such as partial water changes, but be prepared for possible fish deaths if you don't. Are you going to be using the same saltwater filter media for the tank? I'd be a little concerned about getting all the salt out of it. And definitely also keep the Whisper filter running for awhile, or you are going to slow down the cycling process.

To be honest, I am not sure why you are asking for advice, since you are not taking anyone's.
Thanks. What a nice, helpful response.. . . or not. What a condescending bunch of tripe for the most part, with a decent answer hidden in the middle.

You seem to have an odd problem. You read things that are not there and then attack people based on your assumptions rather than what they said. I am guessing that you have a personality where you feel compelled to attack people so you hear or read things to match your assumptions rather than actually listening or reading what they are saying. Usually this stems from a lack of self esteem. Think about it a bit, does attacking other people really make you feel better about yourself? Normally it does nto work, but people with self esteem issues keep doing it anyway. But enough psychoanalysis. . . .

I never said that I do not want to do water changes. I asked how much needs to be changed and how often. The responses are mostly either 10% changes weekly or 25% changes monthly. I like the weekly idea better because you do not shock the fish so much with different temperature and chemistry, so we are changing roughly 10% of the water weekly.

We did not buy a test kit. The guy as fish doctors told us to wait a few days and bring him a sample then he can better determine which kit is best for us. Not sure why, I did not ask him. Since the fish are fine, we are not really in a rush to buy a test kit.

What advice is it that you think I did not take? Perhaps you are referring to cycling the tank empty before adding fish? If so there is a reading problem. We bought a used tank that was already full of fish. When we moved the fish, they started dying in the bags, so we had to put them in before we were able to cycle the tank, or go buy some prime. We did not even have time to get the water warmed up so we had to remove some and add hot water to bring up the temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM

We have one type of fish that always seems to have a long string of something coming out of them. It eventually breaks off and sinks, but the pther fish sometimes eat it. I think it is poop, but the guy who sold us the tank said he thinks it is eggs. Either way, it is odd becuase those particular fish seem to continually do this, but the others do not.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
The local fish store wants you to test the water with him so he can sell you chemicals you don't need. It's what they do. You'll take in the water and they'll say "Oh, your PH is high...buy this to fix it" when in reality you shouldn't be messing with the PH. Or they'll sell you something to remove ammonia from the water when you should be doing water changes for that.

Believe it or not, your LFS is not always the best place to go for advice. If they are telling to do a water change once a month on a new tank, they're simply wrong by the science behind fish keeping. Here's a general way to tell...ask them if you can buy a new tank off the shelf and add fish. If they say sure or just wait 24 hours before adding fish, you know they just want your money and don't care about the animals.

It sounds like the fish are trailing feces- if they are pale and stringy, it means they're full of mucus and something is wrong.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
I'll just reply to a couple of your questions. You said initially you didn't care to do water changes, your were busy etc. etc. We advised you that it weekly or more partial water changes were necessary, only until one of your latest posts did you finally explain you are going to be doing weekly 10% water changes, but if your tank is not truly cycled that might not be enough. Even after it's cycled, depending on your fish load, it might not be enough. We also advised you repeatedly that you needed to test your water, but you give us excuses why you haven't. You said several fish were dying, so they were not fine. They might not be dying anymore now, but we have told you that they might if you don't test your water, yet you still have not done so. Forgive me for being frustrated, because that is very important to be doing while your tank recycles, and considering you took out the original filter media, and have made several large changes in the tank I highly doubt it's truly cycled at this point. Fish and Prime alone are not going to instantly cycle that tank. To find out just how cycled it truly is you need to test the water. And if it is not cycled, you will need to do more partial water changes initially until is is cycled, in order to remove the ammonia. Why am I still here? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We think we know some things that help with aquarium care, but really do not know if they are true. Not even sure where we learned these things. Are these things correct?

6. You only need to change 1/3 of the water once a month and clean the filters as needed.

Quote:
When we had our tank before, we hardly had to do any work. The plecos kept the tank clean and we just changed the water occaisionally, the filters rarely needed cleaning and we would clean one at a time. I think she checked the water chemistry once in a while. Otherwise, it was really no work at all. Just look at it. It is not that we are lazy we just have a lot of kids and a lot of pets and a 176 year old house, and I have a very demanding job . . . Thus, low maintenaince is better.
Quote:

Still have not tested the water. I am never home during the day and wife/kids either did not have time or are not sufficiently motivated. Maybe I will try to get a test kit this weekend.
Quote:

We did not buy a test kit. The guy as fish doctors told us to wait a few days and bring him a sample then he can better determine which kit is best for us. Not sure why, I did not ask him. Since the fish are fine, we are not really in a rush to buy a test kit.
Quote:
We have one type of fish that always seems to have a long string of something coming out of them. It eventually breaks off and sinks, but the pther fish sometimes eat it. I think it is poop, but the guy who sold us the tank said he thinks it is eggs. Either way, it is odd becuase those particular fish seem to continually do this, but the others do not.
Could be parasites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
The local fish store wants you to test the water with him so he can sell you chemicals you don't need. It's what they do. You'll take in the water and they'll say "Oh, your PH is high...buy this to fix it" when in reality you shouldn't be messing with the PH. Or they'll sell you something to remove ammonia from the water when you should be doing water changes for that.

Believe it or not, your LFS is not always the best place to go for advice.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-25-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'll just reply to a couple of your questions. You said initially you didn't care to do water changes, your were busy etc. etc. We advised you that it weekly or more partial water changes were necessary, only until one of your latest posts did you finally explain you are going to be doing weekly 10% water changes, but if your tank is not truly cycled that might not be enough. Even after it's cycled, depending on your fish load, it might not be enough. We also advised you repeatedly that you needed to test your water, but you give us excuses why you haven't. You said several fish were dying, so they were not fine. They might not be dying anymore now, but we have told you that they might if you don't test your water, yet you still have not done so. Forgive me for being frustrated, because that is very important to be doing while your tank recycles, and considering you took out the original filter media, and have made several large changes in the tank I highly doubt it's truly cycled at this point. Fish and Prime alone are not going to instantly cycle that tank. To find out just how cycled it truly is you need to test the water. And if it is not cycled, you will need to do more partial water changes initially until is is cycled, in order to remove the ammonia. Why am I still here? Why?

Could be parasites.

This will help you out a lot:

http://www.readingcomprehensionconnection.com/

"You said initially you didn't care to do water changes, your were busy etc. etc."

Nope never said that. I said we changed the water occaisionally. "Occaissionally" means from time to time at intervals. It does not mean "I do not like doing water changes"

However if someone actually likes doing water changes, they need to make some life changes. While it is not a big deal to do them, if somone finds it fun. . . . "Whee it is tuesday, I get to do a water change today - what fun, I really love doing that it is the highlight of my week" (?).

"We advised you that it weekly or more partial water changes were necessary, only until one of your latest posts did you finally explain you are going to be doing weekly 10% water changes, but if your tank is not truly cycled that might not be enough."

This is also incorrect. I ased whether 30% monthly was sufficient. Some people said 10% weekely was better. Some said 30% monthly was fine. After collecting a dozen opinions from different people I said It seemed more people feel like 10% weekly is better, plus I find it easier. I never said I would or would not use any particualr schedule, I asked what is the preferable schedule. It must be difficult going though life hearing and reading only offensive things and searching for ways to attack people. Are you a short man by chance?

By the way. 10% weekly is more than enough. We do not always get to it once a week and the fish are fine. Water chemistry is fine.

"You said several fish were dying, so they were not fine."

Umm several fish were dying in plastic bags filled with water taken from the tank at the old location. Some of them conintued to die after we first put them in the tank. However within a day, they stopped dying and they are all really happy now. This is where that reading comprehension course will help you.

"and considering you took out the original filter media, and have made several large changes in the tank I highly doubt it's truly cycled at this point."

I did? I must have done that in my sleep when you were watching me so that you could know that when I recall re-using the same filter media, some o fthe water, the undergravel filters were left in place, we kept the same rocks, plastic plants, shells and other decorations, and kept them wet . . . . . Still puzzling over the "several large changes" - sleepwalking is the only answer i can find. Please stop watching us at night.

We did replace ONE sponge that disappeared during the move, but the other sponges were reused. We also had to replace some plugged up pads, but we put the old pads in the tank. Sure we probably should have left those plugged up pads in the fiilter and let it not function at all because fish do really well in an unfiltered tank.
I am pretty sure you can change plugged up filter pads without killing your fish.

I think you are becoming confused with my asking about the need to replace filter media in the extra filter that
was previously used on the salt water tank. PLease see the link above.

Well the fish Doctor guy said it is ccled. Or at least he said, your water is fine, you do not need any chemicals. However he advised us to wiat a couple of months before buying any more fish, just to be safe. He also advised us not to bother buying a test kit. They are expensive and he will do it for free. We drive by there every day, so it is not much of a hassle to rbing in some water once in a while. Besides, if the test kit said we need chemicale,s we would then have to go there to buy the chemicals anyway. So far, he has told use we still do not need any chemicals.

"Why am I still here? Why?"

What you may want to ask is "Why do I keep attacking people based on things they did not say? Why?"

"Could be parasites."
You are correct, it could be parasites, but it is more likely an ego issue, possibly lack of self esteem. After you take that reading comprehension course try the book 'I'm Ok, You're Ok"

While I am very grateful for people providing helpful advice (which everyone else did - thank you to them), I am fed up with people trying to use CD as a venue to attack people at every turn apparently trying to make themselves feel better about themselves (according to pychologists, that will not work, you just keep feeling worse)

Not sure why I am bother to repsond to this. I could be changing the water in the tank again Wheeeee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish