Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times

Advertisements

I set up a new 55 gal about 3 weeks ago,let it sit for a week then added about 20 Neon Tetras along with a variety of about 20 similar sized fish, Used an API test kit and PH,Ammonia,Nitrates and Nitrites are all within acceptable levels, all fish seem to be doing well except The Neon Tetras as over the course of 2 weeks they've all died, their remains dont look like any of the other fish are eating them and i noticed no unusual behaviour Guess i'll avoid Neons in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 AM

30,373 posts, read 23,843,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I set up a new 55 gal about 3 weeks ago,let it sit for a week then added about 20 Neon Tetras along with a variety of about 20 similar sized fish, Used an API test kit and PH,Ammonia,Nitrates and Nitrites are all within acceptable levels, all fish seem to be doing well except The Neon Tetras as over the course of 2 weeks they've all died, their remains dont look like any of the other fish are eating them and i noticed no unusual behaviour Guess i'll avoid Neons in the future.
Some tetras are extremely difficult to keep alive. Your water has to be absolutely perfect at all times. I would say that leaving your tank for only one week, you did not cycle, fully. Often times, cycling takes a lot longer than that and tetras are very sensitive to any changes. Your other fish, without knowing what they are, could very well be more hardy. You can try again with tetras but I would wait quite some time to ensure that your tank is fully cycled, operating well and that the water continues to be perfect every single week for a number of months. Even the slightest change can kill a tetra.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,856,510 times
Hard to say why, did they have curved spines? Mine developed that after awhile.

All I know is that I had 4 neon tetras a long time ago, and 3 of them outlived 3 generations of my other small fish. They were rather durable.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,955,738 times
What's the temperature of the tank water?
The point about your tank not being cycled is a good one. A lot of people just fill a tank with water, let it run for a short period of time and assume it's cycled.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
What's the temperature of the tank water?
The point about your tank not being cycled is a good one. A lot of people just fill a tank with water, let it run for a short period of time and assume it's cycled.
78 degrees.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,897,594 times
at1 week after set up your tank was aboslutly NOT cycled (heck at 4 weeks after set up id put money your tank isnt finnished cycling...
and then to top it off you added 40 fish in a VERY short time.

as already stated tetra (particularly neons and cardinals) are extreemly sensitive to paramiter fluctuations...they dont breed well i captivity so most neons and cardinals being sold in petstores are wild caught, transported form south americato a distrubutor then transported form there to the petshop, then transported form the petshop to your home...thats ALOT of stress on a small sensitive "breed" of fish...

id keep testing your water daily (ive got a feeling yoru going to be seeing some spikes soon as your tank TRULY cycles)

Neons and cardinals pretyt much have to be the LAST thing in a tank and i wont add them untll a tank has been running fully cycled with healthy fish and no losses for at least 6 months...
even then expectto loose at least 1/2 of the neons you buy in any one sitting (i had 24...within the first week i was down to 12, however now those 12 are incredibly hardy healthy and large...) even the most experienced fish keeper can have trouble with neons and cardinals.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,009,213 times
You probably added too many at once. Stocking needs to be slowly.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,863,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
at1 week after set up your tank was aboslutly NOT cycled (heck at 4 weeks after set up id put money your tank isnt finnished cycling...
and then to top it off you added 40 fish in a VERY short time.

as already stated tetra (particularly neons and cardinals) are extreemly sensitive to paramiter fluctuations...they dont breed well i captivity so most neons and cardinals being sold in petstores are wild caught, transported form south americato a distrubutor then transported form there to the petshop, then transported form the petshop to your home...thats ALOT of stress on a small sensitive "breed" of fish...

id keep testing your water daily (ive got a feeling yoru going to be seeing some spikes soon as your tank TRULY cycles)

Neons and cardinals pretyt much have to be the LAST thing in a tank and i wont add them untll a tank has been running fully cycled with healthy fish and no losses for at least 6 months...
even then expectto loose at least 1/2 of the neons you buy in any one sitting (i had 24...within the first week i was down to 12, however now those 12 are incredibly hardy healthy and large...) even the most experienced fish keeper can have trouble with neons and cardinals.
This. Neon needs a fully mature tank- the usual recommendation is the tank has been up and fully cycled for at least six months. They are very prone to neon disease, which is fatal. Stress tends to make them more vulnerable, as does poor water quality.

You said your testing showed 'acceptable' levels of ammonia- there is no acceptable level. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and nitrites and some nitrates.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM

35 posts, read 97,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

This might come a little late, but I hope everyone do not get fish until the tank has completed fishless cycling.

When I heard the words "within acceptable levels", it always makes me more suspicious about the levels. The only acceptable levels for ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. Anything above 0ppm is not acceptable.
But of course they will be 0ppm before you add any fish at all. Once you have added fish, there is no way for ammonia to remain at 0ppm unless your tank is fully cycled...which is not the case here.

In the future, you should cycle your fish tank before getting any fish at all. That is one way to make sure fish won't die to ammonia poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish