Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
if your just going to do the 6 zebras and the platy you could get away with 5 cory (espcially the spotted types who tend to be smaller) there not as hard on the bio load of the tank.

the good news is zebra danios are very hardy and are VERY active so even with just them youll have a very active tank
Can you recommend some good live plants? I think they will help, too.
Right now I have some rocks, smooth gravel, a treasure chest, and some fake plants. Looks great, but I know that the live plants help oxygenate and don't get all algaed up like the fake ones.

You don't think 11 fish in a 10 gallon is overload?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
live aquarium plants beginners, easy live aquarium plants
has some great listings of "easy" plants, ive never had much luck wiht lives myself.

in term of overstock, youd be slightly overstocked but personally i dont follow the 1 inch adult fish per gallon rule and instead tend to go on layout of tank, fish involved and what they tend to be like in terms of waste...for example 1 goldfish is going to put out about the same amount of waste as 50 neon tetra lol...

i think as long as a few rules are followed: 1: filtration, as long as youve got good filtration on your tank a slight overstock isnt oing to crash the system
2: waterchanges/maintennce, evenwith the best filtration system in the world youll need ot do regular partial water changes (i personally prefer smaler more frequent changes over big ones
3: healthy substrate, when doing your changes give the gravel a vac, if youve got sand give it a stir and vac to make sure theres no "dead" pockets forming...
4: distribution of the bioload, a 10 gallon tank with 11 fish all living in the same "zone" of the tank is going to get crowded quick, but having 6 fish in the upper level of the tank and 6 fish that stay down on the floor of the tank distributs the load so territorial issues andsuch dont arrise...i also think types of fish play an intregal part, a group of active bottom dwellers will clean up any over feed so whie adding to the bioload are also removing food that would otherwise spoil so kind of canceling eachother out...

youd have to keep check of your parameters and make sure your consistent with your maintence but ivehad heavier load than that in small tanks with no issues both long and short term just depends on what you want and how muchextra work your willing to put in to get it and keep it healthy

Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
What kind of substrate do you have in the tank? Cories do better with very fine gravel or sand, anything too large can damage their barbels. For a small tank I'd go with a smaller variety of cories, but sometimes the smaller ones can be a little more sensitive to water conditions etc. To be honest, I think you could be asking for trouble putting a lot of larger cories into a 10 along with a school of danios. Any uneaten food left on the bottom can really foul up a small tank quick, and at the same time you want to be sure they are eating enough. I tried to keep cories in a 14 gallon tank with guppies and the cories didn't do well. Make sure you use some sinking foods that the cories will eat as they are bottom-feeders, and also be sure to do regular partial water changes w/gravel vacs as Foxy recommended. Give the cories a place to hide, too. What kind of filtration are you using? Do you have a heater on the tank?

Java moss and java fern, as well as water sprite are really easy to grow without any special lighthing or ferts.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM

I have smooth stone gravel (no sharp edges) substrate.
Won't be adding any fish, period, till I get everything balanced.

I do have a heater.
I have the 10 gallon filter. Was thinking of going to a bigger filter, but my research is showing that it won't make that much of a difference and could suck up smaller fish.

Yes, I read that you have to get sinking food especially for the cories.

I don't mind doing frequent water changes at all.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM

ive never bought sinking food formy corydora...lol, they happily vac up the extra flake, but i do feed little and often, i do also occasionally throw in a few peas and they seem to love those

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I keep hearing that the neon tetras are too sensitive to everything.
How are the ember tetras?
I do not recommend neons for a newly set up tank. They are one of the prettiest fresh water fish in my opinion, but they rarely do well in a new tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can you recommend some good live plants? I think they will help, too.
Right now I have some rocks, smooth gravel, a treasure chest, and some fake plants. Looks great, but I know that the live plants help oxygenate and don't get all algaed up like the fake ones.

You don't think 11 fish in a 10 gallon is overload?
for live plants anubias are good choices. They do fine in low light set ups, they grow without adding ferts, and they grow slowly so you don't need to trim.

The common amazon sword is hardy but it grows ginormous. There are many other varieties that grow smaller and would do well in a ten gallon.

I have never cycled tanks smaller than 55g. For me stocking slowly works well.

as for cories they are such wonderful fish. Although sand would be best, they do ok with gravel.

You do not need sinking pellets. mine come up to the top to eat with the other fish. I do also feed the sinking pellets though.

I am with Foxy on the dechlorinator. I only use it on the bigger tanks (FYI the bigger the tank the harder it is to get a good initial chemical balance, but on the up side once balanced the harder it is for it to be thrown off).

As for water changes I am even worse than Foxy. My tanks get a partial change every couple of months. They are heavily planted though, so they get purified doubly by the plants.

For platies always outnumber the males with females. on an impulse buy I bout five two months ago. Got 3 females and two males from the random buy. The females were pumping out babies like crazy which my angels gladly feasted on. about 3 weeks ago I pulled two of the pregnant females out and put them in a bucket filled with hornwort and anacharis. They put out babies every two weeks or so. The mom do eat the babies but some do survive. The oldest ones are just starting to color up, but are still only about a centimeter long.

Anyway, Foxy has given excellent advice so far. Listen to her

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I do not recommend neons for a newly set up tank. They are one of the prettiest fresh water fish in my opinion, but they rarely do well in a new tank.
Well, I wouldn't have put neons in my new tank, but now they're out of the question anyway, because the danios and cories are schooling and there's no room.

Thanks for all the great advice on here! I plan on doing a partial water change tonight. I did like foxy said and put the water in a bucket all day long. I did put a little dechlorinator in there. By the time I get home, it should be same temp as tank.

Today I was watching the fish - the remaining platy seems much more active and happy and the danios are absolutely hyper. Those guys are cool. Can't wait to add another two to top off the school.

This kind of hobby totally suits me, because I am all about fiddling with and perfecting crap...so making the water perfect and pretty for my fish will not be a chore.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM

uh oh...and so the adiction starts...it starts with a 10 gallon tank, and before you know it you have tanks in every room of the house LOL!

i do love zebra and leopard danios for their activity level, there constanlty on the go and SOOOO hardy!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
uh oh...and so the adiction starts...it starts with a 10 gallon tank, and before you know it you have tanks in every room of the house LOL!

i do love zebra and leopard danios for their activity level, there constanlty on the go and SOOOO hardy!
Right?
Nah...got a 9 month old who is into EVERYTHING, so one tank in the master bathroom (where he can't go) is enough.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:

lol, I got back into the hobby with a 29G bowfront, not 11 tanks later...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish