Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times

Advertisements

dunno about that...had a friendwho said "1 tank is enough" and put a little 10 gal in the bedroom on the desk as somehting to sit and watch to break the "computer goggles" soon their toddler was so enamoured with watchign te fish that they bought a little 10 gallon for his bedroom and set it on a timer with a moon lamp so the light woudl come on overnight as a night light...
2 years later theyve got a 10 gal in his room, a 10 gal in the bedroom a 29 gal in the office a 55 gal in the dining room (built into the wall ENVY! lol) and a 110 al in the livingroom...

LMAO....

im a good girl, i only havea 7 al in the bedroom and a 55 gal in the livingroom....but thats NOT because i dont want more LOL! and more because im too poor to run anymore tanks lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,003,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
dunno about that...had a friendwho said "1 tank is enough" and put a little 10 gal in the bedroom on the desk as somehting to sit and watch to break the "computer goggles" soon their toddler was so enamoured with watchign te fish that they bought a little 10 gallon for his bedroom and set it on a timer with a moon lamp so the light woudl come on overnight as a night light...
2 years later theyve got a 10 gal in his room, a 10 gal in the bedroom a 29 gal in the office a 55 gal in the dining room (built into the wall ENVY! lol) and a 110 al in the livingroom...

LMAO....

im a good girl, i only havea 7 al in the bedroom and a 55 gal in the livingroom....but thats NOT because i dont want more LOL! and more because im too poor to run anymore tanks lol.
yep. it always start small. LOL, and its not even that I have a huge variety of fish. I dunno why I have 12 tanks lol. It sometimes feel spooky on one side of the bedroom there is a 55g planted with australian rainbows guppies and cories; and a 65 tall planted with angels, cories and a variety of tetras, then on the otherside there is my 125g rivertank. Then at the foot there is another 55g planted with live bearers.

There are three 29g in the living room with various fresh water fish, a 40g breeder, a ten gallon with baby platies, the ten gallon with the crabs and then the two five gallons with a betta in each.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM

must cost a small fortune to run all that filtration and heaters and lights...i cant eve imagine.

in my dream world there would be a jelly fish tank in my bedroom with color changing lights and moon jellies...
then in the wall between my kitchen and livingroom woudl be a 75-110 gallon built in discus/tetra tank
my 55 gal angels would stay put...and id love a 55 gal salt reef in the craft room/guest bedroom.
and mabe a in wall tank in the bathroom too, probably a 20long with a pair of calico ryunkin goldfish
yup 1 in every room lol...

i will admit though the jellyfish tank is a HUGE dream of mine...i could sit and watch the kellyfish tank at the aqaurium ALL day
and this fish tank hobby of mine...starte with my first tank which my dad set up in my nursery when i was 6 months old lol

Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,003,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
must cost a small fortune to run all that filtration and heaters and lights...i cant eve imagine.

in my dream world there would be a jelly fish tank in my bedroom with color changing lights and moon jellies...
then in the wall between my kitchen and livingroom woudl be a 75-110 gallon built in discus/tetra tank
my 55 gal angels would stay put...and id love a 55 gal salt reef in the craft room/guest bedroom.
and mabe a in wall tank in the bathroom too, probably a 20long with a pair of calico ryunkin goldfish
yup 1 in every room lol...

i will admit though the jellyfish tank is a HUGE dream of mine...i could sit and watch the kellyfish tank at the aqaurium ALL day
and this fish tank hobby of mine...starte with my first tank which my dad set up in my nursery when i was 6 months old lol
Only the river tank and one of the planted tanks are heavily filtered. Only one has medium lighting, the others have low lighting or the come with tank lighting. Only one tank has an air stone. If you set it up right you don't need all that junk

Yeah, Jellyfish tanks are mesmerizing

Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM

even light filtreation and basic lights cost money to run...

My tank has 2 HOB's the standard strip and an airstone for decoration and a heater for winter, right now i only run the lights and air for a few hours in the evening for "looks" if i try to run lights on a 10hour on cycle my bill jumps about $30 a month just for the lights and an airstone...its insane lol.

no fancy set ups here...btu then again i uess expensive is relitive to the person, to me an extra $10 a month is expensive lol.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Oh, so wow...my water had gone just the slightest bit blurry for a little while. Just enough to notice...not murky or anything.
I had done a partial (25%) water change Tuesday.

Today, I came home from work and went to the bathroom and voila!
The tank is crystal clear.

Planning an algae scrub and gravel vacuum on Monday - scared to disrupt the crystal clear water, but I can see fluffy white algae on one of my rocks. Platy sometimes comes by and chews on it. Crazy fishie.

They are being hyper and playful. Both the platy and the two danios.

My wife named them, One fish, two fish (danios), red fish (platy), and then looks at me pointedly as if to ask, "Where's blue fish?"

Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM

570 posts, read 582,339 times
Hi Everyone,

would like to get into the hobby with a freshwater 50 gallon acrylic...is it alot of work? what do I have to expect to do...

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
Hi Everyone,

would like to get into the hobby with a freshwater 50 gallon acrylic...is it alot of work? what do I have to expect to do...
Hiya, bugs!

There are lots of websites that will tell you how to set up your tank and then start it up and cycle it, etc.
There are also good graphs that tell you which fish get along with each other, how many you need for them to feel good about themselves/comfortable, how much tank they need, etc.

I would discourage this hobby, as I have found it worse than crack and I want more more more more more fish and more tanks and it's completely out of control already already.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Lol, is it too soon for "told ya so" LMAO
i blame my dad for getting me hooked on this hobby...he got me my first tank for my bedroom when i was a toddler...its been downhill and more water since then! LOL!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM

570 posts, read 582,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hiya, bugs!

There are lots of websites that will tell you how to set up your tank and then start it up and cycle it, etc.
There are also good graphs that tell you which fish get along with each other, how many you need for them to feel good about themselves/comfortable, how much tank they need, etc.

I would discourage this hobby, as I have found it worse than crack and I want more more more more more fish and more tanks and it's completely out of control already already.
Hey stan thanks...if you can give me your story...and what size tank you have now...is it easier then having a dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish