Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Ok, maybe a little dramatic...it's only a 10 gallon tank I got for my master bathroom.
I love fish - always wanted a large saltwater tank, but I know a little tank that I can enjoy daily fits my lifestyle more.

Now I need a fishie.

I know it's a small tank, so I know the species are limited. I prefer something brightly colored and interesting to look at. Middle level fish (so nothing that just hangs out up top like a beta)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Got a couple of days to think about it as I let the water get filtered and the right temp, etc.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
well first i want to ask, have you thought about doing a "nano tank" you COULD do a small saltwater tank in a 10 gal with some time, plenty of money and lots of research...

otherwise...assuming heated tank, id go Double finltration on the tank (whatever youve got on there now go bigger or add a second one...and be prepped to do frequent watr changes...this gives you the option to SLIGHTLY overstock the tank giving you a little more of a selectio...
avoid livebearers like the pluage, mollies swordtails and guppies..yes they are bright and colorfull but 1: they tend to dwell at the top ad 2 they will quickly out produce your tank...

i think for your set up id go with 1 "focal" fish...a small school of something else, and a clean up crew...

right now MY choices would be:

focal: DWARF gourami (these guys are rleated to betta fish<, theyll tend to stay closer to the top but are beautiful, only 1 in a 10 gal though!)
a well fed betta could also work
a group of 5-6 small schooling fish, i like glowlight or neon tetras or harlequin rasboras
and a group of cherry shrimp as your clean up crew.

plenty of plants and some driftwood, rocks and "caves" (i like small terracotta plantpots from the craft store ) so everyones got plenty of hiding spaces...

you would be "overstocked" but as long as you keep onto f your water changes and test frequently and have good filtration on the tank you shouldnt be so overstocked as to have a serious issue...
the groupings above would give you activity in all 3 levels of the tank with the gourami sticking neer the top, the tetras/rasboras in the mid section and the shrimp on the bottom...

the dwarf gourami all tend to be beautifully brightly colored in blues and reds, the neon tetra woul bring that same color patten to the mid section, while the rasbora would add red and black and the glowlights offer a brilliant streek of bright orange and silver...
and the cherry shrimp bring the orangy red coloration down to the lower levels.

id go with a dark substrate to realy set off the colors too with plenty of nice plants (real or fake)...
id focus larger TALL plants on both ends of the tank with medium/shorter plants at the back of the middle and some very short "ground cover" in the foreground which would give your goruami definaed terriroty (large plants) cover for the cherry shrimp (low "ground cover" and then leaves the middle of the tank relitivly opwn for free swimming for the schooling type fish.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM

I keep hearing that the neon tetras are too sensitive to everything.
How are the ember tetras?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM

ive never had embers, glowlights i know are REALY hardy (almost as hardy as danios), and i know embers are suposed to be hardy too...
BUT that being said, while neons are sensitive, if youve got a healthy tank they should be fine...

ill admit im Lax on my tank maintence, i do bi weekly 10% water changes, im realy not "ontop of it" and yet my group of 12 neons does PERFEcTLY fine, no problems...
i lost 1/2 of my initial dozen, gave it 2 weeks then added 6 more and the intiial 6 and new 6 are now 1 yr in the tank almost and no issues.
I DO have twice as much filtration as i relay need on my tank so that helps...
there just sensitive to "bad water" and amonia ect...so i wouldnt add them untill the tank is FULLY cycled (read up on the cycling process so you knwo exactly what to be looking for when your testing.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Yeah...cycling...apparently = wait 1000 years until your tank has grown up the proper bacteria and your ammonia/nitrite level is 0 and nitrates are less than 40ppm.

Say...how long do you have to wait with your water changes when you put the dechlorinater in? How long does that stuff take to work?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM

ill be honest ive never used dechlorinator...i keep 6 clean milk jugs and then a few days before i plan to do a water change i fill em up, let em sit with the tops off and by the time im ready to do a water change the water is "aged" and supposedly safe.
ive been doing this on ALL my tanks (i do aprox 10% changes on all my tanks) since i was little little, so about 13 yrs, and weve always had city water and ive never had any problems...

he cycling is the hardest part because if your like me, your impatient and want fish NOW lol....
i alwys sped up my cycle by stealing a peice of cooked shrimp and tossing it in the tank to "feed" it...its still a waiting game if you want to do the cycle right (and ding it right will save you a fortune in the long run lol) but having the "food" speeds it up some....
ive heard of other people adding amonium to new tanks, and others just adding a small pinch of fish food each day to "feed" the cycle.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Yes...I have read about the 'pinch' of fish food.

You know, when I was a kid, I had a bowl and some water and some dechlorinator and a fish. No filter, cycling, heater, etc.

And the fish seemed to do fine.

Well, at least I am learning a lot.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Ok...so I added 2 platys yesterday. One red and one red wag.
The big red was bullying the wag (I looked and they were both male - which was supposed to be cool, but I read could sometimes be troublesome), so I took him back to the store today and told them I needed to give him back cuz he was being a dick.

They readily took him back. I still wanted a couple of fish in the tank (I plan to introduce more verrrrry slowly as the tank matures), so I snagged a couple of zebra danio. If they do well, I will add a couple more to make the school they like.

Then I think we'll be at 6 fish and that's plenty for this 10 gallon tank, I think. Too bad the cory cats have to school - be neat to have one scouring the bottom.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM

if your just going to do the 6 zebras and the platy you could get away with 5 cory (espcially the spotted types who tend to be smaller) there not as hard on the bio load of the tank.

the good news is zebra danios are very hardy and are VERY active so even with just them youll have a very active tank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish