Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,940,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I use RO water on all my tanks. In my saltwater tank, it goes straight in when topping off; in the freshwater tank, I usually mix half RO and half tap with a little neutralizer. Tap water will kill sensitive fish, or inverts, such as shrimp. I keep CRS shrimp and they are very sensitive to bad water.
Not all tap water are the same.

Tap water can be used if you know their parameters. I use tap water for my tanks and SAFE to take out the chlorine. I don't even age mine, straight to tank at around 84 degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,912,943 times
Yeah, I use tap water with Prime, and my shrimp thrive. The public water supply in my state is supposed to be very good quality with frequent testing, though. Maybe some states have poor public water?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,309 times
WHERE are you living?
Water is different everywhere, and the choramines are the real killers today. It used to be chlorine, which usually dissipates with active aeration for at least a day. Even then, it's the other things showing up. Calgarys' own water site, as an example, doesn't give the detail you need to assess water quality. It's LOADED with phosphates that affect PH, and rising and falling PH will kill lots of critters.

I cut local Vancouver, BC water, which is soft, filter with activated charcoal, and our club pretty much agrees you can't over-filter water. Calgary, AB and the prairie water will kill just about anything. Outside Calgary where I was working in Langdon I thought the water was 3% transmission fluid.

While anabantids like gourami's and betta have an accessory air organ you'll burn their gills.
Most states and provinces I'll start with bottled water as there is an investment in breeding stock I want to protect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish