Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,915,021 times

Advertisements

1) Gold Fish; and

2) Gourami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,196,060 times
Are you on a well, or city water?

I am on a well with a newer tank and the fish have been thriving after a 1 week cycle of the tank. There can possibly be high nitrates int he water if you are next to a lot of farm fields.

City water is really unbalanced and filled with chemicals and flouride. Cycle the tank for a while before adding fish.

When in doubt, add some feeder minnows to the tank before spending cash on real fish. They will get the good bacteria flowing, and if they drop dead, you know it's unsafe water.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM

If you let the tap water sit for 24 hours, it will be fine, right?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,113,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
If you let the tap water sit for 24 hours, it will be fine, right?
Generally, yes. Mostly you need to let the chlorine dissipate. There are "water conditioners" you can purchase at fish and pet stores that speed up this process.

I have had goldfish that are outdoors for about 8 months out of the year in a little pond, then I bring them indoors for winter. I let the tap water "age" for about 12 hours when doing frequent indoor water changes and some of my fish are seven years old. I did the same thing with tropical fish but that's been years.

Without knowing what is going on with your local water source, your best resource would be a geeky independent fish/aquaria store where you live. They should be able to clue you in with local knowledge.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,856,148 times
We have city water which means added chlorine, so I always add a water conditioner specifically designed to remove it. I have numerous tanks and a pond, so I'm frequently doing water changes and don't have the room to leave buckets of water sitting around. I am assuming you don't have the goldfish mixed with the gourami, right? They have different temp requirements etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Nah, the goldfish is not expected to live long, but the dwarf gourami is expected to live for a year or more. They are seperate.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 AM

Why isn't the goldfish expected to live long? Is it sick? Can it be treated? In a cycled tank or pond large enough for goldfish, they will live 25 or more years. What kind of goldfish do you have? The common feeder or carnival goldfish is the largest, reaching 14" or more in length, you'd need a HUGE tank, preferably a pond, which is where I keep mine. Fancy goldfish can live in a smaller tank of 20 or more gallons for one. Bigger is really better for goldfish, they are constantly pooping.

Editing to say that gouramis can also live longer than a "year or more", generally 3-4 years or longer. I am confused as to why you are expecting your fish to live such short lives. A lot of people don't realize just how long fish can live.

Dwarf Gourami

The Dwarf Gourami is often kept in small aquarium, but the recommended minimum aquarium size is 60 cm (24 inches). Place the aquarium in a quite spot of your home, since Dwarf Gouramis sometimes become very skittish when subjected to a lot of noise. Dwarf Gouramis inhabit the middle and top region of the aquarium. The aquarium set up should resemble the natural Dwarf Gourami habitat and include a lot of vegetation. Floating plants that cover a part of the surface are highly appreciated.... If you take good care of your Dwarf Gourami it can live for 3-4 years in captivity.

Goldfish

Comets Goldfish
Comets goldfish grows quite large and can reach a length of 14 inches / 35 cm. They are best kept in cold water aquariums decorated so that heavily planted areas are created as well as areas with open space where the fish can swim.

Fancy Goldfish
An aquarium for fancy goldfish should be no smaller than 100L / 25 gallon. Many types of fancy goldfish will however eventually grow out of an aquarium of this size and a larger aquarium is than necessary. Fancy goldfish should never be kept in a goldfish bowl and I might add that goldfish bowls isn’t suitable to keep any type of fish in. The aquarium needs to be well filtered since fancy goldfish produce large amount of waste matter and require high oxygen levels in the water. A suitable circulation is about 10-12 times the aquarium volume an hour. Fancy goldfish usually dig a lot so under gravel filters are not recommendable.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 05-04-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Dude, you need to chill. That's like saying that every person should live in a 4000 sq foot 4 bedroom house.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 AM

Dude, I could turn the tables and say a person could live in a small closet. Could one? Certainly. Would the person be healthy and live a long life? Highly unlikely. You can't fault me for questioning why you believe your fish aren't expected to live long, especially since you posted on another thread asking what fish could live in a bowl. Most people who buy fish do so with the intention of keeping them alive as long as possible, but your casual comments either suggest you don't care, or maybe you are just looking to rile fish owners here? Stranger things have happened on forums.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,803,490 times
*blink blink*
Quote:
Nah, the goldfish is not expected to live long, but the dwarf gourami is expected to live for a year or more. They are seperate.
Why is your gooldfish not going to live long? whats wrong with him?! 30+ years is NORMALfor a well kept goldfish...the longest liing golide is 45!

and only a year "or more" for the goruami?! that poor guy...if thats all the life your expecting out of them...then again cant say im much suprised...
the AVERAGE lifespan is 4 years, which meass theres DG's out there that are older then 4...
at a year there brely breeding age...

and no its not like saying everyone shoudl likve ina 4000sqft house...its like saying you dont make a 6t tall person sleep in a 3ft long bed...or make people live ina closet with no bathroom...Even inmates have a potty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish