Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times

Advertisements

55 gallon set up with a fluval canister filtration system.
currently srt up for freshwater tropicals.
pretty heavily planted.

what was in it: an amazon community with angels and tetras.
why im changing direction, of my 4 angels 1 decided to turn hanibal lecter, killed and ate the other 3 (who were bigger than him) then and only then did he procede to turn the rest of his tank mates into lunch (something not uncommon with angels and neons but the other angels were almost twice his saze and never botherd the tetras and I feed...frequently...
tried introducing some tiger barbs yesterday, good sized ones too, figured mean begets semi aggressive...he ate all 4's heads overnight.

needless ot sayim not letting 1 angelsfish take over a whole 55 gal so im moving him to his own 20 tall where hell get to live hisnatural life out, or until I fnd someone that would like to have said mean fish.

what I want
a veriety of sizes in all levels of the tank and color.

Id LIKE:
a few "focus fish" something mabe a little larger or brighter

Dither fish for flash: I love neons and rasboras so if my focus fish could get aong with those that would be wonderfull

bottom dwellers: lets face it Corydora all the way lol

so what should my "focus fish" be.

I LOVE Discus, angels, I wish dwarf goruamis came in a bigger size becaue I love their colors

my other possibility would be take out the heater and put a trio of ryunkin goldfish in there...ryunkin are my fave goldfish.
but I only use the heater for mabe 3 months out of the year, the tank stays at 76 from mid spring thorugh mid fall without any assistance from me.

water is a little on the hard side.

unforutnalty salt is not an option due to cost of upgrading the lights and filters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Naughty Angel!

Do you already have a goldfish tank? I think you have several tanks, but I can't remember. That would be my vote.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM

yeah hes certinaly no angel! lol

I have a couple shubunkins in my 110 gal pond but no indoor goldfish.

if I did golds id probably mix some white cloud mountain minnows for "activity" too lol.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
We have a 50 gallon tank with two blood parrots. These fish interact with us, they get excited when we walk past the tank, they will eat shrimp from our hands. I've never had a fish that was so aware of things outside the tank before. We also have a school of neons in the tank, and a couple of really big plecos, and two little frogs. The blood parrots were offended by the frogs at first, but they've learned to tolerate them. They like the neons and they ignore the plecos.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

I like the parrots, I had one I rescued form a petstore called gigantor! (he was HUGE) lost him duing a prolonged poweroutage dring the winter a few years back, he got too cold
there certainly on the list.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
I've never had aggression with angels. The smallest fish I've mixed them with were silver hatchetfish which are a lot of fun. Otherwise I've stuck with mollies, swordtails, bigger tetras, cories, dwarf gouramis, and various rainbows and they've done well.

Tiger barbs are a bad choice with angels as they are fin nippers. However, a tank with tiger barbs and the other fish mentioned will likely do very well and be very active. Just make sure you have a big school of tiger barbs. I had them and had five of each color and it made a nice display in my 65 gallon.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've never had aggression with angels. The smallest fish I've mixed them with were silver hatchetfish which are a lot of fun. Otherwise I've stuck with mollies, swordtails, bigger tetras, cories, dwarf gouramis, and various rainbows and they've done well.

Tiger barbs are a bad choice with angels as they are fin nippers. However, a tank with tiger barbs and the other fish mentioned will likely do very well and be very active. Just make sure you have a big school of tiger barbs. I had them and had five of each color and it made a nice display in my 65 gallon.
I had angelfish and dwarf gourami together. I came home one night and one of the angels and the gourami were both dead, with the angel's snout buried in the gourami. I guess he took a bite and got stuck in there.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,938,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
55 gallon set up with a fluval canister filtration system.
currently srt up for freshwater tropicals.
pretty heavily planted.

what was in it: an amazon community with angels and tetras.
why im changing direction, of my 4 angels 1 decided to turn hanibal lecter, killed and ate the other 3 (who were bigger than him) then and only then did he procede to turn the rest of his tank mates into lunch (something not uncommon with angels and neons but the other angels were almost twice his saze and never botherd the tetras and I feed...frequently...
tried introducing some tiger barbs yesterday, good sized ones too, figured mean begets semi aggressive...he ate all 4's heads overnight.

needless ot sayim not letting 1 angelsfish take over a whole 55 gal so im moving him to his own 20 tall where hell get to live hisnatural life out, or until I fnd someone that would like to have said mean fish.

what I want
a veriety of sizes in all levels of the tank and color.

Id LIKE:
a few "focus fish" something mabe a little larger or brighter

Dither fish for flash: I love neons and rasboras so if my focus fish could get aong with those that would be wonderfull

bottom dwellers: lets face it Corydora all the way lol

so what should my "focus fish" be.

I LOVE Discus, angels, I wish dwarf goruamis came in a bigger size becaue I love their colors

my other possibility would be take out the heater and put a trio of ryunkin goldfish in there...ryunkin are my fave goldfish.
but I only use the heater for mabe 3 months out of the year, the tank stays at 76 from mid spring thorugh mid fall without any assistance from me.

water is a little on the hard side.

unforutnalty salt is not an option due to cost of upgrading the lights and filters...

If it's a heavily planted tank, you don't want discus as they do better in a group. A heavily planted 55 can accomdate a pair but they get real expensive in term of adult size. You don't want to try to grow out small discus in a planted tanb either.

In a planted tank, I prefer to have shoaling fish versus 1 or 2 main focus fish.

This is a video what I do with my heavily planted 90gal tank. There is almost no maintenance in this thank. I change the water every 6-12 months. Just top it of every few weeks.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Dwarf Gourami's can be pretty aggressive. My Dwarf was calm and did well with his tank mates then overnight he decided he didnt like the Platys.

For something different get German Blue Rams, they are very colourful when older. I got mine on eBay and they came in well.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM

im not realy looking for just 1-2 main focus fish, im looking for a compatible tank using a couple of larger focal fish and a number of smaller schooling fish...

the angel will not be staying in the tank he kills everything!
so tigers wouldn't bean issue as im not crazy enough to put angels and any kind of barbs together...

and its defintly not heavily planted like yours
mostly open front and middle with plantings tall in each read corner filtering down in size front and side to open front and middle.

I don't like livebearers at all,

been keeping tropical tanks since I was 5. blue rams in y esperience see to stay low and fairly hidden, I want something a little more "in your face" as the focal point but capable of living with others so that I can have the "activity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish