Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I like fish aquariums not necessarily for the act of owning fish, but because of the serenity and calmness they provide. To me, there's nothing like looking at an aquarium with fish swimming around and hearing the trickling of water from the filter to relieve the stress after a long day at work. And I know this may sound a little offbeat, but I even like the sound of the filter humming . Anyways, I'm looking for any recommendations for a small aquarium (1 or 2 gallons) with little maintenance, with a filter that makes a little bit of noise but not too loud and you can hear the water trickle just a little from the filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I had found my "dream" aquarium that matched these exact specifications in the waterfall globe aquarium that I bought a few years ago, but the splash from the "waterfall" filtration system created too much scum on the side of the aquarium which was a nightmare trying to scrape off. Strike one for too much maintenance. I also didn't like the fact that there was no hood, which left it vulnerable for all kinds of stuff to get into the water. Strike two for maintenance. The motor also went out on the filter, so there was that. So, I'm now on my quest to find my next "dream" aquarium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
It's easy to find an aquarium that small, pretty much all pet stores carry kits. Or you can shop online at places like Amazon or Drs. Foster and Smith. You can read reviews and look at pictures to decide which you like best. But in a tank that small, it's really too small for any fish except for one betta, or small shrimp with plants, or an African dwarf frog. If it gets cold in the winter wherever you live, you would also need a small heater for the betta, as they need temps if 78 degrees. But any water splashing in that tiny of a tank might upset the fish or frog. I think you should consider getting a 10 gallon tank, you could get a small school of fish, plus it would be easier to maintain the water quality. That's still considered to be a very small fish tank, and easy to maintain. Still, if you do have something living in a fish tank, it will require weekly partial water changes, so it won't be entirely maintenance-free. We're you hoping for any specific type of fish?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's easy to find an aquarium that small, pretty much all pet stores carry kits. Or you can shop online at places like Amazon or Drs. Foster and Smith. You can read reviews and look at pictures to decide which you like best.
Thanks, I'll have to look at those sites. I almost wish I could test some aquariums out to see how they look, how the filters sound, etc. Most retailers have certain models set up, but these tend to be the bigger aquariums. I guess I could always just buy a model and return it if I don't like it until I find the right one.

Quote:
I think you should consider getting a 10 gallon tank, you could get a small school of fish, plus it would be easier to maintain the water quality. That's still considered to be a very small fish tank, and easy to maintain.
Not looking for anything that big and I'm only wanting 1 or 2 fish, tops.

Quote:
Still, if you do have something living in a fish tank, it will require weekly partial water changes, so it won't be entirely maintenance-free. We're you hoping for any specific type of fish?
I had two danio's and liked them. That's probably what I will go for again.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:06 AM

If you do research on Danios, you'll learn that they are active schooling fish and need to be in a larger tank than one or two gallons, with a minimum of 6 danios. They'll nip each other with only a few. Think 10 gallons, or at least a tank that is 24" wide. Danios will live many years if they are kept healthy. Liveaquaria.com is a great site, you can go there and see what kinds of danios there are, and what kind of living conditions they need. Honestly, it's inhumane to keep them in only one two gallons. And it would be easier for you to keep 10 gallons clean, the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain good water quality. But if you are firm on getting only one or two gallons, get a betta. Even then it's best to give them 2 gallons. A one gallon tank really isn't big enough for anything.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If you do research on Danios, you'll learn that they are active schooling fish and need to be in a larger tank than one or two gallons, with a minimum of 6 danios. They'll nip each other with only a few. Think 10 gallons, or at least a tank that is 24" wide. Danios will live many years if they are kept healthy. Liveaquaria.com is a great site, you can go there and see what kinds of danios there are, and what kind of living conditions they need. Honestly, it's inhumane to keep them in only one two gallons. And it would be easier for you to keep 10 gallons clean, the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain good water quality. But if you are firm on getting only one or two gallons, get a betta. Even then it's best to give them 2 gallons. A one gallon tank really isn't big enough for anything.
I did and they did fine. When I bought my globe aquarium, I specifically asked the worker what fish would be good for such a small aquarium (1.8 gallons) and she actually recommended Danios.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Unfortunately, most of the pet store employees aren't trained properly. They just want to sell fish. Danios are very hardy, and will suffer through improper housing conditions longer than most other fish will, which is why they get recommended to people new to fishkeeping, or that have small fish tanks. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you look through a lot threads here, or go onto larger fish forums like tropicalfishkeeping/aquariacentral/planted tank, you will see that I am right. I am being very polite, they would not. Members on a large fish forum would go ballistic if someone posted that they wanted to put danios in a one gallon aquarium. What kind of danio were you thinking of? White Cloud Minnows are slightly smaller than zebra danios, or glo-fish danios. With any kind of danio though, it's important to get a wide tank, so if you still are still firmly set on or two gallons, at least go for something as close to 24" wide as possible.

Freshwater Tropical Fish Species Profile: Zebra Danio - Hardy Tropical Fish for Beginners
Family: Cyprinidae.
Origin: India.
Size: Up to 3"
Diet: Omnivorous.
Tank Setup: Freshwater. Planted, but with plenty of swimming area.
Tank Conditions: 64-75°F; pH 6.0-7.0; KH 8-12
Min. Tank Capacity: 10 gallons.

Danio albolineatus

Size

Reaches 2.25 inches.

Minimum Tank Suggestion

24 inches in length.

Read more: Danio albolineatus

Zebra Danio, Brachydanio rerio Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

In their home waters the zebra is extremely active and always on the move. We need to provide for this in our home aquariums. The tank should be fairly large with length being more important than height. The ideal tank should be at least thirty inches in length.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
if your getting a 1-3 gallon tank theres only 1 fish that can happly live in it (and even then its not ideal) and that's a Betta fish...that's it, no tetrs, no danios, no minnows...the store will tell you whatever it takes to sell the fish, they don't care if the fish is healthy and happy after the very short return period...
infact when working for one large mass knwonw retail petstore we were told "ont ask quastions and try to sell a many fish as possible...the didn't care if the fish were highly incompatible, the tank too small ect...

personally as far as small tanks go I like the minibow, gomes in sizes from 1-5 gallons (check out amazon) they use a whisper brand in tank filter an as long as you keep the ater level UP (it should be JUST below the outlet lip of the filter) they are very quiet) comes with a full hood with a small light and makes for a nice little desk top tank... he 1 and 2.5 are big enough for a betta only!, the 5 gives you a few more options, ie a little group of 5 whitecould mountain minnows (danios are actually TROPICAL fish and realy need a heater in the tank for winter at the minimum... whiteclouds howver are pretty little cold water fish who don't need suplimental heat.
you could probably also get away with a few fancy guppies (but not both...1 inch of ADULT fish size per gallon of water...THATS IT...) so a fish that's 1/2 an inch int he store but will grow to an inch at maturitity would onlyallow you room for 5 fish total. most tiny fish are schooling fish ad REQUIRE the company of others of their kind to be happy and mentally stimulated, odd numbers of 3+ are best. pairs tend to eventually squabble.

the fluval and marina tanks are also GREAT!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Just want to add to the OP, whatever you do, don't buy a goldfish. I know we have all seen and heard of them in bowls and small tanks, but they are babies when you buy them. They will quickly grow to a foot or more in length, or simply die in a small tank.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
cant rep you again ATTW3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish