Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Goldfish adapt to the size of the container they live in. I like to see them in park ponds and back yard ponds. Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 AM

315 posts, read 563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
LOL, before you know it, someone in here will recommend or demand that you need a 150 gallon tank.

Com'on now, it's only four gold fish. They will do fine in a 10 gallon tank for a couple of years. If they are still alive by the end of 2015 and have grown, you go out and buy a 20 gallon tank to house them. Alternatively, go out and buy a 20 or 30 gallon tank and it will last years, plus some room for a couple more gold fish.
This entire post is horrible advice. 4 Goldfish in 10 gallon, ya might as well sign the death warrant now. Keeping them in such a small tank is cruel. Ten gallons is fine for a few tetras, bettas, etc but with the amount Goldfish consume and poop the ammonia will be through the roof in less than a week I'd bet. There's no reason to stunt the growth of a Goldfish either, because it is probably painful. Please OP, do not go this route. If they are still alive? If taken care of in a 50/60 gallon tank they should last for 10+ years not till just the end of next year.

When I was a kid my dad refused to let me get a goldfish, they're a pain in the rear end. They are such dirty fish. He stuck with Bettas, corys, tetras, etc. I would never own a goldfish due to the work they require. I've heard a saltwater tank is less work tan a huge tank of goldies.

OP I'd go with the 55 gallon long ASAP. You won't have to go out an get another one later.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
NCN no they don't "adapt" to the size, that's a common myth, instead what happens is the goldfish become sick cramped and STUNTED, that's not adapting...that's dying SLOWLY...
a goldfish in a pond can live longer than the average human lifespan...
a godlfihs in a bowl is lucky to live 2 years!
the "they adapt" MYTH is an old one that's long since been debunked and yet for some annoying reason seems to live on.

someone also menthions the hundereds of lttle goldfish in the petstore tanks.
I can tell you as the person who tends those tanks.
1: those are FEEDER fish, they are not meant to be healthy or well bred they are bred en mass to feed to snakes, lizards and bigger fish
2: the fish that don't get bought live aproximatly 1 week...doesn't matter what we did with the tanks, (and im OBSESSIVE about my fish care) feeders came in on Thursday we would loose about 25% within the first 24 hours...and by the next Thursday we would have 0 feederfish in the tank. we only managed to sell on average 20% of the feeder goldies ordered, the rest of those 500-1000 fish that we ordered eachweek to fill the feeder tank (which tw cost an average of 2-5 cents a piece) died.
those feeders howeer that got rescued and sent to happy lives in much larger environemtns (I took 25 feeders to stock my mums pond) if babied for the first 2 weeks can live long happy lives...my mums feeders all reached 24" within a few years and lived 10 years, a 1 week poweroutag that took down the pond filtration killed them :/

why get these beautiful "little" fish if you've NO intentions of giving them space and requirments they REQUIRE to live long healthy lives and reach their full potential.
theres NOTHING more beautiful in my opinion than a healthy long finned 24" long shubunkin or red and white commet

Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Haters hating on me.
No, just pointing out that you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
Attw3
omg lmao!
Repped!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
LOL, before you know it, someone in here will recommend or demand that you need a 150 gallon tank.

Com'on now, it's only four gold fish. They will do fine in a 10 gallon tank for a couple of years. If they are still alive by the end of 2015 and have grown, you go out and buy a 20 gallon tank to house them. Alternatively, go out and buy a 20 or 30 gallon tank and it will last years, plus some room for a couple more gold fish.
If you are buying 29 cent feeders, just replace them if they die. I keep 3 in a 10 gallon but once they get to about 2" they go out into the pond, and I replace them with new ones. If you are spending $4+ each on fancy ones, it makes more sense to get a larger tank.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
plus change the filter once every two months (rinse it off in between months) and they do seem happy,
Make sure you are rinsing in old tank water, and not water from the tap.

The chlorine in the tap water will kill all the helpful bacteria and cause issues.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:47 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
I recommend you go right ahead and get them a great big, maybe even a 100-gal tank. They will grow to fill that space. Goldies appreciate a lot of space and racing room is not optional if you have comets! It works out more expensive if you buy tank and after tank and bigger and bigger filters and light hoods and so on in small increments -- just buy the biggest setup you can crowbar into the available space and let the goldies spread out.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I see this happen so often it's sad really. Pet shop employees give bad advice when it comes to choosing the proper size aquarium for a fish.

I've seen many species sold at pet stores which grow quite large and require 75+ gallon setups.

Just today I saw a dad buy his kid a 20 gallon aquarium and 2 oscars!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM

371 posts, read 337,821 times
It all depends on your goals.

If you just want to keep fish in the tank, are ok with them dying well before their natural life expectancy due to dirty water, than a lot of the advice in this thread is great.

If you want to see goldfish get to full potential, then a much bigger tank is required.

I've personally seen goldfish near 1ft in length at about a year in ponds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish