Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times

Advertisements

He could just be bored! Mine does that sometimes, like my cats & dog who race around the house when they're hyper. It's the not eating that has me worried, rather than his crazy swimming & floating. Any progress? Oh, and I just moved my Betta upstairs, since it was getting too cold downstairs (where he was living for a few weeks)... he's been a bit lazy with the weather change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,791,976 times
Sad news. When I got up yesterday morning and went to say hello, he had died. : (
He must have been either old, sick or both because of his behavior. It's strange, even with a fish I come home and first thought is to go see him and now he's not there. : (

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,292,569 times
Aww....I'm sorry, Rapture...well, I guess he was trying to tell you he was distressed. , Julio sends his regards, too...strange how we can get attached to one little fish, huh?

Go into beta rescue and be a forever home for another one living in a plastic cup (that's the only way I can do this, I can even get teary-eyed over a fish). Be sure and sanitize his tank or bowl or whatever really good before you put another one in there to make sure fin rot or something equally horrible isn't living there.

I'm just convinced, much like puppy mills, we just don't get the best of the best from the pet stores...but if you get the best, they can cost a LOT of money for a fish. I've seen some online that are quite impressive and very beautiful. I guess there still must be a demand for the ones at the pet stores, you see them everywhere, even Wally World. A friend of mine that owns a pet store told me the betas that are sold in quantity are just (and her quote, not mine) "trash fish". I guess good breeding should be everywhere, huh?

Sorry for your bad fish loss...

Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,791,976 times
Thank you. I'm going to wait until after the holidays to get another.

Last edited by Global Friend; 11-19-2007 at 04:40 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,660,137 times
Rapture, sorry to hear about your fish. Parasites can cause fish to swim in circles like that. It's been years for me, but I used to have fish tanks until a 100 gallon tank broke in my living room. Anyway, there is lots of info on the Internet about parasites. Let's hope your future Beta's are healthy.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times
So sorry, Rapture. Unfortunately Bettas don't live too long, no matter how well you care for them... maybe next time you can find a young fish, though I honestly don't know how to determine their age! Funny how we can even get attached to a fish, isn't it? Sorry again, and I hope your next Betta is around for a while.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 AM

24 posts, read 86,519 times
Just to clear some things up for future reference ... I know my way a bit around a Betta tank, not that it means anything, but I was an admin on a betta forum, and I own 3.

Bettas, contrary to popular myth, don't like small tanks. 1 gallon is ok, but more doesn't hurt. I had one in a 10 gallon, and he swam around with lots of energy all day, he wasn't nearly as happy when I put in a couple dividers to house the two others. He is still active, but not nearly as much.

Bettas need a heater. 78-82 F is good, mine is at 80.

Try to change the water once or twice a week in a smaller tank ... always use a dechlorinator, one that also takes out chloramine and heavy metals is preferred.

A low powered filter is good for any fish. Some need more powerful ones, but Bettas don't. Just enough to circulate the water and have it pass over a bio-filter. The bio-filter (bio-wheels are best), give special bacteria a place to grow. The first bacteria turns ammonia into nitrite. All fish put out ammonia, as well as the poo and uneaten food. Once there is sufficient nitrite, a bacteria grows that eat that and turns it into nitrate. Each is less poisonous than the prior to the fish. Nitrates are removed by water changes. Most forums you go to, it is agreed that 20 ppm (parts per million) of nitrate should be the max level, and when it approaches that, it is time to change the water. You can get strips, but the liquid tests are more accurate. 1-2 ppm of ammonia can be fatal to most fish, the same with nitrite. So, if you don't use a filter, it is imperative for the fish's health to change it more often.

Now, some may say, I don't do that, and mine live ... but think about the difference between living on a mountain in Montana and living in downtown LA (no offense) on a heavy smog day ... you are living, but your aren't breathing well. Another way to think of it, is, imagine not showering, flushing, nor washing plates for the time in between water changes, or not changing cat litter, picking up dog poo in the back yard for weeks or months at a time. Not a pretty thought, right? It is no different for fish. There are contaminants that are clear, so the water may 'look' clean, but isn't.

Most bettas at the pet store are about 6 months old. Bettas can live 3-5 years ... there has been experiments done where they have lived over 10 years with being exercised.

The like plants to lay on. You can get some cheap bulbs from wal-mart, and they will grow and give them a place to lay

Males can't be together, but females can at about 3 or 4+. That means you can give them a medium tank like a 29 and have 20+ in there, or a 10 gallon and have 4 or 6.

Only feed them the amount of pellets about the size of their eye ... they have small stomachs once or twice a day is fine, you can skip a day once a month to let them clear their digestive track. Hikari Betta Bio-Gold is a good food, and only about $2 a package. It lasts quite a while and have vitamins and minerals added to keep their immune system up, plus color enhancers.

So ... about 78-80 F, regular water changers using a quality dechlorinator, good food, some type of decor for them to rest on, bigger tank the better, low-power filter, and give them attention when you can. They should live 3+ years for you. If you think there is a disease, take pictures and get on a betta forum, they will be able to diagnose and give you treatment methods to best treat the fish.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,292,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complacent vagabond View Post
A low powered filter is good for any fish. Some need more powerful ones, but Bettas don't. Just enough to circulate the water and have it pass over a bio-filter. The bio-filter (bio-wheels are best), give special bacteria a place to grow. The first bacteria turns ammonia into nitrite.

The like plants to lay on. You can get some cheap bulbs from wal-mart, and they will grow and give them a place to lay
CV -

Got a couple of questions about this - my betta is in a 5 gal. tank with a bio-wheel and filter and low-flow filter...but my plants aren't doing well. When I had a 60 gallon tank I had quite a bit of agitation and oxygen flushing into the water and my plants were beautiful...the shorter grasses seem to be okay in this tank, but anything else goes toes up.

I'm at about 76 degrees with a small heater and I cannot get rid of the algae bloom. I'm changing the water (about 20%) once a week but something isn't going right...of course, I don't have the test kit, I didn't dream I could have so many problems with one small tank and one small fish! I did have some plants that went anaerobic before I figured out they were dead at the roots and not just on top, so that may be my problem - my levels are probably off. I did get rid of them and their roots, but do I need to start all over again?

Other than scrubbing the algae and regular water changes, do you have a clue about the plant life? I love the plants, they just add so much - but it seems like since I added them I've just had a lot more problems.

Julio is very active and very happy and loves to be talked to...he sits on my desk and helps me work...he isn't in any distress, but I'm going nuts!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM

164 posts, read 517,252 times
So sorry to hear about your Betta dying, Rapture. I've had my Betta since late February as a gift and didn't realize how attached I'd get to him. I thought he was just a very pretty but boring creature in a bowl. Then as I started enriching his environment he became more and more animated and interesting. He's constantly making me laugh. Hope you have better luck with your next Betta.

Even though I live in a warm part of Southern California, its cold enough to need a little heater for my Betta's 2.5 gallon aquarium. I got a Hydor Mini 7.5 watt heater. It's small enough to stick in the small bowl while I'm cleaning the aquarium. I'm probably going to move up to one that has a built-in thermostat. Anybody have a recommendation for one?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 PM

24 posts, read 86,519 times
Sam I Am, it may be there is just not enough light for the bigger plants. Certain plants don't need nearly as much, so they can thrive ... I am surprised on how well the bulbs from wal-mart do, drop them and forget them :P

Some plants require about 5W per gallon, which is quite a bit (25W for your 5 gallon!) ... the natural daylight style helps too, it puts out a better spectrum, since it isn't just light they need, but certain ranges as well for different phases and plants (reds, blues).

Oxygen wouldn't be much of an issue, since they release it for the fish while helping a minute amount converting toxins and co2.

Algae can be a big problem but it is a sign the nutrients are there for the plants when you find the right ones. Since your bigger plants are already gone, I would try to limit light to just a few hours a day if you can until you get the algae under control, then afterwards, only run the lights for about 6-8 hours a day. That should be enough for most low-light plants, and the fish ... and give the algae less light to grow off of.

Clean the glass (or acrylic), clean the inside of the filter (don't mess with the bio-wheel though), and a vac the gravel really well to get as much of the algae and detritus out as you can.

I do think you are changing the water plenty, since Bettas are relatively low waste producers, and having a filter and 5 gallons for one makes an owner's life much easier keeping the water in good condition. Maybe once a month change a bit more. I usually go down to just enough for them to swim and refill, for me that is 8 gallon in the 10 gallon tank ... but I do have a Python, since I have to change water a couple times a week in the 55 gallon with the Oscar and once a week in a 29 gallon and the 10. When you have lots of water to change, a Python beats a bucket hands down, but not for the fitness/workout taking 30-40 gallons out and back in by 5 gallon buckets gets the blood pumping and the muscles flexing (about 45 lbs).

I actually had an algae bloom from leaving the lights on too much and putting off a water change, and solved it just by a nice size water change and cutting back hours of the light being on and a mild clean up. I don't mind a little bit of algae, to me it looks more natural

For plants, look into ones that have a lower lighting requirement. Excuse any spelling errors, but aponogeton, java fern and moss, and anubias are low-light plants that should work well.

BTW, agitation (breaking the surface tension) ... whether from a filter, powerhead, or air stones is a good way to let gas transfer occur (releasing co2 and o2 in for the fish). If you are someone who doesn't have any of those, and you add a filter, you will notice your Betta will not have to breath air from the surface, except for maybe a rare occasion, or if they are extremely happy and making a nice big bubble nest (fresh water from a change seems to inspire this in mine more than anything). In tank circulation is a good thing too, and most filters do an adequate job of it.

Artful-Thang, Visi-Therm makes good submersible heaters, and they are pretty cheap on petsmart.com ... I think around $5-7 give or take for your 2.5. The Stealth version of the Visi-therm is overkill for a Betta, but is not a bad investment either. They are ceramic, so you don't have to worry about the glass breaking/cracking and the fish getting shocked ... but it is all black, no 'pilot' light, so if it does go (lifetime warranty I believe), you won't know unless you watch the temp strip on your tank regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish