Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I actually think I'm gonna go with gravel, don't want to suck any of that sand up in my pump, and I'm unfamiliar enough with it that I don't want to take any chances.

I think gravel would opt out the cory cats, though, correct? They are better with sand if I understand correctly. Are the ottos also schooling cats, and will they be ok with gravel?

BTW, I do intend to also pick the brains of my local fish store people before I get into buying fish and stocking everything.
Cory's do fine with gravel and dirt, not sure if sand is preferred or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
cories will do fine with gravel jus preferable look for something with a smoother texture or smaller gravel size...
ottos are loose schoolers, they interact with others of their group and do best in groups but they are more algea than bottom clean up.

but cories will do fine with a good aquarium gravel.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Yes, go for small, smooth gravel, cories have little barbels that can wear down with repeated digging in the substrate, which is what cories do when searching for food. Years ago with my first cories, I had a small variety of them, only about an inch long at maturity. My gravel was large and uneven with sharp edges, and the cories started to die. It was after researching that I saw their little barbels had worn down. I felt so guilty.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yes, go for small, smooth gravel, cories have little barbels that can wear down with repeated digging in the substrate, which is what cories do when searching for food. Years ago with my first cories, I had a small variety of them, only about an inch long at maturity. My gravel was large and uneven with sharp edges, and the cories started to die. It was after researching that I saw their little barbels had worn down. I felt so guilty.
Aww, that's sad. But how could you know?
I'm so pleased to have so many places to be able to go online to get info on things like this, such a change from just a few years ago, really.

I got some gravel, but it's not really small, nor really smooth. I will probably get plecos or ottos instead of cories.

I bought a filter and a bubble stone, and I have set up the tank. I have not bought any conditioner or anything for the water, and I'm not putting anything live into it yet. Just gonna let it run for a while, then add things to be able to cycle it and get it up and complete.

I'm not a very patient person, had to get it started.

At the fish store I saw some crowntailed bettas....so pretty. I just love that look.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM

Congrats on setting up the new tank! If you are thinking of a pleco, be sure to get a bushy nose/bristle nose pleco, they only grow to about 5" long. The common brown plecos grow up to two feet long, too big for the average fishkeeper. You'll also need to add a little piece of driftwood to the tank for a pleco, they like to sort of "gnaw" on it. They also need a little supplementation such as sinking pellets or little bits of algae wafers such as by Spectrum One, they won't survive on algae alone, especially in a new tank. (just read the ingredients, some algae wafers aren't really algae, but wheat/soy) There are other little treats for plecos, but we'll wait 'til you get one.

Otos should go in older, more established tanks, that already have existing algae, so you might want to wait a bit on them. I know it's hard to be patient, but it's better in the long run so you don't lose fish. You'll want to start slowly in the beginning when adding fish anyway, so you don't crash your cycle, and you'll also want to keep an eye on any new fish for sickness so they don't spread it.

I think you should try a crowntail betta when you're ready, he might do quite well with other fish, many do. The worst that could happen is that he didn't, and then you could always buy a 2 gallon desk top tank for him.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
Quote:
then you could always buy a 2 gallon desk top tank for him.
and so it begins LMAO

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
If you are thinking of a pleco, be sure to get a bushy nose/bristle nose pleco, they only grow to about 5" long.

I think you should try a crowntail betta when you're ready, he might do quite well with other fish, many do. The worst that could happen is that he didn't, and then you could always buy a 2 gallon desk top tank for him.
I googled that type of pleco, and I love the way it looks!! Are they also schoolers? I'd love to have a little group of something scurrying around the bottom.

Thanks for the encouragement on the crowntail, I think they're really pretty.

I have made a little "cave" out of a tiny clay flowerpot with largish rocks piled around it. What can I get that will use that? (I am under the impression that fresh water shrimp are not a good idea--if I end up with a betta.) I was thinking a khuli loach or two?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Pleco's arent schoolers, they are kind of solitary fish. Not super active by day (but mine are somewhat active). I have 3 Albino BN Pleco's.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM

I think a 20 gallon high might be too small for a khuli loach, but it might work, however I think they are shy. And you have to be careful, they can squeeze into your filter.

Brian is right, plecos aren't schoolers and you don't see them much during the day. If you want something schooling around the bottom, cories would. But I have heard that you shouldn't mix cories with khuli loaches, especially in a small aquarium, as they compete for food.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Cory's do fine with gravel and dirt, not sure if sand is preferred or not

Sand is preferred. Their barbels are fragile and many types of gravel have sharp edges. There is coated and/or rounded gravel, but it is often more expensive than sand. But it often clogs with undergravel filters. I've personally had little luck with undergravel filters and prefer external canisters.

Rinse the sand very well!!

Oh, I've done fine with bettas in community tanks, as long as their aren't super fast fish or fin nippers (such as tiger bards). Neons should be fine. Remember with cories and neos that they're schooling fish and they do better in larger groups.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: noticed the undergravel fileter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish