Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,863,802 times

Advertisements

Ok, reading this forum has inspired me. I went to my local fish store and bought a used 20 gallon high tank. I have nothing else yet except a 20-69 gallon air pump.

I want to use sand for substrate, I want to have live plants, rocks, a bubble stone along the back. I've been reading on cory cats on another thread here and I sure would like some of them.

My thoughts are running along the lines of the following:

A male betta, red. (I love them, they are so graceful and personable.) He will be my focal point. I'd like a pair, but don't want to deal with babies.

A group of maybe 6-8 neon tetras.

Several cory cats for the bottom, maybe some freshwater shrimp??

Thoughts on this grouping?? Is this too many for this size tank? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,922,796 times
Congrats on the new tank! But be aware that bettas don't always get along with other fish, especially colorful ones, hence their nickname "siamese fighting fish". Pairs will usually fight, too. Bettas will fight 'til the death. Also, they will eat small shrimp. That said, I've had some peaceful bettas that were very easygoing, but you just never know what their personalities will be like. When they are introduced with other fish, if they don't like them, you may find out quite fast. Also, some don't like currents in a tank, I had one that couldn't tolerate any type of filter whatsoever, other than a small Whisper.

Otherwise, your stocking plan sounds great. Freshwater shrimp shouldn't be added until your tank is some months old though, they don't do well in new ones. Red cherry shrimp would be fine, also ghost shrimp, there are many options for you. They do need plants, and since you intend to have plants that is perfect. RC's love java moss in particular. Unless you get a high tech light though, you'll probably have better luck with low light plants such as java moss, java fern, anubias, and water sprite. Some people have luck with hornwort in low light tanks, but mine never did well indoors, however it thrives in my pond.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks, andthentherewere3. I am aware of Bettas' propensity to fight, didn't think they were that way with other species though. I never would put two male Bettas in the same tank, of course. When I said a pair, I meant male and female.

Do you think the neons and a betta would have problems?

Also, does anyone still use undergravel filters? I like the clean look of that as opposed to a bulky filter setup outside of the tank. (I know you can't use sand with an UGF.)

I am still totally in the planning stages, don't even have my location for the tank determined yet.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,922,796 times
I know you meant a pair, but you still shouldn't put a male and female together unless it's briefly for mating purposes, because bettas are extremely territorial. Here's a link that discusses that on a betta forum:

Betta Tankmates - Frequently Asked Questions - UltimateBettas

While this may seem like a no brainer, many bettas have been hurt or killed by the suggestion that they can co-habitate. Obviously, two males can not be housed together safely, but a male and female (or combinations thereof) are also not acceptable tank mates. They will inevitably wound each other, even if there is a short term period of peace. Even females will only co-exist under highly specified conditions, with no guarantee of peace; the safest way to keep a betta is solitarily!

No one can say with certainty if a betta you buy will get along with neons, or any other fish, it's trial by error. You could get lucky and have no issues. There is no way to determine what fish bettas will get along with, as each one behaves differently. You would have to try it out and watch carefully, because if your betta doesn't like other fish they attack to kill. It might not happen right away, either. So if you decide to try it and it doesn't work out, be prepared to return the betta to the pet store. (and not keep in a bowl, which some people do but isn't healthy) Also be prepared that you might lose a fish or two if the betta attacks while you aren't around. Female bettas are less prone to attack than males, although again that depends on the individual. Bettas can be wicked little buggers. I have seen some pet stores with male bettas in community tanks, which is perfect, because then you can see for yourself if he's peaceful.

Have you considered a gourami as a centerpiece fish? Pearl gouramis are super peaceful, and generally dwarf gouramis are, too. Opaline/blue gouramis though can be nasty once they get older though, especially males. I had one for years that was really mean to anything smaller than him, and he was probably 5-6" long.

Some people do keep sand with HOB (hang on back) filters successfully, I tried once and stirred up the sand though, and it got into my filter. But if you are careful about not stirring up the sand I know people do it. I personally haven't used an under gravel filter in decades, I do remember it got clogged or messed up or something, and I ended up having to empty everything in the tank and replacing it. I absolutely love sand as a substrate though, and some day might try it again. With cories sand is best too, so that would be perfect for your tank.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Wow, thanks again, attwt. I did not know that about breeding pairs of bettas. I seem to remember my mother having a mated pair, but maybe she was just lucky.

I am not crazy about the look of gouramis, I really love the way bettas look. But I will search around and see what I can come up with.

I like angels, too, but I know they can also be nasty.

I will concentrate on the tank itself for the time being, I have plenty of time to choose fish.

Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
in a tank that size I htinkif you provide plenty of cover so betta can set up his own terriroty and the smaller fish have plenty of hiding spaces youd do fine.
bettas like broad leaf plants they will actuall rest on the leaves (like hammock) so look into swords and over wide leaf plants, set him up his own little corner with a nice big plant to settle into and call his own
you could also look into paradise fish...harder to find, stil highly aggressive witht heir own species but ive found them not as tempermental with others lol

neons can be a little delicate, ive had better luck with cardinals if you like the "neon" look, you might alsolook into harlequin rasboras, black neon tetra, glowlights, or Cherry barbs (cherries are the most peacefull and not typically fin nippers unlike the other barbs)
id definatly go with the higher end on the tetra or cherries, 8
and a group of 6 corydora...

id also eventually add a group of 6 ottociticlus cats rather than the shrimp, leslikely to be eaten by the betta and amazing algea clean up lol.

youd be a little overstocked with the ottos, but none of the fish your interested in are "high output" fish so assuming your keeping on top of maintence nd usinga good filter you should be fine

welcome to the hobby! bewarned...it only grows from here! lol

Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks Foxy! I looked up the paradise gouramis, they are pretty. I'll consider that.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,086,192 times
Would the sand substrate not make ph too high for tetras?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
clean aquarium sand that's been thoroughly washe should not cause PH iues over long term. its ont usual to see a apike or drop deending n the type of sand in the frist few days but it typically levels out after a week. ive kept tetra in sand based tanks for a long time with no issues

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 AM

I actually think I'm gonna go with gravel, don't want to suck any of that sand up in my pump, and I'm unfamiliar enough with it that I don't want to take any chances.

I think gravel would opt out the cory cats, though, correct? They are better with sand if I understand correctly. Are the ottos also schooling cats, and will they be ok with gravel?

BTW, I do intend to also pick the brains of my local fish store people before I get into buying fish and stocking everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish