Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM

315 posts, read 564,145 times

Advertisements

I have a completely cycled, lightly filtered (with baffler), heated ten gallon with 1 feeder guppy in it currently.

I am wondering what else to add to my tank. I am set on Cory Cats, I had them a few years back and I really liked them. So I will definitely want maybe four or more of the pygmy cories. I am just having trouble deciding on what to get along with them. I am fearful of putting a male betta despite what I am reading that they are good tank-mates. Is it weird to just want a "catfish" tank? I love Corys and Otos but I just am not sure if even tetras would bother them. I had a Diamond Tetra for 8 years that harassed every fish I put in with her, even her own kind! I had a few neons, but I never noticed any fin nipping, would they be a good choice with the Cories? My feeder guppy is an issue because I can't tell if it's a male/female and I don't want them breeding lol..

Any suggestions on fish with Corys? Or maybe shrimp with the Cories and the feeder guppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
theres nothing wrong with wanting to focus on the cories! there great little fish who LOVE larger groups of their own kin!

id go with a nice group of cory, 4-6...I wouldn't bother with anything else on the bottom level
since you don't want your guppy breeding id suggest not utting any more guppies in..(though they also do best in groups of their own kind) generally with guppies if the tail fin is bright and large it smale, femlaes are smaller and drabber...
if you can figure the sex id add a few more guppies, if not id go with some smaller schoolers, neon or cardinal tertras or harlequin rasboras come to mind, they'll inhabit the middle to upper levels of the tank leaving your corries plenty of room to play and adding that flash of color.
Or find a home for said guppy and put 1 "focus fish" in the tank witht he cory. a male betta will not typically harass the bottom dwelling corydora (but he WILL harass anything with brght and flowy fins) or mabe even a dwarf grouami, like beta they tend to be terrirotial (they are both labyrinth fish) but are bright and flashy and will not typically bother bottom dwellers but bring that splash of color and personality up to the upper levels of the tank that would be pretty much unused by the corries.
the gourami is a little less likely to pick on feeder guppy though assuming mr gourami has a good sized plant (corner) to call his own...
add some nice (fake or real) broad leaf taller plants and some caves (terracotta pots) and driftwood to the bottom for the corries to play in...they love tunnels and things to dart around through and under but also need plenty of open floor space for foraging so avoid cluttering the floor of the tank with too much "stuff"

I LOVE cories

Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM

I am a little bit hesitant on the Male Betta, I don't know why. I'd feel horrible buying one and "rescuing" it from the horrible pet stores and then bringing it back. I planned on getting the Cory's first. My Guppy is a feeder guppy, he has some nice colors but he's nothing showy but I don't know for sure.

Foxywench, I completely agree, they are amazing little fish and they're so cute! I want a catfish heaven. I've been told that a 10 gallon is too small for them, but with literally nothing else but a tiny guppy in it I don't see how it's too small. I want the pygmys, but if I can't find them, do you think 4 albino/peppered would be okay for a 10 gallon? Or if I don't get anything else for the top of the tank, five or six? I just really like Cory Cats I've had them in a five gallon before with a 2 neon tetras and they lived for 3 years, so I don't see how a ten gallon can be too small.

Thank you for the smaller schooling fish suggestions! I think neons are pretty but so are the little cardinals. Ah this will be a hard choice, but I will research each one. By the way I plan on going to an actual good aquarium store, so I think they may have a bit more of a choice.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM

generally corydora on the smaller end will be about 2" full grown, general BASIC rule of thumb is 1" of adult size per gallon.
so 4 peppered would be 8 gallons, 5 would be 10...

that being said I tend to take that rule screw it up into a little ball and make my own because I find that rule to not fit in many situations...it doesn't take into account filtration or "levels" in a tank.
for a corydora whos technically a scavenger who occupies primarily the bottom 1/2 the tank... the rule doenst work so well, ive found that generally assuming good filtration and regular water changes 1 gallon per adult cory is plenty as long as they are the only fish utilizing the "ground floor" of the tank and your tank floor is relitivly open for movment (if you've got a lot of low growing plants, rocks and ornaments then the capacity changes, but if you've got some tunnels and caes and driftwood with plenty of arches to swim under and around that keep a nice large open swimming/Play area then 1 adult cory per gallon isn't an issue. even the large corydora only get to 3-4 inches full grown, with pepperds and jullis and the like staying relitivly small.
as scavengers they are also a "low output" kind of fish.
would they be happier in a igger tank Absolutly, but theres no reason you couldn't keep a group of 4-5 cory in a 10 gallon tank and still even add something else.

betta get a bad rap, they are not realy aggressive in a community setting UNLESS presented by "betta like" fish...if a betta is on the wish list hed live VERY happily with cory (I have 2 male bettas sharing a 10 gals each with corydora and ottos) but hed likely attack the guppy (and any long flowy finned brightly colored fish) they should also neve rbe mixed with gourami, or paradise fish for this same reason, big bright colored flashy...
SInce your warey and like to keep the guppy though id suggest going with a group (5) of small "dither" fish (white cloud mountain minnos, harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, even zebra or leopard danios...
personally ive found the mini danios (leopards and zebras) indestructible...
ive personally ad better luck in terms of health with cardnials and found neons a ltitle more sentitive, rasboras tend to be middle line, generally fairly hardy assuming you get a good batch. white clouds like dnaios are pretty much bomb proof...

or a single dwarf grouami...I love dwarf gourami for 10 gal tanks, Flashy bright and colorfull, personality similar to a betta (they'll come to the front at feeding time ect...) restrict themselves to the top 1/2 of the tank and ive personally found them to be very hardy fish.

take alook online at places like livefishdirect, and liveaquaria at the pictures of all the fish, see what catches your eye nd then reaserch and see if you can find it locally.
ive personally ordered form both livefishdirect and live aquaria also with good results but prefer to buy in person, (unfrotunatly local selection is VERY limited here)

Or just stick to the corydora....
my only issue with a cory only tank is the rest of the tank often looks empty because theres little to no activity in the upper 1/2...and I personally like all levels of a tank to have SOME activity

Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Thank you! I am looking at getting a Honey Gourami and 4 Cory Cats..maybe 5 if I think there's enough room. If I can't find one I think I'll go with a male betta!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
If it were me I'd turn it into a Tetra tank. Like the one my son has set up. Well it also has a Raphael and Plecostomus, too.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM

excited to see pictures

please be warned
this is a VERY addictive hobby! lol

Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
10 gals is small.. what they call Corys now
used to just be called catfish... the leopard cat is a good one,
so is the green, but I really like the albino cat (albino cory).
So you're definitely on the right track. I have a 29 gal and it's barely
large enough for my pimelodella cat and pleco, I've had leopard and
albinos with them.
Stay small in a 10. Neons, Black tetras, bleeding heart tetras,
winged zebras, maybe some mollies and swordtails. No more than
like 3 cats and maybe 8-9 fish.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM

I wouldn't do mollies or swords, techinically there brackish fish and there live bearers lol.

personally I like the ops plan for 4-5 cory and a dwarf gourami or betta...should be more than enough space in the tank and the filter should have no issue handling that, assuming he sticks to the smaller corydora subspecies, the emeralds get large at 3" but the liks of peppered and jullis for example rarely get more than 2"

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM

I really LOVE Panda Cory's, and they are a smaller species. I just don't really know if I can find any of the smaller ones. I have had the Albino and Peppered Cory's before, and I really enjoyed both of them. They are so lively and playful. I've been told a 10 gallon is small, but honestly this is a huge tank to me, or at least the biggest one I've had! My Dad has had 150 gallon Saltwater tanks before but we've never had luck with freshwater.

Foxywench, it is becoming increasingly addicting. I can't wait to have my own house with a nice big freshwater tank with a million little cories The Tetras are still an option. My only issue is I think 8 tetras and 3 cories will be too much? My friend has an amazing 50 gallon with a beautiful school of neon tetras and lots of them, I think 8 cories, and a few more species. I love his tank, it's decorated so naturally as well. Just looks beautiful and is so inspiring to what I want LOL I prefer no live bearers, but I do have my little Guppy, who I still have yet to tell what gender it is. It's actually a really pretty fish for a Feeder one.

I will surely show pictures. Just waiting till the semester is over to get the tank settled before I go off and buy fish. I really just don't want them all dying from ammonia or something stupid. I took my tank water to Petsmart recently to get it tested but apparently the test strips they use aren't accurate at all. He said my Ammonia was way too high (I just did a water change, there's a small guppy in there, and a good power filter) and my pH was at a 6.2 I don't know whether to believe that or not, I will be ordering the API master kit soon enough on Amazon.

ETA: I am thinking this guppy is a MALE, because of the shape of his breeding fin. It is rod-shapped, but is that in all Guppies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish