Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,523 times

Advertisements

Tested my tap water it contains 2pmm ammonia, so I will never get a zero reading!

Wonder if this effects Freshstart (Tetra. THINK IT DOES)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
OK I have heard of ammonia at tap water but 2pmm is very high, I have heard in the .25 to .5 range. Are you sure you didnt meant to type .25 ?

If its that high my best guess for water changes (not sure how big your tank is) would be to put tap water in a tank, treat it and wait a few hours and then test again and it should be 0, then you can put it in your tank. Thats gonna be cumbersome if you have a tank thats 50+ gallons though.

Is it a new tank ? If it is and youre doing a fishless cycle you add ammonia to the tank anyway.

What are you testing with ? I only recommend the API liquid tests as I have had more solid readings with them. The strips have given me off the charts readings before. Maybe take a sample of tapwater to Petco or something and see what they read. Petsmart here uses the strips, Petco uses the liquid.

If its an established tank your media should take care of it, but I dunno as 2 is very high. Eating the ammonia is basically what your bio load does. Try Prime also and see if it helps. I have never used anything else.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Thanks for your response.Yes it is a cycling tank but the water was taken from the faucet and I used a AP1 Master Test Kit. ( was wondering why the ammonia wasn't coming down)
Also it has 6 plants.

We have chloramines added to our water,
I have one small goldfish in there.I am doing 20% water changes every day and adding Prime every day too.

New to all this but have read a LOT.
I want to put Flourish Excel in my tank but I have read high nitrates will effect it?
I have 0 Nitrites.

btw/The Fish is doing nicely.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 AM

If its cycling give it time and keep up with water changes. Your bio load will be able to keep up with it eventually I would think. It can take quite a while for a tank to cycle but when it does itll be worth it. It should be able to 0 itself out and then when youre doing a 25% change adding that ammount of ammonia with prime will be .25 at water change then be gone within hours. I think, somebody may correct me on it. I have had a 75G for a year and a half almost and I am constantly learning.

My tank for the last year has read 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I used to test every day then it went to every two days then to once a week and I havent tested in about 4 months. Everytime a fish dies I test basically, with pet store neon tetra's that can be quite often (every few months). I lost a bio wheel (quit spinning) and had to put a new one in last week then my 2nd bio wheel quit two days ago and ended up finding a dead neon tetra and cory last night. I didnt have time to test but I bet its out of whack.

I put Flourish in it and will be doing Excel. I have many plants and use root tabs to aid them as I have some Amazon's which require a fair chunk of nutrients. I am not sure how Excel will affect your nitrate level. With things being the way they are I would hold off for a bit until you see some stability. Although if you do do it and are testing daily youll see effects straight away so youll know whats going on.

Post pics of your setup too!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM

THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
Seems like you are having excellent results with those water results.

I am testing every day but I expect I will slow down when things get more stable.

I wasn't worried the Flourish Excel would increase the Nitrates, more that the Nitrates would effect the Flourish Excel.

Expect to get some Seachams Purigen today.

Weill keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM

I love Purigen! Just dont let it dry out when you are regenerating it.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM

OK to use Prime and Flourish Excel but I also put Purigen in the tank/The water is crystal clear but I had to remove it until I am finished cycling. Found out it slows the process.

Wow Purigen is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish