Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Seems like the plecos have done a fine job of cleaning the glass and they are now doing a great job on all the plastic plants..
Thanks for all the info.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psydwv4zfc.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 07-26-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
I would just scrape until the algae is gone. I will also take an old tooth brush to use for cleaning rocks.

Whatever you do don't use an additives like API's algaefix. The label said it would not harm fish, but it killed all of my danios and most of my multis, despite my water parameters being fine.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 97,458 times
You should not relay on "algae eaters" to completely eradicate algae in your aquarium. They can only help to a certain point. To control the algae in your aquarium, you must go for the root problem. Reduce nitrate and phosphate, as well as cut down the time of lights exposure will slow algae growth. Only when you have manageable algae growth, the algae eaters then can do the rest.

"algae eaters" are not just limited to fish. Some shrimp and snails are great at eating algae too.
For a list of recommended algae eaters, you can see Algae Control.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:34 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I've had good luck with Malaysian trumpet snails...unless you have cichlids (that eat them). Burrow under the sand in the day, out at night to clean the glass. WAY less messier than plecos, which get huge. Problem with plecos is they are so good at eating algae, they eventually run out of algae to eat. Now you must supplant their diet with algae tabs to avoid them starving, which is a common form of death for them.

Secondary downside of plecos......poop. They make a lot of it.

Algae thrives when nutrients and light are present. You can reduce this by reducing the light cycle a bit, or planting some live, fast growing, stem plants that will suck up the excess nutrients before algae can bloom. Sometimes just adjusting the light cycle a bit and keeping the tank clean is all you need.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Thanks
I have since changed the Aquarium into a Paludarium so no more algae problems.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/jambo101/DSC00655_zpswslexdy0.jpg

Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Youre only half right on the Pleco's, the common pleco does get huge and I wish people would stop buying them. There are plenty of other Plecos that stay a reasonable size. I have 3 albino bn pleco and none of them exceed probably 5 to 6".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've had good luck with Malaysian trumpet snails...unless you have cichlids (that eat them). Burrow under the sand in the day, out at night to clean the glass. WAY less messier than plecos, which get huge. Problem with plecos is they are so good at eating algae, they eventually run out of algae to eat. Now you must supplant their diet with algae tabs to avoid them starving, which is a common form of death for them.

Secondary downside of plecos......poop. They make a lot of it.

Algae thrives when nutrients and light are present. You can reduce this by reducing the light cycle a bit, or planting some live, fast growing, stem plants that will suck up the excess nutrients before algae can bloom. Sometimes just adjusting the light cycle a bit and keeping the tank clean is all you need.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:33 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Youre only half right on the Pleco's, the common pleco does get huge and I wish people would stop buying them. There are plenty of other Plecos that stay a reasonable size. I have 3 albino bn pleco and none of them exceed probably 5 to 6".

That is true, but they tend to be harder to find. 9 times out of 10, when someone walks into a pet shop, they walk out with a common Plec.

Can't tell you the number of times I've walked into someone's house to see a 10G aquarium with a 12" plec hanging on the side

Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That is true, but they tend to be harder to find. 9 times out of 10, when someone walks into a pet shop, they walk out with a common Plec.

Can't tell you the number of times I've walked into someone's house to see a 10G aquarium with a 12" plec hanging on the side
Here every big box store carries the albino bn pleco.

Yeah I hate to see that too man, and they seem to be proud that the fish got so big and you see the thing bent over in a cramped tank gasping to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish