Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

I suppose i could scrape it off but it would be nice to have the appropriate fish to eat it off.
I've had Plecostimus in the past but they grow to big for my Tetra themed 45gal tank, Any suggestions on what type of fish i need to buy?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM

196 posts, read 697,141 times
The Clown Pleco sounds like it might be what you're looking for. Panaqolus maccus

They are pretty shy. I don't overfeed, so mine is not much bigger that 3", but I have had it for 12 years. I haven't seem them in any chain pet shops, I got mine when we still had locally owned shops - sigh.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Well i broke down and actually bought 3 small plecostomus, if they get too big i'll take em back to the store. the ones i bought look very similar to those clown Plecos..

Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
So did you get common pleco's ? I'd personally return them now if you did. If you wanted a Pleco I would go with an albino BN Pleco of some sort, they stay small. I personally don't think theyre great algae eaters anyway. If you want something to take care of algae I think Nerite snails are the way to go.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Get some Amano shrimps.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:36 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,083,377 times
snails, Chinese algae eaters, and made sure to not keep light on or near open window, or over feed.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
firstly, plecos ONLY eat algea as youngsters, as they mature they will ignore it completely (and need wood as their main diet is rotting wood)
CAE's can be highly aggressive...
you want either SIAMESE algea eaters (and most large chains don't know the diference between SAEs and CAE's so unless you have a small knoledgabel specialty store id skip them) or a little school of my favoritates, OTTOS...
ottos are very small, and voracious algea eaters eating the aleas that most wont touch.

snails are fine too if you don't mind them reproducing...

you also need to reduce feed and reduce light and introduce live plants, (either below the water line or above by rooting into the tank) these wil use the excess nutrients form the feed and fish waste BEFORE the algea can.
ife you've got a timer on your tank likght cut ou an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening...if you dnt have a timer on the light...get one and set it to have your light going for no more than 10 hours a day. if neer a window (or directly opposite) try and shade the tank, algea likes high light situations.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Nerite snails wont reproduce in fresh water.

Of course you're right about lights being on too long, beside the window etc. Plants do help immensely also but planted tanks are a whole new ball game when it comes to fish tanks.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:52 PM

414 posts, read 296,940 times
Skip it and scrape. There is no substitute for anyone who does not have a good fish store available. I'm sorry to bring the news. As noted, even the Plecos won't do the job soon enough.

My last LFS went under and is now dogs and cats only.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 AM

279 posts, read 356,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
Skip it and scrape. There is no substitute for anyone who does not have a good fish store available. I'm sorry to bring the news. As noted, even the Plecos won't do the job soon enough..
Sure scraping is best way to remove it, but BN plecos ( Ancistrus ) are the bomb. If you're like me, I enjoy walking in the room and seeing my fish, so I keep the light on far too long. I went to a timer, and reduced my algae to a level my plecos can keep up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
My last LFS went under and is now dogs and cats only.
They're still around, but harder to find. The one's that survive have been in business for many years, new ones have a slim chance of survival. On-line options are just too hard to compete with. Overhead and Rent are killers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish