Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 PM

233 posts, read 253,627 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with aquariums. In my distant past I even had a business installing and maintaining them.

My question is...in the past 15-20 years, have any advancements been made in aiding/speeding up the cycling of a freshwater tank? I recall bottled bacteria as well as powdered form. Are these actually worth wile? I used to get some weed used filter media from a local pet store. Placing that into an Aquaclear (or similar) filter while adding a few hardy fish generally worked fairly well. My concern doing that was always the fear of introducing a disease into the new aquarium. It never happened....but is there any better way of doing it these days?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 AM

279 posts, read 359,771 times
There are a ton of bottled "stuff" out there that you can find at the online stores or your LFS. You can try them based on others opinions, as I have never used any to offer an opinion. I have had many people use filters or filter media from my tanks to get their tanks up and running.
It sounds like you already figured that part out, and just looking for a product that's fool proof or easy to use.
Depending where you're located, there's likely a group of fish-a-holics or addicts that meet once or twice a month and can help you with your new set up. They have everything you need to get your tank going in hours not days or weeks...

If you're near SW Ohio I'd be glad to help

Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM

4,187 posts, read 12,010,768 times
I used to and still occasionally fish to other hobbyist. I always have extra sponge that I offer to sell to someone who haven't properly cycled their tank or realized that they need to QT my fish when they get it home. Their plan was to plop their newly acquired fish into their existing tank with fish in there already. This is never good idea (especially for expensive fish).

Seeded media is always the best approach in my opinion. I would be very reluctant in getting seeded media from a LFS though.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Seeded media is always the best approach in my opinion. I would be very reluctant in getting seeded media from a LFS though.
Yep, you're right. After I wrote that, I thought about some of the chain stores out there and I have to say I'd exclude them. I'm fortunate to have an old fashioned store who is picky about his fish, and although I know he get's ick on occasion, he doesn't have a central system in his store, but individual filters. Id go with a local fish geek first any day....

Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,981,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
Yep, you're right. After I wrote that, I thought about some of the chain stores out there and I have to say I'd exclude them. I'm fortunate to have an old fashioned store who is picky about his fish, and although I know he get's ick on occasion, he doesn't have a central system in his store, but individual filters. Id go with a local fish geek first any day....
I wish the local fish store I had nearby was as good as yours. I lost one fish due to advice given by my local store, and they were 3 to 4 times more expensive than the chain store we have. After losing the first fish we went to our Petco and got some decent advice, and the same products for a fraction of the price. Not saying all local stores are bad, but it might be worth while to go to both if you think something is up with the local store. I would, however, advise ignoring anything Walmart tells you.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

233 posts, read 253,627 times
So really, if I don't know a well experienced aquarist to get some media from, my best bet is to just use the container bacteria you can buy and introduce some cheap fish....and let it cycle naturally?

That's kind of what I figured. I'll just get a test kit and keep an eye on the cycling process.

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM

371 posts, read 341,096 times
I really don't think seeding is particularly necessary-though it makes the process faster. I'm sure those bacteria make it into the tank so long as you add anything organic-plants, etc. etc.

Hardy fish certainly don't have to be added-any source of nitrogen will work. So, heck, you could even put a little bit of pee into the tank.

Also, with heavily planted tanks the cycle frequently does not occur as violently as is traditionally laid out-meaning most fish can survive even new planted tanks.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 PM

4,187 posts, read 12,010,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
So really, if I don't know a well experienced aquarist to get some media from, my best bet is to just use the container bacteria you can buy and introduce some cheap fish....and let it cycle naturally?

That's kind of what I figured. I'll just get a test kit and keep an eye on the cycling process.

Thanks everyone.

I have heard of hobbyist using raw shrimp to cycle their tank on some of the fish forum.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,901,246 times
Google fishless cycling. You can use certain grade of bottled ammonia to do it. Used filter media or decorations good too.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
Hardy fish certainly don't have to be added-any source of nitrogen will work. So, heck, you could even put a little bit of pee into the tank..
Yep ... That's some great advise right there. Pee in your tank !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish