Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Reputation: 4140

Advertisements

It's been over 20 years since I had an aquarium, but I'm thinking about getting back into it with a nano tank. The idea is to set up a small 6 gallon tank for a few months and if that goes well, then set up a larger planted tank.

I'd like to stock the tank with only fish and invertebrates that are red, blue or a mix of red and blue, and would appreciate some suggestions. So far, the options I've come up with are:
  • Betta
  • cardinal tetra
  • neon tetra
  • chili rasbora
  • red cherry shrimp

Are there any other fish/invertebrates I should be thinking about? Ideally, the blues and reds would be deep blues and deep reds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,187 posts, read 11,940,257 times
Reputation: 3514
I would do it the other way around. Start with a 30 gallon instead of 6 gallon. Those smaller tank setup may end up costing more than a standard size tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I would do it the other way around. Start with a 30 gallon instead of 6 gallon. Those smaller tank setup may end up costing more than a standard size tank.
Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the budget. This exercise is mostly to see how it would fit into family life. The last time I had an aquarium, we were kids with lots of time on our hands. Now, I'd like to figure out how to fit maintenance into a grown-up life with wife and toddlers: who can we get to take care of it when we travel, get to know the local fish stores, get some aquascaping ideas, etc.

If everything goes well (my family likes having the aquarium, we have a go-to fish store for questions and help, etc.), then I'll try to set up something larger and nicer. If you do have ideas for red / blue fish for larger tanks, I'd be interested in hearing those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,187 posts, read 11,940,257 times
Reputation: 3514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Thanks. I'm not too concerned about the budget. This exercise is mostly to see how it would fit into family life. The last time I had an aquarium, we were kids with lots of time on our hands. Now, I'd like to figure out how to fit maintenance into a grown-up life with wife and toddlers: who can we get to take care of it when we travel, get to know the local fish stores, get some aquascaping ideas, etc.

If everything goes well (my family likes having the aquarium, we have a go-to fish store for questions and help, etc.), then I'll try to set up something larger and nicer. If you do have ideas for red / blue fish for larger tanks, I'd be interested in hearing those too.
Honestly, I would stay away from LFS. I highly suggest your join a forum like The Planted Tank Forum - Powered by vBulletin

The fish you are interested in doesn't require a lot of maintenance. A good filter and you can do water change about once every two week. This is why it's important to go bigger rather than smaller.

If budget isn't your concern and you want colorful fresh water fish. Get a bigger tank and go for discus. However, they are very high maintenance. I had discus about 35 years ago and took quite a few years off until my son was 1 year old. I was home more so I started back up with a 40 gallon tank discus tank. It turned into a fish room until 2 years ago. I still have 6 tanks running.

Even when I had my fish room running in the basement, I could go away for 2 weeks and not worry about it after some pre-trip planning. It's not like having a dog or cat that you need someone to take care of.

Once you have an established tank (larger ones).. You really don't do much once you find the right balance of fish, plants and light. One of my main tank is a 90 gallon and I don't do much with the tank. They get food with an auto feeder. I clean the tank once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Honestly, I would stay away from LFS. I highly suggest your join a forum like The Planted Tank Forum - Powered by vBulletin

The fish you are interested in doesn't require a lot of maintenance. A good filter and you can do water change about once every two week. This is why it's important to go bigger rather than smaller.

If budget isn't your concern and you want colorful fresh water fish. Get a bigger tank and go for discus. However, they are very high maintenance. I had discus about 35 years ago and took quite a few years off until my son was 1 year old. I was home more so I started back up with a 40 gallon tank discus tank. It turned into a fish room until 2 years ago. I still have 6 tanks running.

Even when I had my fish room running in the basement, I could go away for 2 weeks and not worry about it after some pre-trip planning. It's not like having a dog or cat that you need someone to take care of.

Once you have an established tank (larger ones).. You really don't do much once you find the right balance of fish, plants and light. One of my main tank is a 90 gallon and I don't do much with the tank. They get food with an auto feeder. I clean the tank once a month.
I've definitely noticed a difference in quality in some of the fish stores. There's a local one that I'm planning on steering clear of (dirty tanks, some of them had dead fish) but there's another one that seems promising. The store is pretty clean and they have some beautiful marine and freshwater tanks set up. From what I've overheard, the staff seem also pretty helpful and friendly. I've perused the plantedtank site a bit, which is where I found most of the suggestions I listed, but I hate all the links and pop-ups on those forums.

I do plan on moving to a larger tank in a few months, the nano tank is more of a "Proof of Concept" to test the waters (in a matter of speaking). In addition to all the things I previously mentioned, I also want to try different locations in the house to make sure the kids can easily see it and assist with feeding (with a little help) but not easily reach inside on their own. I do have one spot that I think might be perfect, but it's a little close to a window so I want to make sure it doesn't get too warm or get too much sunlight. If I can find a spot that keeps the temps in the nano pretty stable, it should be a good spot for a larger tank.

I think I might also need some time to find the right tank. I'm hoping to find something like the 36" x 12" x 12" 22g Mr. Aqua bookshelf tank, but a little longer (maybe 4 or 5 feet) and perhaps not as deep or tall.

Back on the topic of blue/red fish, I just red about blue velvet shrimp, which are a variation of RCS. Unfortunately, none of the LFS carry them, but it seems like you can order them online. Does anyone have any experience ordering live fish online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
Reputation: 9684
personally id go with the betta and a bunch of cherry shrimp...

neons, cardinals and rasboras are all schoal fish, they need groups of 6 or more to realy be happy in their environment and at a minmum of 2" adult size that's a minimum of 12 gallons Just for a small group of 1 species.

a nice betta (here are some fantastic tail variations out there well beyond the basic veil and crowntail types) and a group of shrimp in a beautiful planted tank would look fantastic, (and very zen)

save your smaller tetras and rasboras for when you move up to a larger tank and can realy display a large group...

so far my favorite ever tank was a pair of discus and about 50 neon tetra in a 125 gallon planted tank, that school of neons just looks stunning!!! I have a school of 15 in my 55 with some young angels and I love watching them as a big group...I just don't think they shine in smaller groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Reputation: 57884
Look up Red Platy, they are livebearers and may produce offspring for you. If you can find it, the German Blue Ram is a great looking blue fish, as is the Peacock Cichlid. They are all larger, expensive and grow big though. We have a 10 gallon to entertain the grandkids when they come over, and stick to the Glofish. They also come in both red and blue, plus green, pink and yellow, are inexpensive and small. They zip around very fast and are fun to watch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glof...h1LhBYh9_6E%3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
personally id go with the betta and a bunch of cherry shrimp...

neons, cardinals and rasboras are all schoal fish, they need groups of 6 or more to realy be happy in their environment and at a minmum of 2" adult size that's a minimum of 12 gallons Just for a small group of 1 species.

a nice betta (here are some fantastic tail variations out there well beyond the basic veil and crowntail types) and a group of shrimp in a beautiful planted tank would look fantastic, (and very zen)

save your smaller tetras and rasboras for when you move up to a larger tank and can realy display a large group...

so far my favorite ever tank was a pair of discus and about 50 neon tetra in a 125 gallon planted tank, that school of neons just looks stunning!!! I have a school of 15 in my 55 with some young angels and I love watching them as a big group...I just don't think they shine in smaller groups.
I like the idea of the betta, but would like to have more than just one creature in the tank. If I were to go with a single betta and then a mix of red cherry shrimp and blue velvet shrimp, would the betta tolerate the shrimp or would it make short work of anything it could fit in it's mouth?

The 50 neon school sounds amazing. Was this something you saw in real life or in a video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
4,663 posts, read 4,556,343 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Look up Red Platy, they are livebearers and may produce offspring for you. If you can find it, the German Blue Ram is a great looking blue fish, as is the Peacock Cichlid. They are all larger, expensive and grow big though. We have a 10 gallon to entertain the grandkids when they come over, and stick to the Glofish. They also come in both red and blue, plus green, pink and yellow, are inexpensive and small. They zip around very fast and are fun to watch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glof...h1LhBYh9_6E%3D
The Red Platy also looks promising. How many would you keep in a nano tank? 4 to 6? Would they leave dream blue velvet shrimp alone? I'm ok if they snack on the shrimp fry, but I'd like to at least keep the original adults around.

The Red and Blue tetra glofish also seem like a great option, especially once we move to a bigger tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
Reputation: 9684
as long as theres plant cover for the shrimp they should do fine, I have a female betta sorority tank (10 gallon with 5 girls) and about 20 cherry shrimp, been running for about 4 yrs now with no issues, occasionally ill loose a shrimp here or there, but they've got plenty of cover and I keep my girls well fed. I don't frequently see fry shrimp so im ssuming my girls keep the population of those fairly under control but my shrimp population remains fairly stable so im sure at least some of the fry are making it through to adulthood.

bettas actually do fairly well with other fish as long as he doesn't seem them as competition (ie guppies or gourmis) or fin nipped like barbs.
they are naturally surface feeders (eating insects off the waters surface, hence the up turned mouth) so don't typically bother fish/critters in the lower levels of the tank.

the discus tank belongs to a frined
but this vid gives you a nice idea of how a larger school looks in a big tank...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7innxmsHE
I would also suggest going for a black substrate to REALY show off the colors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top