Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

Can you just have males only in fantail gold fish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Default question about fantail goldfish

I was wondering if you have to have male and femalel fantails, or can you just have male or females only and if you have females only, can they still lay eggs or not.Idont like to see the chasing when both sexes are in the same tank.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 PM

Default fantailgild fish

I dont know what you mean by saying to lengthen my message to 1 character.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:59 PM

10,408 posts, read 8,099,646 times
Goldfish don't have to be kept in mixed-sex groups. You can have only one sex of goldfish (fantail or otherwise) in your pond or tank if that's what you prefer. Of course, in order to do that, you have to be capable of accurately sexing the fish, and that's not always easy!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:53 PM

32,805 posts, read 48,679,119 times
I'm not sure how you go about sexing goldfish. I never had much chasing with fan tails or veil tails. They tend to be very fat and very slow moving. If there were a chase, it would look like a slow stroll.

I never had any fighting, either, so I can't imagine there would be any problem with having a tank of all males.

The thing with goldfish is that they can get rather large,. They need a lot of tank space and they need an extensive filtration system. You have to keep on top of the pH of the water, becasue if it gets off, that damages the tails. There is little point in keeping fantails if you aren't willing to do the work to maintain gorgeous large flowing tails.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:38 PM

10,408 posts, read 8,099,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not sure how you go about sexing goldfish.
When the fish are in breeding condition, the males develop small bumps (called 'breeding tubercles") on their gill covers and on the front edge of their pectoral fins near where the fins attach to their body. These bumps aren't always easy to see!

There are also subtler clues, but they're even harder to reliably distinguish than the males' breeding bumps.

How to Tell if Your Goldfish Is a Male or Female: 10 Steps

Quote:
The thing with goldfish is that they can get rather large,. They need a lot of tank space and they need an extensive filtration system. You have to keep on top of the pH of the water, becasue if it gets off, that damages the tails. There is little point in keeping fantails if you aren't willing to do the work to maintain gorgeous large flowing tails.
This is very, very true. Most varieties of goldfish (although not fantails) are best kept as pond fish, because most people can't give them a large enough tank for them to really thrive indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish