Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 03:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
^^^ Please ignore. Many species can survive neglect, many cant. If you're going to get a tank, do the exact opposite of this guy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
BrianH I apparently must spread the Rep Love before I can give you more!
Hey, I'm just telling you what I experienced when I had my tank. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, I'm just telling you what happened.

I had my tank going for 8 or 9 years, and some of the fish I started with in the early stages were still around when I closed up shop. In fact the only reason I left my tank up as long as I did was because I had an iridescent shark that was one of my first fish that I was waiting for him to die before I packed everything up. He lived about seven years and when he croaked, that's when I folded everything up.

You got to remember, these fish in nature live in rivers and streams with all sorts of bugs, bacteria, plant life, algae, and who knows what else. They don't care if the water is "crystal clear" and it rarely is in their natural habitats, and no one's testing the PH or the nitrite and nitrate levels in the amazon either.

Your experience may differ, I don't doubt that, and I'm not saying you are wrong, nor am I saying my methods were right. If you want a tank that is pleasant to look at, then I would agree with you, don't do what I did.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 03-25-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
but in their natural habitat the water is CONSTANTLY flowing, refreshing, being constantly changed by evaporation and rainfall...in a fishtank those natural processes don't exist, there is nothing removing the ammonium build up because the water in that little glass box is stagnant, it has nowhere to go...its not being changed out by constant freshwater flow, or daily rainfall...
in a natural environment that process is also aided by constant natural filtration in the form of living plant life. the plants and algea filter out the waste from the fish and run off using it fertilizer. efectivly managing the same nitrates and nitrites and ammonia that we as aquarists must do ourselves in a man made environemtn (this is why natural live fully planted tanks are much more stable and require LESS maintence than tanks with just plastic plants and a filter)
same goes for all that bacteria and those bugs...
for all the bad bacteria that can get washd into natural water ways (most of which the direct result of us humans) theres TONS of beneficial bacteria...the same beneficial bacteria that we as aquarists TRY to encourage to grow in our filtration systems and gravel beds...
in the mean time those aquatic bugs and insects aid by eating missed food, decaying matter, and managing fih over population during early ry stages...

NONE of which can happen in an unnatural MAN MADE glass box.

And as a matter of fact, there are people REGULARLY testing the water parameters of some of the worlds major water ways...we know the average ph, nitrate and nitrite levels of the amaon river, thanks to biological surveys in the areas being done to protect the native species, water ways and environment...

WE must remember that most fish kept in the aquatic hobby come form areas of FLOWING water....areas where the water in their environment is never sitting stagnant for very long...
Even betta fish who are often mis represented as living in tiny puddles, only spend a few days at MOST in those rice patty puddles, they get washed in, then the water drains and they get stuck, but its only a few days before the water ways swell and fill the paty fields again and wash em out or replenish the puddles with fresh clean water...

Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
but in their natural habitat the water is CONSTANTLY flowing, refreshing, being constantly changed by evaporation and rainfall...in a fishtank those natural processes don't exist, there is nothing removing the ammonium build up because the water in that little glass box is stagnant, it has nowhere to go...its not being changed out by constant freshwater flow, or daily rainfall...
in a natural environment that process is also aided by constant natural filtration in the form of living plant life. the plants and algea filter out the waste from the fish and run off using it fertilizer. efectivly managing the same nitrates and nitrites and ammonia that we as aquarists must do ourselves in a man made environemtn (this is why natural live fully planted tanks are much more stable and require LESS maintence than tanks with just plastic plants and a filter)
same goes for all that bacteria and those bugs...
for all the bad bacteria that can get washd into natural water ways (most of which the direct result of us humans) theres TONS of beneficial bacteria...the same beneficial bacteria that we as aquarists TRY to encourage to grow in our filtration systems and gravel beds...
in the mean time those aquatic bugs and insects aid by eating missed food, decaying matter, and managing fih over population during early ry stages...

NONE of which can happen in an unnatural MAN MADE glass box.

And as a matter of fact, there are people REGULARLY testing the water parameters of some of the worlds major water ways...we know the average ph, nitrate and nitrite levels of the amaon river, thanks to biological surveys in the areas being done to protect the native species, water ways and environment...

WE must remember that most fish kept in the aquatic hobby come form areas of FLOWING water....areas where the water in their environment is never sitting stagnant for very long...
Even betta fish who are often mis represented as living in tiny puddles, only spend a few days at MOST in those rice patty puddles, they get washed in, then the water drains and they get stuck, but its only a few days before the water ways swell and fill the paty fields again and wash em out or replenish the puddles with fresh clean water...
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, and I've read enough of your posts on here to know that you know what you're talking about. I'm just telling you that I severely neglected my tank for extended periods of time, and it did just fine. Maybe it was a freak of nature.

I guess my point to new aquarists is, if you don't have the cash on hand for ( expensive ? ) test kits right away.... don't sweat it. You'll be fine without it for a few weeks or months until you can afford it.
Another tip for newbs is that some shops will test your water for you. My local shop does it for free.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 03-28-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM

I do agree with that, MOST live fish stores will test your water...
though I do suggest going to a specialty fish store, Petco and petsmart use test strips (dunk and wait) they are much less accurate) and most employees have little to no training, so wouldn't know what there looking at or how to help you fix it, a GOOD Live fis store will use a full api stle lquid test kit, and be able to give you a real good idea of exactly where your tank stands, what needs to be impved (ie more frequent water changes) ect....NEVER be afraid to ask at your local GOOD live fish specialty store...they should eb more than willing to help you with parameter testing

Old 03-30-2016, 10:04 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
I think there is a word for ignoring your tank, basically neglecting it and everything surviving it and I cant remember what it is. In a nutshell its become stagnant and crappy. If you work on improving you can crash the tank.

I also wouldn't trust the strips they use, I prefer the API drops. I had my ammonia "low" and they keep saying its OK to be that low when I know there is no such thing as good ammonia.

I was on a once a week water change but am down every fortnight, I think my tank does OK because of the amount of plants I have in there.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM

The tank I have up now, I take much better care of...

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 03-31-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 03:18 PM

good to hear whipper, a well tended tank is a joy to behold!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
good to hear whipper, a well tended tank is a joy to behold!
Right now I really only have the space for a 10 gallon. That's all that is practical in my situation, and a 10g really limits creativity. I'd love to have a 40 or 55g, but I digress.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:27 PM

smaller tanks are definatly harder, but there are some STUNNING nano setups out there
google 10 gallon planted tank and you should get some good ideas, ost of which can also be recreated with silk and plastic plants too

Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:
smaller tanks are definatly harder, but there are some STUNNING nano setups out there
google 10 gallon planted tank and you should get some good ideas, ost of which can also be recreated with silk and plastic plants too
Here's a bad cell phone pic of my current setup...

Attached Thumbnails
The Fish Tank Cycle...-aquarium-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish