Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 AM

239 posts, read 699,536 times

Advertisements

We first owned fish when my 9 year old son won a goldfish at the fair last summer. We ended up with three goldfish (because they need friends.) We had a 10 gallon tank and moved to a 30 gallon tank for the goldfish.

He is really into the fish so he got a 60 gallon for Christmas. We set it up, cycled it without fish the best we could and got a red tail shark and two angel fish. One angel fish died rather quickly and we got a new one. We were letting the tank cycle with the three small fish. We monitored the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and it seemed fine. About two-three weeks ago we added a pictus catfish and two velvet wag swordtails.

Two days ago we noticed the catfish was not himself and saw he had ich. I went and bought the Marineland Ick Remedy and used a half dosage which was advised due to the catfish not having scales. The temperature was 78.5, so I turned it up to about 80F. The top temperature for the red tail shark is supposed to be 79F so I didn't want to turn it up anymore.

By last night, the catfish and one swordtail had died (it had a weird white thing on a fin that looks like fuzz ball too.) By this morning, the second of the two angel fish (smaller) had died. Truly, the red tail looks really bad, as does the larger angel fish. The second sword tail looks great.

I do not know what to do?? I have a really upset 9 year old son right now.

Also, as far as water changes, this bucket and spigot thing is not working for me, but how else do you treat the tape water and have it at the correct temperature before adding it to the tank? I've checked YouTube videos and they do not seem to treat the tap water first?

Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
The best way in my experience is to turn up the temperature, bring it up to about 86 degrees. Keep it at that temp for 7 to 10 days. Yes, tropicals should be held at 78 max but they can tolerate the higher temps for a while. You can gague it by how your fish act. Also, when you turn up the temp like that you need to aerate it, so add another pump and stone. Do daily 25% changes or so and change your filters, I make my own so that end is not a big deal. Add a teaspoon of salt per gallon of the tank. That should in theory get rid of your issues with ick.

Its always best to put a new fish in a treatment tank for a few weeks before putting it in the main tank if you can.

For water changes I use a syphon with a 30 foot hose and drain it into my garden bed outside, best of both worlds in feeding the plants and not wasting water etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The best way in my experience is to turn up the temperature, bring it up to about 86 degrees. Keep it at that temp for 7 to 10 days. Yes, tropicals should be held at 78 max but they can tolerate the higher temps for a while. You can gague it by how your fish act. Also, when you turn up the temp like that you need to aerate it, so add another pump and stone. Do daily 25% changes or so and change your filters, I make my own so that end is not a big deal. Add a teaspoon of salt per gallon of the tank. That should in theory get rid of your issues with ick.

Its always best to put a new fish in a treatment tank for a few weeks before putting it in the main tank if you can.

For water changes I use a syphon with a 30 foot hose and drain it into my garden bed outside, best of both worlds in feeding the plants and not wasting water etc.
I have two air pumps right now...would that be sufficient for turning up the temperature? I also noticed some white "fuzz"....is this a separate issue?

How do you add in the new water? Do you treat it first?

We have the 10 gallon tank available now, so from now on we will use it to isolate new fish. We had already had these fish for a couple weeks so I thought we were out of the woods. :-(

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
The white fuzz is probably a fungal infection, so yes, it's a separate issue.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:47 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
And while you are doing that, check the pH of the water. If that is off, your fish can develop skin issues.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM

I will check on the fungal infection right now. I hope it isn't too late for the red tail since he is the "favorite".

The pH was 7.2 when I checked last night. Ammonia was 0, Nitrite was 0 and Nitrate was 1-2 ppm.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM

Well, in the time that I went to Petsmart to get the fungus medicine the red tail and other angel fish died. We are down to one velvet wag swordtail. So 5 out of 6 fish died in the last 24 hours.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacersFan View Post
I have two air pumps right now...would that be sufficient for turning up the temperature? I also noticed some white "fuzz"....is this a separate issue?

How do you add in the new water? Do you treat it first?

We have the 10 gallon tank available now, so from now on we will use it to isolate new fish. We had already had these fish for a couple weeks so I thought we were out of the woods. :-(

Thanks for your help!
Yeah the two air pumps should be good, just watch the fish. If they are gasping or lathargic you can add more. The white fuzz is probably different, but the good news is I would personally start with a salt treatment for that.

For adding new water I just go straight from the outside tap into the tank. I do add Prime first though.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
I think you're also supposed to remove the chemical filter (charcoal) when treating the tank. Throw it away, and once the ich has been cured, use new charcoal.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
You need to establish your tank with hardy fish for a couple of weeks first. Change the water, and add 5 to 8 zebra danios. You can add more fish after 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish