Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

looking good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Bit of a plumbing problem.
I had planned to use my hang off the back filter to filter the water and in the process create a waterfall with the out flowing water,problem is the thing wont pump, got water in the filter, got the pickup tube in the water and the pump is running it just wont pump the water.
I'm wondering if the water level in the Paludarium is now too low and the motor doesnt have the power to pump the water from the new water level up to the pump hanging off the back of the Aquarium.looks like this one=http://www.petsolutions.com/images/P...s/47464002.jpg
When i was into the Aquarium the pump only had to pump the water an inch to reach the pump now it has to pump the water a good 8-12 inches to reach the pump.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...pshgyxm0pc.jpg
Thoughts?

Last edited by jambo101; 04-15-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Bit of a plumbing problem.
I had planned to use my hang off the back filter to filter the water and in the process create a waterfall with the out flowing water,problem is the thing wont pump, got water in the filter, got the pickup tube in the water and the pump is running it just wont pump the water.
I'm wondering if the water level in the Paludarium is now too low and the motor doesnt have the power to pump the water from the new water level up to the pump hanging off the back of the Aquarium.
When i was into the Aquarium the pump only had to pump the water an inch now it has to pump the water a good8-12 inches.
Thoughts?

You're probably right, it can't get a siphon going. You might be able to get it started by priming the lift tube but it will likely operate on the edge of stopping if the water level drops by just a little bit.

Years and years ago when the first motorized filters came out, you always had to dip the tube and fill it up even with a full tank, it just wouldn't start a siphon on its own.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Makes sense but i dont know how to fill that pickup tube with water as any attempt will just have the water running out the bottom of the tube. Perhaps i need a different kind of filter.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Makes sense but i dont know how to fill that pickup tube with water as any attempt will just have the water running out the bottom of the tube. Perhaps i need a different kind of filter.

How I did it was to completely submerge the tube, block the upper end and then lift that end out of the water, keeping the bottom in water (although it might stay in any way like when you block the end of a straw and lift it out of the drink) and then put it in the filter box. Make sure the filter box is full of water.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks . however i went to the pet store and asked the guy what he was using to filter the water in his paludariums.
Evidently this is what i need=
https://undergroundreptiles.com/shop...rarium-filter/
And it just happened to be on sale at$37.99 from $47.99

Old 04-16-2016, 09:07 AM

That didnt work as it too easily gets jammed up with sand and its size is rather hard to hide.
Not sure what other options i have With the very few tiny fish i'll have in this paludarium i could probably get by with no filter at all but to prevent stagnation i would like the water moving to some degree.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
a small tabletop/desktop fountain pump would see you by if your not putting a lot of fish in...you can even make a small filter system for it by getting a small black basket (Black is eaiest to hide) some fishtank carbon, a ladies stocking and some filter media (most live fish stores carry the media and carbon (and carbon bags but a stocking will work jus as well) line the basket with the media filter put the desktop fountain pump in (make sure it has enough lift to get you the needed height) then pack carbon into the stocking and wrap around the fountain pump...you can put another piece of filter media ontop to secure then lay something a little heavier (rock/slate) ontop of the basket to hold everything down
the filter media and carbon will keep anything from getting sucked in and clogging the pump while also acting like the media in your HOB filter and a bed for beneficial bacteria too. essentially turning the little fountain pump into a submersed mini pond filter.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 AM

Still working on that plumbing problem, i have a small canister filter that i'm going to try and fit to the tank before trying other options.
.Now have sand and water in the tank however its obvious the tank now needs some color=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psdr8v1sai.jpg

Old 04-20-2016, 04:04 AM

7,004 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Still working on that plumbing problem, i have a small canister filter that i'm going to try and fit to the tank before trying other options.
.Now have sand and water in the tank however its obvious the tank now needs some color=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psdr8v1sai.jpg
I love it! Can't wait til you get that filter up and running! Plants will bring you some color.

Looking forward to your next pics, Jambo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish