Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 04:18 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

I draw the line when it comes to purchasing goldfish. Extra long tail is fine. Fantail is fine and that's where I draw the line. Most fantails just have long split tails with slightly bigger body. But, pretty much anything else, including the Oranda is cruel. They are basically handicap fish. Extra large cheek, head, and even in the case of Oranda, it looks like cancer growing on its head. The ones with eyes sticking out.....don't let get started.

What's your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
When at the pet store looking for fish to stock my aquarium i usually bypass the goldfish tanks as i find most of the goldfish species kind of ugly. although they are the go to fish for outdoor ponds.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Goldfish in my experience are a dirtier fish that place a heavier bioload on the tank. I won't have any in my aquarium.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,673 times
Oranda goldfish are awesome as they are very active when they are young and they are so cute.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:24 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Why is this a bash the goldfish thread? I have crown pearlscales and I love them. If you don't like them, then don't keep them. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to keep them. Cut out the crap about them being ugly because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Your opinion is just that... your opinion. Nothing more.

Goldfish has been around for a long time and it's a cultural legacy of the Chinese and to a lesser extent the Japanese. If you don't like them, so What?

Old 11-03-2016, 05:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why is this a bash the goldfish thread? I have crown pearlscales and I love them. If you don't like them, then don't keep them. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to keep them. Cut out the crap about them being ugly because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Your opinion is just that... your opinion. Nothing more.

Goldfish has been around for a long time and it's a cultural legacy of the Chinese and to a lesser extent the Japanese. If you don't like them, so What?
Yep, I agree.

People get very preachy about fish- like any pets really. Fancy goldfish aren't my thing... but I say do what works for you

Some people just want a goldfish bowl.

Others want to spend $10k on a high-tech reef tank.

I have a cichlid tank upstairs in my living room with all filtration equipment downstairs: two sumps, two heaters, three filters, four pumps, an algae scrubber, and a deep sand filter- keeping it and a few other tanks on the 'system' clean.

All of these can be done well. No need for folks to get uptight about it

Old 11-17-2016, 03:21 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yep, I agree.

People get very preachy about fish- like any pets really. Fancy goldfish aren't my thing... but I say do what works for you

Some people just want a goldfish bowl.

Others want to spend $10k on a high-tech reef tank.

I have a cichlid tank upstairs in my living room with all filtration equipment downstairs: two sumps, two heaters, three filters, four pumps, an algae scrubber, and a deep sand filter- keeping it and a few other tanks on the 'system' clean.

All of these can be done well. No need for folks to get uptight about it
Yes, but the goldfish bowl, the source for so many miserable goldfish death, should be banned. No fish should be in a bowl except for perhaps a lone male betta and that should be a big bowl.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
I LOVE goldfish...
But I agree, Bowls of should be banned, and telling people how dirty goldies are (fact) isn't bashing the fish, just stating that whle many a child has a goldfish in a bowl, its not ideal, its not good for the fis and we shoud be eductating ourselves to provide better living situations even for a "lowly fish"

Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,081 times
Goldfish are great fish. They are as smart as cichlids, but without the aggression problems. They come in all sorts of colors and other variations, so you are bound to find something you like.

I would agree that some breeds are a little too 'altered' and it is against the best interest of the fish in some breeds, but I wouldn't draw the line where the original poster does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish