U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 10,093 times

Advertisements

thinking of getting fish tank in a few months and then fish a bit after that. Any advice.
I guess i'm gonna have to cycle it and buy some stuff. was thinking of a 10 gallon. thanks.
could i get some minnows from the creek and put them in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 885,484 times
A 10 gallon would work if you don't crowd the tank. My husband had a 10 gallon but quickly upgrade to 40 gallon plus he has a 55 gallon rank for his cichlids. I would suggest getting at least a 20 gallon, in case you want to add more fish or decor. Not only that, you won't have to clean as often as the 10.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM

thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm waiting a few months before i get a tank and do research, because i may have ended up getting a 2 gallon tank or something nuts! I believe i will have room for a 10 gallon tank in the house, maybe a 20 gallon might fit too. I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a fancy tank and equitment, if fish are not my thing.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM

11,908 posts, read 4,177,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium View Post
thanks for the reply! I'm glad I'm waiting a few months before i get a tank and do research, because i may have ended up getting a 2 gallon tank or something nuts! I believe i will have room for a 10 gallon tank in the house, maybe a 20 gallon might fit too. I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a fancy tank and equitment, if fish are not my thing.
I'm glad you are doing your research before getting started. Too many people do not.

I would like to add a couple of other thoughts. First of all, find out what your local water is like. Some fish like a higher pH, some like it lower, and if the fish you choose don't like the water you have, you may end up with a lot more work on your hands.

Get the largest tank you have room for, and remember that surface area matters. I would choose a 20 long over a standard 20 any day.

Make sure that your fish are compatible, and don't fall for the cute little Oscar that will grow up to eat everything in sight before outgrowing your tank.

I would not use any wild fish to cycle the tank. You could end up introducing parasites and disease. Decide what kind of tank you want and then add a few of the hardiest fish that please you. Most people start out with what is called a "community tank," which means a few different kinds of popular fish. I don't care for them much, because a lot of the most popular fish have wildly different needs. It always bugs me to see neon or cardinal tetras kept with mollies, for example.

While you are learning, please learn about appropriate plants. Live plants can be invaluable to a successful aquarium.

If you really want to keep it simple, you could get a smaller tank and a single Betta. They are gorgeous fish, but they don't play well with others, and you should forget everything you have seen at pet stores. Those little cups and barren bowls they keep them in are awful. I am thinking of getting a 5-gallon tank, myself, planting it lavishly, and making it a home for one very spoiled Betta.

Keep reading and learning, and good luck with your first go at fishkeeping!

Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,344,994 times
Please get your fish from an aquarium shop and not some horrible place like Wal-Mart, Pet-Smart, those kinds of places that sell everything and know nothing.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:28 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,141,110 times
The minimum size tank I would get would be a 10 gallon, 20 is better. Don't bother with a 2 gallon. If you use a heater, which you need with tropical fish you will get better more even heating with a 10 or above. With a 2 gallon the heat fluctuations will be too much. Start out will a small school of neon tetras 4-5 small ones, an inexpensive and easy fish. When setting up your tank you should not add too many at one time, so maybe start with 2 tetras. Tanks usually have a spike of ammonia when first adding fish until it becomes biologically stable. There are things you can add to water to help a starter tank. Also. Have it set up and running with no fish for a week or more and get heat stabilized and well aerated. I don't know off hand the correct temperature needed, it has been a while since I've had a tank. You can buy a decent package of everything you need from a pet store to get started.

Here is a link to some good basic info on set up.
https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-10-2018 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 AM

230 posts, read 176,279 times
Do some research on the fish that you want to get, the environment they require, and if the fish you would like to have are compatible with each other. Sometimes it helps to know if your fish are school fish or not (like to travel together as it can be better to get 2 of them instead of one). Also, make sure you know how big you can expect your fish to be getting and how much room you will need for them. I remember seeing someone return an algae eater back to the pet store because it got "too big" for her tank and the pet store did let her trade her fish for a different one. Also, do your best to buy your fish from a reputable source, as I have seen too many pet stores with sick, dead, or dying fish.

Make sure you get a good filter and also a thermometer for the tank. I remember seeing a couple keep coming back to the pet store for fish and they would say, "Our fish keep dying! What's going wrong?!" Turns out they never had the temperature right so there ya go.

I wouldn't put minnows from a nearby creek in your tank without knowing their exact environment since temperature and pH may be different. Also, there are so many unknown factors and some mentioned parasites and disease, which would be a major concern if other fish were introduced later or if it might be a parasite that can be passed onto humans. For your safety, it's probably best not to.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 AM

34 posts, read 20,626 times
Don't do it. Get a cat instead. Way less work and cuddlier too. Fish are high maintenance, and will break your heart if/when they die (which is all too common with beginners).

Old 02-10-2018, 04:50 AM

11,908 posts, read 4,177,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
The minimum size tank I would get would be a 10 gallon, 20 is better. Don't bother with a 2 gallon. If you use a heater, which you need with tropical fish you will get better more even heating with a 10 or above. With a 2 gallon the heat fluctuations will be too much. Start out will a small school of neon tetras 4-5 small ones, an inexpensive and easy fish. When setting up your tank you should not add too many at one time, so maybe start with 2 tetras. Tanks usually have a spike of ammonia when first adding fish until it becomes biologically stable. There are things you can add to water to help a starter tank. Also. Have it set up and running with no fish for a week or more and get heat stabilized and well aerated. I don't know off hand the correct temperature needed, it has been a while since I've had a tank. You can buy a decent package of everything you need from a pet store to get started.

Here is a link to some good basic info on set up.
https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm
I agree with much of what you have said, except the choice of neon tetras as the first fish. Neons do best in larger groups, and having only two, or even 4-5, you won't get to see anything remotely like normal schooling behavior. I adore them, but they would not be my first choice for a 10-gallon tank. They would do better in a 20 long, but even then, I don't think I would get them as a first fish. One of my dream tanks, BTW, is a larger one, at least a 55 gallon, housing lots of neons or cardinals, a pair or two of rams, a few cory cats, some ottos, and lavishly furnished with sword plants, cabomba, and driftwood.

One really easy starter fish is the zebra danio. They aren't as flashy as some of the other kinds, but they are still fun to watch, as they are very active and not at all shy. They do not need a heater unless your house is quite chilly, but unless you want to make a tank just for them, you should still plan to get one for the sake of future additions. White cloud minnows are another species that does not require a heater. I had a small tank just for them at one point, and I liked it. Try putting some Java fern in the tank for them (or for any fish, really). It's a very hardy plant that almost anyone can keep alive. It is the ultimate beginner's plant, and very attractive, as well.

You might also check out some of the rasporas and smaller barbs. I love tiger barbs, particularly the green tigers, but they can hard on your other fish when kept in very small numbers. I would not keep them with any long-finned tankmates. Not a good choice for a 10-gallon, and keeping them in a 20 would probably be pushing it.

I don't see any need to run the tank for a week before adding fish. It doesn't take that long for the temperature to stabilize.

More suggestions for the OP:

Do get test kits. If you have done your research, you will know about them. Some pet stores will test your water chemistry for you, gratis, but I always liked being able to do this myself, especially when my tanks were getting established, or when I added new fish.

Don't forget to do regular small water changes. They are critical to a healthy aquarium.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's all too possible to put in not only too many fish, but too many kinds of fish. It's best to pick a few species that you really like and have multiples than to have one or two of this and that. There are exceptions, of course - cichlids will pair off and defend their territory and offspring - but most fish that would be appropriate for the tanks you are considering are more comfortable in a group.

Someone, at some point, will tell you that the proper stocking level is an inch of fish per gallon of water. All you need to do is look at the body mass of ten 1-inch guppies, as opposed to one 10-inch Oscar to understand why this is bad advice.

If you get a fish to control algae, please select it carefully. The plecos you see most often in pet stores can get much too big for most tanks. There are smaller varieties out there, but you have to look for them, and they will cost more.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Thank you for all the help! Can't wait to get some fish in a few months. Will have to get a heater no matter what since the house gets quite cold sometimes. I almost bought some a few weeks ago, but ended up deciding to let it warm up and do some research. Went over to the pet store and looked at fish and prices of equipment. Will have to post up more when i start putting it together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or