U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 AM

42,218 posts, read 61,019,137 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ Great link! Thank you!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:20 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,081,485 times
Silk plants work really well for bettas. You might try an air stone, but you might find the pump is rather noisy. If the tank is lightly stocked and the filter is of adequate size, it’s not an essential.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 PM

35,314 posts, read 44,078,131 times
Until you know what you are doing i'd avoid live plants as they die quickly, plastic plants can look really nice as in my tank that is all plastic plants =
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psb67a5ccc.jpg

Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM

Oh man, thats a beautiful tank! An inspiration!

BTW: I am planning to get silk plants only, except for the moss balls - it looks like a great toy for the (lonely) betta...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM

3,571 posts, read 2,983,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh man, thats a beautiful tank! An inspiration!

BTW: I am planning to get silk plants only, except for the moss balls - it looks like a great toy for the (lonely) betta...
He won’t be lonely. He will be king! They’re beautiful, friendly fish, and they do well solo.

If you’re really concerned, you could probably add maybe 3-5 tetras or rasboras. I’m partial to harlequin rasboras, they’re pretty and active.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM

Nono... I just want him to have toys...
Just one betta... less poop. I know my son family - no potted plants survived there for long, ever. Not even bamboo.
One easy going fish might...

Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM

3,924 posts, read 3,201,097 times
If you ever want to try a live plant, some types of moss are almost impossible to get wrong. My favorite right now is some Phoenix moss (fissidens fontanus) that I glued to a branching piece of driftwood that I purchased. It took a couple of weeks to grow out, but now it looks just like an underwater tree, and the bee shrimp love crawling in and around it.

If you Google "fissidens tree", you'll probably see some nice examples.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 AM

57,703 posts, read 4,266,314 times
If you do decide on live plants, read on how to bleach them before you add them to your tank, we had a snail invasion in our betta tank, which could only have come from the live plants we bought, & not knowing any better, put them right into his tank. Many of the shop live plants have snail eggs on them, really hard to see, & once in the tank, they are very hard to get rid of.
I hope your gd will love her new fish, bettas are so pretty.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:16 PM

8,815 posts, read 5,081,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If you ever want to try a live plant, some types of moss are almost impossible to get wrong.
Good choice!

Another unkillable plant (and one which unfortunately gets very little respect in the planted tank community) is duckweed. It lives up to the "weed" aspect of its name as it grows very quickly and can handle low light levels, and the betta might appreciate having some floating cover over part of its tank. It helps pull excessive nutrients out of the water, too. Just use a net and skim some/most of it off the top of the tank every day when you go to feed Mr. Betta, and it won't grow out of control.

I had duckweed in my heavily-planted 55 gallon, and because I was aggressive about keeping it under control it caused me no problems. And my gold barbs (which like some plant matter in their diet) loved it!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,270,067 times
You're off to a good start with one of these modern packaged tanks, especially since the new type LED lights are a lot safer than the old styles. Then again, my mom said I could have a tank in grade 3, as long as I was the one WHO CLEANED IT. make that a first rule!!

If you set up the tank under-stocked you will not have to clean it more than every four months. And underfeed. Betta do well with live plants (anubia on driftwood, vallisneria, and others that are problem free). I have a bottom buddy catfish (L-144 pleco) and black neons in a group. At first, the betta chased them and then found he couldn't catch them, so he gave up. Since we don't use chemicals, anything crawling goes into the tank! MUNCH!

iT'S PRETTY HILARIOUS and a lot of knowledge about water quality and science comes along with this hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or