Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

I had two goldfish and a koi in my pond, the water was green due to algae bloom (not strands, just green water), did water change+algicide, fish all died. I had them for two years. I'm guessing "safe for fish" means it isn't.

So heres the thing, is my choice green water and fish or no fish at all? If I can't see the fish, not much point in having them.

Is there any way of keeping clear water and fish that are alive? If not time to just pump and fill it with soil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Sounds like you might have issues with a clogged or broken circulation pump<
I'm surprised your only option is "green water and fish or no fish at all" I'd have a talk with your local pond supplier.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
id look into adding a UV sterilizer and some pond plants.
algea is typically the result of 1: too much sun, 2: too much food, 3: not enough filtration/too uch fertilizer.
deoending on what kind of pump/filtration you've got running youll probably need to add more (golds and koi are messy fish)
pond plants will hel immensely, they compete with the algea for nutrients form the water, thus adding natural filtration (and when established they will out compete) they also shade the pond surface, algea likes light, so the shade helps keep the algea down and also provdes shade for the fish.

a UV sterilizr will also help and you can get one that simply attatches to your current pump/filter.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
I only had three fish in there and didnt overfeed (to avoid waste problems) and there are plants, guess I can add more and look into UV filters.

It does get alot of sun though.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM

you could starve a gold fish and it would still put out a massive waste output lol, I swear carp can make poop out of fresh air lol.
My guess would be light issues primarily then, mabe try growing some vines up and over the pond to privde extra shade ect.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
did water change+algicide, fish all died.
Avoid using algaecides or unnatural chemicals, they can really mess up your water quality and be harmful to fish. Avoid really big water changes, too. You need to fix the issue with natural solutions, or as Foxy mentioned, a UV sterilizer.

Every spring I have green water in my pond, it takes a month or so to clear. What kind of pump are you using? How large is the pond? Make sure you have a good pump/filter with high filtration. For myself I wait it out, and it clears on it's own without my using any products. My pond gets part-sun and I have plants. I used to use the product below, which helps, but my pond is stable enough now that it's not much of an issue anymore.

Water Conditioners & Biological Additives for Ponds: Ecological Laboratories Microbe-Lift

Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM

I do agree that the algeacide is probably what killed the fish. had a frine use algaecide in her tank once...witin 24 hours her tank was "dead"

Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
I had turtles and gold fish in a small pond with no filter.
The water was dark green.

I created a waterfall with a small pump and I added a plant to the waterfall. Within hours the water water was crystal clear.

Some people call it a bog filter. The roots filter out the big matter and out compete the algae for nutrients so the algae quickly dies off

Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I had turtles and gold fish in a small pond with no filter.
The water was dark green.

I created a waterfall with a small pump and I added a plant to the waterfall. Within hours the water water was crystal clear.

Some people call it a bog filter. The roots filter out the big matter and out compete the algae for nutrients so the algae quickly dies off
I go through this every year, and in spring will drain/replace about 1/3 of the water, and add plants, usually water lettuce, and plug in the waterfall pump. This year I did that again, and 3 weeks later all 7 of my 6-8" goldfish got eaten by raccoons. In 20 years this is only the second time, though one year I did have 2 eaten by a Heron. Now I have unsightly chicken wire over it, with 10 new little feeders.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I go through this every year, and in spring will drain/replace about 1/3 of the water, and add plants, usually water lettuce, and plug in the waterfall pump. This year I did that again, and 3 weeks later all 7 of my 6-8" goldfish got eaten by raccoons. In 20 years this is only the second time, though one year I did have 2 eaten by a Heron. Now I have unsightly chicken wire over it, with 10 new little feeders.
I see raccoon droppings in my front yard but not at the back. I have 3 dogs and there are also about 6 cats that have taken up residence back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish