U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 AM

42,232 posts, read 61,035,753 times

Advertisements

Hi, please forgive me if this was already discussed.
I would like to purchase an aquarium. It's for my toddler granddaughter. My son thinks, that's a great idea and I want to give it as a gift.
Over the weekend, I did some research on the computer, and while, generally, tank kits don't have great reviews - this one seems to be better than others.
I understand that perhaps buying all parts separately would save me some money, but I think this kit is pretty reasonable, and with right decorative accessories could look really great.
Anyone has this model and what are you experiences?

My son family is really busy, so I was thinking about an easy to care fish that doesn't poop much. No messy eaters.
Probably room temperature water fish. (65-75F?)
Maybe 3 female bettas? Or livebearers? Neons? Tiger barbs? Danios? Guppies?
Keep just one kind or mix&match? (except betas, of course). Anything else to consider?
I have no clue or experience with fish, nor my son's family. ...

Your advice and tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 884,613 times
A group of tetras in a 10 gallon may work. Definitely stay away from goldfish. They poop a lot, and requires lots of tank space than most people think (2 goldfish in a 20 gallon minimum).

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM

3,571 posts, read 2,983,830 times
Actually, a single male betta would do well in that type of setup. They can get very tame and will recognize your granddaughter when she goes near the tank. And they’re beautiful and pretty east keepers.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM

8,816 posts, read 5,081,485 times
Don't get tiger barbs! They get very nippy when they're not kept in large groups.

I agree that a pretty male betta would be a good choice for a younger child. Fish don't get any easier than this!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM

9,989 posts, read 11,872,629 times
Common goldfish, not the fancy, are ideal. They're hardy, long-lived, and enjoyable to watch. They come in a variety of colors.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Common goldfish poop a lot, and they quickly outgrow a 10-gallon tank. They are really at their best as pond fish.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:35 PM

9,989 posts, read 11,872,629 times
Goldfish are easy to keep, but ignorance can kill them. I suggest reading the information on the linked website thoroughly before proceeding. Tropical fish require far more study and preparation. All life is precious so begin with care.

I suggest a fifteen gallon aquarium to begin since it has both 50% more surface area and 50% more capacity than a ten. I don't like twenties. They have no more surface area than a fifteen but a third more capacity.

As your knowledge grows, you'll learn about suitable tankmates.

12 mistakes new goldfish keepers make

Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Goldfish are easy to keep, but ignorance can kill them.
Yes indeed - such as thinking they can be kept healthy and lead a normal lifespan in a 15 gallon aquarium. Common goldfish well kept can grow to be more than a foot long, and they're thick-bodied. They also have a lifespan of 50 years or longer. The average home aquarium setup is completely unsuitable for them; it's simply not big enough. I kept mine in a 250-gallon pond (and I only had four of them).

A quotation on appropriate tank size for common goldfish, from another page on that very website you linked to: "Common goldfish: 4 feet long and a volume of at least 30 gallons. If you plan to keep more than one goldfish in your tank then add an extra 12 gallons for each additional fish." Do goldfish need a big tank?

Goldfish are not a good choice. A betta is. If the OP wants more than one fish int he tank, then he or she could get 3-4 female bettas, or one male betta and 3 small schooling fish that aren't inclined to be fin nippers (such as gold barbs, cherry barbs, Harlequin rasboras, or small tetras). But by far the easiest setup would be a single male betta. Feed the fish daily (just a small pinch of food), do a partial water change once a week (using a gravel vacuum), and change the filter pad monthly. That's all that's needed.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 AM

42,232 posts, read 61,035,753 times
Great posts! You guys are awesome!
I agree with the one pretty male betta fish in the tank.
So that's set

Now, what do you think about my aquarium choice?
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-LED-Aq.../dp/B0173I55JM
Unfortunately they don't come in 15 gal size, but for one single betta there should be enough place to swim.

Since we decided on the fish, I need to find suitable decoration. Read somewhere that plastic plants might damage bettas delicate body and fins, so I am thinking about silk plants and some pretty places to hide. Not that the fish would need to hide from any enemies, but I assume that's their nature. I also like the moss ... (Java or Marimo balls?)
Any other particular stuff to make the betta a happy fish? Air stone?

Oh... is this going to be useful?
https://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tr...AXJHZ4Q6FGN6E9

I have to hurry ordering all that (minus fish) to get it together when I go to see them for Easter. It will be an Easter gift for the little one

Thank you!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-13-2018 at 06:04 AM..

Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 AM

35,314 posts, read 44,085,488 times
Some points to ponder = https://ilovepets.co/tag/black-widow-tetra/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or