Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 AM

328 posts, read 475,310 times

Advertisements

does anybody has some advise on how to care of a Betta fish??

I got mine a few days ago, and seems kinda sad (I used to have one that once I put the food it would come and grab it) this doesnt seem to react. Its alive because its never on the same side of the cup, but any good advice is always welcome

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,305,492 times
Daniel, how big is your tank or whatever that you're keeping it in? I got a small 5 gallon tank that Julio, the red betta, is really happy in (all by himself, I know, a classic case of overkill!). I think they actually like more room than the vases and things that folks keep them in, and mine seems happier with a small pump going to aerate. A few plants, etc. Bear in mind that most bettas you buy at the store are "junk" fish and many are sickly when they come to you. They're just not the cream of the crop. I also have a small heater in mine.

I know this sounds dumb as rocks, but do you talk to your fish? Julio gets very animated when he's the center of attention...I keep him on my office desk - I work from home - and he's right in the thick of things. He was NOT happy when he was in the dining room since we were only in there short periods of time every day.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM

452 posts, read 1,727,023 times
We had a beautiful blue with red male betta two years ago and I gave it to our vet's office. I had too much going on to care for him properly. They still have him and he's in the same medium sized vase with all the rocks and stones I had in it...and he's doing great. We saw him today when we picked the dog up and he is absolutely gorgeous!!

Kristi, the secretary, changes most of the water as soon as there are lots of bubbles on top, because bettas need the minerals, etc that build up over time to be healthy. I lost my first one before I figured that out...kept him too clean. Kristi also said when "Merlin" wants to be noticed, he goes to the side of his vase where she sits at the desk when it's time to eat. If he's messed with too much, he turns bright red. They like to see themselves in mirrors too. Not a lot...just enough to get a little exercise. Every time I see him there, I'm amazed that he's still doing so well...but where better to live than in a vet's office??

HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM

thanks guys, yes i think I should invest in a better tank than a wal mart vase... I am a college student so I bought Sergio (as I called him) for the low maintenance they require. Thanks to both for the tips, when I get some money I will invest in better stuff than the plastic thing and the crappy betta food he has (I assume its crapy because he takes 2 days to eat 4 pellets)

also, what chemicals do you use (or used) for your fish? (like anti chlorine, etc)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,529,281 times
I'd only feed him as much food as he will eat at a time or it will pollute his water. Beta's are known for not being able to keep males together as they will kill each other. If you hold a mirror to the side and he sees himself his colors will brighten and fin stick out and gills flare in anger. This is actually a good thing to do every few days. They do love to interact and will sometimes come to the top of the water for you to touch them. What kind of food do you feed?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,987,901 times
I think I have the most spoiled Beta ever. He is in a 10 gallon tank, filled halfway. He's got a filter and a heater which is set between 75 and 80 degrees. He's got the requisite rocks and plasic plants and a fake piece of "cracked ancient pottery" to hide in. He usually gets regular old Beta food, but sometimes he gets bloodworms as a treat.

I used to see the Betas at the pet stores in those little cups and they always looked so sad! So I thought I'd do a little experiment and set up an aquarium with as close an approximation as I could to their natural habitat. It seems to be working well; at least he's happy as far as I can tell!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
wonderful post. i lost 6 so i was discouraged. i will try again with new info.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 AM

452 posts, read 1,727,023 times
They can be a treat to watch and, as Sam suggested...you gotta talk to 'em!! They watch for movement outside their own environment and will react to it.

You can find frozen bloodworms at a pet shop or they come freeze dried. We got our last betta at wallyworld and he's the one who is now doing very well at the vet's. The reason bettas sell so well, aside from their beauty, is that they do not require fancy trappings, but I'd not want to put one in a small area...that just seems cruel. We also put one in a populated aquarium but he tended to try to use the other fish for a snack. Putting one in an aquarium alone can't hurt.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Daniel, how big is your tank or whatever that you're keeping it in? I got a small 5 gallon tank
I got a 1.7 g... I think Serge may have better time with that ( I saw a 3 G one at Walmart and looked Huge)
Quote:
and mine seems happier with a small pump going to aerate. A few plants and rocks
(I got them too ).

Quote:
I know this sounds dumb as rocks, but do you talk to your fish?
(sometimes i do)

I hope that keeping Serge on my dorm should be fine.

Thanks for the tips tho

Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM

301 posts, read 1,549,447 times
We have kept them for years.I talk with ours.And the fish reacts!.It seams to love attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish