Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 08:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times

Advertisements

Years ago I bought a farm raised frog in a supermarket and it must have lived in my backyard all these years.
Now it is croaking like mad,day and night,what for?
is it looking for a mate?
I also have mocking birds every year,they only make noises during the day,but this frog.
How can I shut it off? ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 05:13 AM

61,678 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Shut off nature??

Old 07-14-2022, 09:10 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Shut off nature??

Funny thing is, you actually CAN "shut off nature" sometimes. Like when you throw a sheet over your bird's cage, they get tricked into thinking it's night and go to sleep. With reptiles and amphibians, you can sometimes achieve the same by turning off their light and/or heat source... I know with certain reptiles (e.g. colubrid snakes), you can also force them into brumation by lowering temps to under ~60F. So if OP is still reading, perhaps they could try something like that? I'm not too knowledgeable about frogs, though. Just snakes and lizards.

However, I'm not sure if the frog is in a tank, or roaming free in the yard; the wording of their post is a little confusing. Obviously can't do this if they're outside/free.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
The only reasons frogs and toads croak is because they're looking for mates during the mating season or else the temperature has changed or is about to change. They croak more at night than they do in the daytime. Expect your backyard frog to croak for many more years to come because most frogs and toads living in a safe environment have a life span up to 20 years, and some toads live 40 years.

Are you sure it's a frog and not a toad? If you have a pool or natural wild source of water in your backyard then your pet could be a frog (frogs can't live where there is no water source) and if you don't have a water source then your pet is probably a toad and it will eventually leave your yard to find a water source elsewhere for mating in.

You can't shut it off. If you can't tolerate the croaking all you can do is catch it and relocate it to a different place where there is a natural source of water and release it into the water. It will stand a much better chance of finding a mate and some company of its own kind there than it will if it's all alone in your backyard. Poor, lonely little thing.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:57 AM

I bought a farm raised FROG from a supermarket years ago and released it in my backyard,this year I heard croaking,so I assume it is this frog.
But there is no watersource,how does it survive?

Old 07-15-2022, 03:05 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I bought a farm raised FROG from a supermarket years ago and released it in my backyard,this year I heard croaking,so I assume it is this frog.
But there is no watersource,how does it survive?
You're assuming your supermarket frog is the one croaking. One you dumped in the yard years ago. I can't fathom why you think it survived for any length of time, let alone for years. Not only was it a non native species that wouldn't be adapted to the conditions it got dumped into, but it didn't even have access to standing water! It probably died a miserable death. Let's hope it was mercifully swift at least. As for what's croaking, unless your property is completely surrounded by high continuous walls, free ranging wild creatures are going to come and go. Consider toads or even tree frogs. They don't live in standing water and they call to attract mates too.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:15 PM

could be,behind me is a huge receiving pond and after rain,plenty of egrets looking for food.
I have seen turtes,snakes,fish,so it could be there!

Old 07-17-2022, 10:55 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,925,382 times
What part of the country/world are you in, and do you know if the frog was native to your region? If not, why did you release it? Just curious, as you totally glossed over those points in the last post.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:35 PM

I am in TX,once when I was shopping at an Asian supermarket in Chinatown,they have farm raised live frogs for sale,so I bought one and released it in my backyard.
Those frogs are meant to be food,not pets.
Pretty big size.
They also have live turtles.tilapia,dungenese crab,cat fish,carps,lobsters,blue shell crabs.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:39 PM

Sometimes I find a toad under my door mat,sometimes a small green frog managed to get into my house,once a large fat turtle outside my front door?
of course we have the regulars,gekkos,snakes,squirrels,rabbits.Back in 2008,there were a few dogs abandoned by their owners.
also jaybirds and pigeons building nests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish