Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,554 times

Advertisements

I went thru many hang off the side and then under the tank filters for small 35 gallon tank

Over the tank really did not keep the water too clear and the filters had to be changed often.

Went to the under tank filters, specifically Fuval. A pain to prime and the primer breaks easily. Went thru a few and was close to giving up on fish tanks but then......

I saw the Fuval Fx4 self priming filter and got one.

I had to fiddle with the length of the intake and outtake hose connections. I trimmed it a little each time until I got the right length where the water flowed without stopping/surging.

With the stopping/surge Fuval said the Fx4 was too big for the tank. As mentioned above, my trimming the hoses solved the problem in spite of what Fuval said

The water is absolutely clear, pump is very silent.

It is a big device to do the change of filters but the filters and media really do the job!

Water testing shows no issues with my water, which comes from our well, not city water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 01:29 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,879,440 times
IMHO, there's no such thing as a filter that's too big for a tank. (There are filters which may produce water currents that are too strong for certain types of fish, but that's a different issue).

Back when I still had my 55 gallon planted tank, I loved my Eheim Classic 2215 filter. Quiet, reliable, minimal moving parts, all parts were easily replaceable, and it kept the tank very clean. A 2217 would no doubt have been even better!

Old 07-27-2019, 11:13 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,408,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
IMHO, there's no such thing as a filter that's too big for a tank. (There are filters which may produce water currents that are too strong for certain types of fish, but that's a different issue).

Back when I still had my 55 gallon planted tank, I loved my Eheim Classic 2215 filter. Quiet, reliable, minimal moving parts, all parts were easily replaceable, and it kept the tank very clean. A 2217 would no doubt have been even better!
Agree

That is why I ignored the outside packaging and went with the Fx4 for my 30 gallon tank

No issues , extremely good well water, fish and fresh water snails thrive

No live plants in tank either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish