Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,925 times

Advertisements

We are fairly new at this so please have patience. We have a new 75 gallon aquarium with several tropical fish. It was a Christmas gift. Recently, we have noticed DARK green spots on the foliage (silk) and on some of the pebbles in the bottom. It does not look like algae as it is a kelly green.
Can anyone give us guidance on what this is and how to treat it. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by from PA; 04-30-2008 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
I think you're seeing blue algae, and it is a HEADACHE - it's actually a bacteria.

Blue Algae , cyanobacteria

It's from too many nitrates and/or phosphates in the water. You'll have to do some major adjustments and it is so hard to get rid of....I just threw out a bunch of plants because they were covered in it and changed out gravel.

One thing - if your aquarium is getting too much light it just grows by leaps and bounds. Make sure you aren't getting too much direct or indirect sunlight in there, and get a different type bulb for your aquarium. The fluorescent ones that come standard with a new aquarium are too bright - there's one that blocks UV rays or something. I don't understand all I know, but when I had a big aquarium I had a lot of success when I changed to a different light based on what the fish man at the aquarium store told me. I think a lot depends on what types of fish and plants you have. Also, overfeeding and a filtration system that isn't up to par will make this difficult to get rid of.

I'd seek out someone really knowledgable, more so than the Petsmart people. And good luck - it makes your aquarium STINK on top of everything else.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,905 times
Sounds like an algae spore. We only leave the aquarium lights on about 8 hours a day, and not near a place where it can get too much sunlight. Is it near a heat vent or is your temperature of the water too high?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info. we are going to try the Corydora sterbai first. Hope that solves our problem. Our tank is not currently in direct sunlight and we have a fillter with a special light that keeps the tank clear.
There does not appear to be any smell associated with this condition. Just hope this remedies our problem. Our fish appear to be otherwise healthy.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
I used to have tropical fish in a 30 gallon tank. First of all, I changed the water by 1/3 of fresh water that had sat for 24 hours about once every month, I also did a total tank clean once or twice a year as needed; remove fish to a holding tank, remove gravel and boil it. remove plants and wash in hot soapy water if they are fake. I preferred live plants. Scrub the entire inside of the tank with soapy water and rinse well. Fill the tank with fresh water , the cleaned gravel and plants and turn on for 24 hours before returning the fish. Also get a few good aquarium snails to help keep down the algae.

All this aquarium talk makes me want to have one again.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Our tank is 75 gallons so it won't be easy but if it works we'll give it a try.
It has been set up now for 4 months. Also, My dh says snails multiply like crazy.He had them years ago and said they were out of control. We were going to try the corydora sterbai . Will any bottom feeders do the same thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish