U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 11,901 times

Advertisements

Hello hoping for some answers here.

Late last week I got a 40 gallon tank from the pet store. Was told to set it up, go back in a week with a sample of water for them to test, and then I can buy the fish. Is that normally how it's done?

Now, what area in the house is the best place for the fishtank? I put it in the kitchen, 5 feet away from the oven.

Which fish are more comfortable with people and noise? Which type of fish are less maintenance? How many fish are best to start with? Is it best to get all one gender?

Its just me, my husband and 2 young children.

We have 2 cats so we aren't new to owning pets.

Hopefully some here can help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
I'm no expert but have had many fish in various aquariums over the years. Currently I have 10 goldfish (about 6-7") in our pond outside, and 7 Neon Tetras in the aquarium.

My comments:

What they suggested is good advice, to make sure there isn't too much chlorine or other chemicals in the water.

Place it where it gets no sun though a window, that will cause more algae. I would put it where you can see it easily, kitchen is OK of not near the stove.

I would start with fish that are cheap, since as a newbie you may lose some. Goldfish require no heater, and live a long time but they produce a lot of waste and the water needs changing more often than small tropicals. Glofish (Tetra, Barbs and others) are very popular now, but due to the genetic modification and inbreeding they tend to have problems.

You need to ask about compatibility, some fish get along better than others. You could do a mix of different tetras or barbs, but not both, the barbs will nip at the tetra fins.

In most cases the pet store person will not know the gender.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 375,591 times
5 ft away from the oven may not be enough if you are roasting a Turkey

Old 12-13-2020, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 2,794 times
Ditto on the cheap fish. Expect losses as you grow in knowledge.

I wouldn't have the tank in the kitchen. Aside from heat variations from appliances, grease travels as well as toxins. If you have an idea to set it on a counter, water weighs 8lbs/gal. Throw in the weight of gravel as well.

Keep in mind that pet stores are in the business of selling pets and supplies. The more, the better. You probably won't hear bad stuff from them. If you are seriously-serious about keeping fish, see if there is an actual fish store close to you. They want to sell fish as well, but will probably be more knowledgeable.

Educate yourself about water. I was a fish nut as a kid, took up the hobby again in middle age, and had a "WTF?" reaction to how hard it seemed to be to keep fish alive. What I didn't realize is that city/town water has changed from decades ago. Once, all you had to do was plop tablets/drops in the water to get rid of chlorine, stir it around, add fish. Now, ammonia is added to water, creating chloramines, which is harder to get rid of. It's actually not that good for people, either, but deadly to fish. I ended up buying a Berkey. Clean water for us, water that I don't have to manipulate chemically to make it safe for fish. I take water straight from the Berkey, put it in the tank, make sure the temperature is correct, throw in fish and we all lively happily in a chemical-free environment.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:37 PM

36,560 posts, read 47,169,410 times
As to "buying the fish":

The urge is going to be to buy a whole bunch. Don't. If you do you'll end up losing most if not all of them.

Start small, maybe 3 or 4 Cory cats or a handful of the previously mentioned tetras (although some of them can be finicky). The reason you do this is to set up the nitrogen cycle in the tank.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/nitrog...anding-1380724

This one pushes a couple products but overall is easily understood and informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnnuy-f_r6E

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-ba...fish-aquarium/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish