U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 06:23 PM

5,905 posts, read 6,883,053 times

Advertisements

So I am a freshwater aquarist for almost 50 years now. Admittedly, a lot of the knowledge I have of the technical aspects of the hobby harken back to the 80s and 90s so I may be a bit behind the times, even though I've been keeping fish pretty much continuously since I was a kid.

I have a 120 gal freshwater aquarium setup that I've kept running successfully for close to 20 years (not with the same fish of course). For the first time in I don't know how long, I find myself having to battle an ich outbreak. So far it has only infected my beloved clown loaches (no surprise there, they are very susceptible). I've been following a regimen of water changes and medication for 3 days now and hopefully I've slowed things down enough that there has been no spread so far, and today the loaches started feeding again so I'm hopeful.

This brings me to my question. I have a tried-and-true Diatom XL filter that I have not used in years. I'd like to use to try and help filter out the ich parasites (yes, it can do that). But Vortex Innerspace, the manufacturer of Diatom filters, went out of business last year. As a result, parts have pretty much sold out everywhere. My problem may be the bag inside the filter. I haven't taken it out yet, but after sitting unused for a long time it is likely dried out and will fall apart.

Since parts are not available any more, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with any modern DE filters or similar alternatives on the market?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 11:32 AM

33 posts, read 6,069 times
Try what is called an algae scrubber (not a scraper). They grow algae in the filter on purpose, which filters the water naturally, and there is one brand made just for freshwater.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:33 PM

18,770 posts, read 26,918,380 times
I don't know about diatom filters. But, I run a UV filter in my tank 24/7. It will help kill bacteria, etc., as well as algae.

I used to have a discus who was really prone to ich. Adding aquarium salt (the medicinal type, not for marine tanks) really helped control the ich. The ich medicines work well, but it's a pain having to remove the filter, etc.

Is it a planted tank? I don't think adding salt is a good idea if the tank is planted - would have to check on that.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

33 posts, read 6,069 times
If ick is still present, a UV will work great, and you can take it out when done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish