Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM

65 posts, read 211,454 times

Advertisements

We have a 20 gallon fish tank . We are moving in a few weeks. We would just give the fish to someone else we only at this point have 3-4 but the last time we bought fish at Walmart we got snails. There are so little when they start that someone told me this happened to them. So I don't want to give the fish away and I don't know how to transport them for a 13 hour move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 AM

630 posts, read 1,295,681 times
wow this reminds me of how i transported my dear fish TIGER. he was a feeder fish i kept and he ended up lasting 6 long years. he was my baby. When i just started highschool our family made a move from littleton colorado to the bay area, california and i got a cheapo plastic goldfish bowl and a battery powered air pump and along the 3 day move across the mountains and deserts he made it. then we got set up in a temporary home and i put him in a 20 gallon and then moved him a gain sloshing around in the 20 gallon 1/8 full to our first house and after a year there we moved again to the first house we owned and he died in my junior year of highschool of ich.

sorry about the rant, to me he wasn't just a fish ,he was my companion through all the moving around at that time in my life . He started out as a science experement of how the heart rate of a fish will rise as it is plunged into hot water then cold water. At that age i had no idea that that was harmfull to a fish. Finally I figured out after doing this to him once that he didn't look so hot and i developed a heart for him and scooped him out with my hand in attempt to rescue him from the cold ice water, he fell on the carpetted floor and i freaked out trying to pick him up without hurting him ( he was slippery) and placed him into a bowl of water for then. I got on my computer and found out what i need to get for him to live a healthy long life and before you know it i was buying a fish tank, fish food, filter and bubbler for him. I also ended up failing my science project because i thought the experement was cruel.

sorry for the rant again but if you get a bubbler and a small bowl and keep the water fresh and juggle it in your hand you should be fine. It wont be relaxing but at least you can keep the little guys.

good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:09 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,639,375 times
Temperature and oxygen exchange are the main things to be concerned about. The battery operated air pump is a good idea, though a bucket with a lid would probably be better than a goldfish bowl. If you take the fish into a decent pet store, then most will bag them for you and add oxygen to the bag.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 AM

sorry that i didn't clarify. i had a plastic fish bowl and it wasn't that big. i had a feeder fish and he was as tough as nails

Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,443 times
get some oxygen Tablets and a large bag would probably be best bet and if could use a styrofoam cooler just big enough so temp stays about same when traveling.
Good luck with your move.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
get some oxygen Tablets and a large bag would probably be best bet and if could use a styrofoam cooler just big enough so temp stays about same when traveling.
Good luck with your move.
thats a really good idea. the cooler. Not meant to highjack but there is such a thing as O2 tablets? thats really cool

Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,223,994 times
The important thing to remeber is to take the tank water with you. When you get to your destination, set up with the old tank water and do 20% water changes weekly to get the fish acclimated to the new water.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,443 times
Yes there is O2 tabs just google will find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish