Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2008, 07:55 AM
 
517 posts, read 1,963,739 times
Reputation: 581

Advertisements

First, let me say "please never give goldfish out as birthday party favors!" This is what happened to us - we received 2 last week and weren't ready to have pets! In any case, we are new to the "fish world" and need some help. They're currently in a bowl which keeps getting so dirty that we have to take the fish out and clean it every other day. Is it easier and better to have a tank for them? How big? What kind? Also, someone at the pet store told us to use our bottled water (Poland Spring) to keep them in (which is getting rather expensive with every-other-day water changes). Another pet store employee has not instructed us to use distilled water. What kind of water should we really be using? I'm getting confliciting info about how many times to feed (someone said every other day and others have said twice a day) Please help! I'm looking for the easiest way to care for them the best way we can (remembering we really weren't planning on having fish at this time!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Reputation: 4088
First, this should be reported to the ASPCA. It's just cruel.

You can also leave water out for at least 24 hours in a wide-mouthed container (like a bucket) prior to using it, or get commercial dechlorinator.

Bowls are NOT good for fish. Yes, they're classic but they are death traps for fish. They don't have big open tops: fish need to be in an aquarium, not a bowl. It doesn't doesn't have to be big or expensive, but you do need an aquarium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 AM
 
517 posts, read 1,963,739 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You can also leave water out for at least 24 hours in a wide-mouthed container (like a bucket) prior to using it, or get commercial dechlorinator.
Tap water???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Reputation: 4088
Yes, as far as I know. When I had fish, that's what I did. YOu need to give it at least 24h for the chlorine to evaporate....check with some fish websites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Reputation: 10257
Thats acheep gift for the giver But expensive for you...Did they at least tell you how to care for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 01:57 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,963,739 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Thats acheep gift for the giver But expensive for you...Did they at least tell you how to care for them?
You're right! They meant well... and if they weren't such good friends I'd be really really frustrated (instead of just moderately!!) No, they didn't tell us how to care for them (or give us food.... they didn't think of that!) but we're figuring it out (at least trying).

I know of someone else who recently received a fish from a party. I think people think of goldfish as an easy-to-care-for-pet-that-won't-live-too-long.... but I'm finding out it couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't mind too much because the kids have been asking for a pet for a while but I feel badly for the fish keeping them in that bowl. Got to get that tank.

However, please spread the word..... no more goldfish party favors!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
 
5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Reputation: 3577
That is just terrible, but all too common. People just don't realize the care that goldfish need. Oh gosh, where to begin....Actually, even aquariums will quickly grow too small for a goldfish, if you have a common feeder goldfish, or a Comet goldfish, they grow to 12" long, and rather quickly. But for now, you need to get some de-chlorinator for the water, and you can buy a bottle at a pet store or Wal-Mart. Just add the liquid to the freshwater, and it will make tap water safe for the fish right then, you don't need to wait 24 hours. The directions will be on the bottle. It's also very bad to dump out all the water at once to clean the bowl, because that starts the "cycling" process of the water all over again. You should do partial water changes regularly. Really though, the fish aren't likely to last long in a bowl. For one thing, they need aeration in the water. And they are very messy, so need a filter/pump. You could keep them in an aquarium with a filter and pump for a year or two, and do weekly partial water changes. You should feed them once per day, and no more than what they will eat in a few minutes. After that, you would either have to invest in a huge aquarium, dig a pond (lol), or give them away, perhaps on Craigslist.

I remember my kid's school giving out goldfish as prizes at their annual carnival, we ended up with a goldfish that way. Eventually I released into a friend's pond, it grew huge within a year. We had it in a five gallon aquarium, and he was overcrowded almost immediately.

Now I actually have my own pond with goldfish. Good luck!

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 07-27-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
 
630 posts, read 1,294,229 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
You're right! They meant well... and if they weren't such good friends I'd be really really frustrated (instead of just moderately!!) No, they didn't tell us how to care for them (or give us food.... they didn't think of that!) but we're figuring it out (at least trying).

I know of someone else who recently received a fish from a party. I think people think of goldfish as an easy-to-care-for-pet-that-won't-live-too-long.... but I'm finding out it couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't mind too much because the kids have been asking for a pet for a while but I feel badly for the fish keeping them in that bowl. Got to get that tank.

However, please spread the word..... no more goldfish party favors!!!!!

if you can't care for them than give them to a pet store who can take car of them and find them a suitible owner. sorry that happened to you. its cool that you are doing as much as you can to make the little guys comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 AM
 
517 posts, read 1,963,739 times
Reputation: 581
Well, we now own a 28 gallon fishtank! We filled it with tap water, put the water treatment "stuff" in to get rid of the chlorine and have had the filter running since Sunday evening. How long before we can introduce the fish to their new tank? Also, how high does the water need to be in the tank? To the top? An inch from the top? Less? More?

Finally, what's the best way to introduce the fish to their new home? Put them in a bag with their old water and float them on top a few minutes? Scoop them in a net and place them directly in their new water?

Oh, and one more thing, when you add water to the tank do you use cold water? Thanks you, fish experts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
Well, we now own a 28 gallon fishtank! We filled it with tap water, put the water treatment "stuff" in to get rid of the chlorine and have had the filter running since Sunday evening. How long before we can introduce the fish to their new tank? Also, how high does the water need to be in the tank? To the top? An inch from the top? Less? More?

Finally, what's the best way to introduce the fish to their new home? Put them in a bag with their old water and float them on top a few minutes? Scoop them in a net and place them directly in their new water?

Oh, and one more thing, when you add water to the tank do you use cold water? Thanks you, fish experts!
An inch from the top should be fine. The kind of filter you have will determine where the water level must be for optimum performance.

When you add water, it should be close to the same temperature as the water in your tank. Too cold or hot and your fish will get thermal shock.

It's always best to put fish in water that is similar to what they've been used to. You could dip out a little water from their current bowl and introduce some water from the tank. Add a bit more gradually over a day or so until the bowl is almost all "new" water, then you can add the fish to the tank as long as the bowl and tank water is about the same temperature. If the temps are different, float the fish in a bag in the water for an hour or so until the temps can equalize.

Goldfish are pretty hardy and will tolerate conditions that tropical fish won't so whatever you do you should be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top