Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times

Advertisements

I have two cichlid fish and they laid eggs. Now I have about 30+ fish in the tank in addition to the two I originally had. My question is, how do I clean the tank with all the little ones in there? There seems to be a slight oder coming from the tank and I wanted to clean it to get rid of it. Is there any products I can get from the pet store that can eliminate oders?

Also, I have a few people who want a couple of the fish, but I'm not sure how old they have to be before I give them up. The eggs hatched about 3-4 months ago and they are still little tadpoles. Should I wait another 3 months or so? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 AM

95 posts, read 504,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post
I have two cichlid fish and they laid eggs. Now I have about 30+ fish in the tank in addition to the two I originally had. My question is, how do I clean the tank with all the little ones in there? There seems to be a slight oder coming from the tank and I wanted to clean it to get rid of it. Is there any products I can get from the pet store that can eliminate oders?

Also, I have a few people who want a couple of the fish, but I'm not sure how old they have to be before I give them up. The eggs hatched about 3-4 months ago and they are still little tadpoles. Should I wait another 3 months or so? Thanks for your help.
You can rinse and squeeze your filter sponge every two weeks or when necessary in aquarium water, (in a seperate bowl or bucket). Make sure you don't use tap water. And just top off the evaporation with fresh water. I wouldn't use any harsh products in the aquarium because the fry are still delicate. Usually, you can start giving away your fish when they are about an inch long and you are sending them to people with a cycled tank. Since you have paired fish, it would probably be a good idea to invest into a tank just for the mother and fry. Your tank now is surely overcrowded!
Lots of luck to you and your baby fishies!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times
Thank you! Yes the tank is very overcrowded. I will use the tips you gave me thanks and I will invest in another tank as soon as possible.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:55 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
How big is the tank? What kind of ciclids are they, Tanganyika or Malawi's? If you have another tank move the babies into their own tank but take some of the water out of the tank they are in now. We have ciclids and when they have babies we usually separate them from the adults so they don't get eaten. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,216 times
I have an aquarium with 4 mixed fruit tetra's. One of them (I think) laid eggs inside the castle that is in the aquarium. How do I go about cleaning the tank if there is freshly laid eggs? I don't know for certain that there are any eggs, but one of the tetra's was hiding out in there for a few days and would barely polk her head out to eat. (FYI - the castle is about 8 inches high and on both sides of it, there is a hollow area that goes all the way up. This is where she was for days she was hiding out.) She is acting normal again. swimming around with the other fish, however, she goes back in the castle a lot, but doesn't stay in there for long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 PM

356 posts, read 1,268,593 times
My cichlids are always having babies.. i just vaccum as usual with my python and its fine.. the babies run and hide.

with cichlids there needs to be a lot of hiding places. i have had no issues with babies and adults.. they all grow up and maybe some babies get eaten, im not sure, its the circle of life.

but you need to keep the tank clean, same as always...scrape the glass, vaccum the gravel, add new water with prime once a month or every other week

Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
You could use a breeder net that hangs over the side, put all the little fry in there, and then clean the tank. If you have livebearers, you should have one of those nets for their safety until they are older.

Edit: Dang it, I didn't realize this was a 6 year old post....sigh. Oh well, for anyone who sees this in the future...use a breeder net.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM

9 posts, read 29,348 times
use a net!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish