Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM

18 posts, read 26,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Some species of mollies can tolerate a modicum of salt water. If you put them in anything resembling sea water, they will die.

100% of the guppies and platies will die at a low salt concentration.

What is your hypothesis? What is the control? It seems that you may be killing research subjects for information that is already established.

This could be an interesting experiment, but I think that the conclusion is foregone.

If you were doing this with bacteria or some organism with very short generations, this would be a really interesting experiment in selection. However, unless you plan on doing this over the course of a few years I doubt very much you will get any meaningful data other than freshwater fish die in saltwater.
Moderator cut: rude
Mollies are brackish-water fish, but they adapt fully to either purely marine, or purely fresh, water conditions, as do platies and guppies.

In fact, I have a ruby swordtail and marbled molly in my marine tank, which I keep at 1.027ppm for my corals, and they're doing quite well.

What's more, MOST "freshwater" fish are actually native to water at least somewhat brackish, and will be healthier in moderately brackish water, perhaps 1.005ppm. This includes tetras, catfish/chorys, cichlids, barbs and other barbels like goldfish/koi.

One obvious exception is gourami, which are extremely sensitive to salt.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-07-2009 at 05:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Interesting thread, I wish I had seen it sooner!

Mollies can thrive in full salt water. In fact, it used to be a common practice to use them to "break in" a saltwater tank before adding expensive saltwater fish.

Years ago I read an article about acclimitizing saltwater fish, mostly damsels and clownfish, to pure fresh water. They could live fine, but would not breed.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Suggestion: I'd use a molly, guppy, and a swordtail. I've seen all of them in full saltwater. Platies are from further up the mountain stream, a little cooler and a little fresher. I'm not sure how Platies would survive.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Interesting thread, I wish I had seen it sooner!

Mollies can thrive in full salt water. In fact, it used to be a common practice to use them to "break in" a saltwater tank before adding expensive saltwater fish.

Years ago I read an article about acclimitizing saltwater fish, mostly damsels and clownfish, to pure fresh water. They could live fine, but would not breed.
wish I had seen it too.

But yeah all three of those species are brackish water species, with the mollies being able to handle the most salt.

The salt is actually good for them and helps them recover from illnesses and bruises quicker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish