Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 36,479 times

Advertisements

In short this is my science slfair project. I'm using a mollie, guppy
, and platy. My question is if anyone else has den this and the wurvviwl rate of the fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer_goalie16 View Post
, and platy. My question is if anyone else has den this and the wurvviwl (survival) rate of the fish?
The link below states that it should be possible to acclimatize a saltwater fish to freshwater, but concludes that might be difficult to acclimate fresh water fish to salt water. The fresh water fish may just not have the biological equipment to excrete the excess salt it would ingest and might therefore dehydrate."

http://www.madsci.org/.../916188046.Gb.r.html (broken link)

Here's also a comment I found where someone did acclimate a molly to saltwater:

"The only tropical fish tank species I know of that can be changed to saltwater is a mollie. Whether acclimating or not, I use mollies to establish and stabilize my saltwater tanks. Straight from fresh to salt tank, they do very well. I set up tanks as a side job and have had very good luck doing this. If later you wanted to add more to an established salt tank, be it mollies or saltwater fish, you can. If you are worried about getting rid of the mollies later try a fish that eats other fish. If an anemone or lionfish can fit a mollie in its mouth it will eat it.
I'm not saying that I am an expert. What I am saying is that this process is possible, and have stated the species of fish it works with."

Here's another where a person acclimated a puffer to saltwater:

"I have successfully acclimated a green (Leopard?) Puffer and a Figure Eight Puffer from my freshwater tank to my saltwater tank and have been very happy. The process was over a 7 day period using the drip method of gradually using water from my saltwater tank each day. I started with 5 gallons of water from my fw tank and changed out approximately one gallon per day until the specific gravity from the adjustment tank and the sw tank were equal. The puffers continued to eat, though at a lesser degree, through the entire process. The Puffers were introduced to the sw tank and have lived there for 6 months with no difficulties. My sw tank has live rock and anemonies (sp?) that the puffers have left alone which is quite surprising. Their colors have become much more alive and the fish seem quite happy and readily eat the same live food as the other sw fish. I have searched for a method of doing the same process with Clown Loaches but haven't found any so I suspect that isn't possible but may just subject a couple to the test. From what I've read, they live in similar water conditions that the puffers were reported to live in but of course, I may be incorrect."

Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:08 PM

95 posts, read 504,633 times
I had no idea you could do that, interesting. I add aquarium salt to my freshwater tanks but it's not quite the same thing.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times
When I was a kid in Florida, I had a brackish (salt from the ocean mixed with fresh river water) water mudflat behind the house. There were sailfin mollies and mudminnows. I did an experiment (I was supposed to be a marine biologist when I grew up...LOL!) regarding acclimating the brackish water minnows into a fresher water. I succeeded. The water had traces of salt, as I didn't push my luck too far. The fishes seemed happy enough, color and feeding was good. It's a great experiment!
Keep in mind that several speices of fishes go between salt and fresh as part of their life cycles: salmon, sturgeon and many others. Bull sharks and tarpon have been known to work their way upriver into fresh water. It's all very interesting!
Be sure to keep us updated!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
I had guppies that lived a few days in my salt tank. I do not know if they would have lived much longer as my eel loved them so.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I'd say pick a new project. They will likely die. Why kill the fish for a project?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 AM

563 posts, read 1,449,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I'd say pick a new project. They will likely die. Why kill the fish for a project?
I disagree. I successfully did this very experimant and the fishes lived long and happy lives. The point here is not to kill the animals, just change their habitat. Many speices can handle the change very well.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I had guppies that lived a few days in my salt tank. I do not know if they would have lived much longer as my eel loved them so.
My eel freshwater ate mine too!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I also pulled many brackish water fish from a canal behind my house and they did just fine in my freshwater tank. I even had baby flounders thrive in the fresh water.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer_goalie16 View Post
, and platy. My question is if anyone else has den this and the wurvviwl rate of the fish?
Some species of mollies can tolerate a modicum of salt water. If you put them in anything resembling sea water, they will die.

100% of the guppies and platies will die at a low salt concentration.

What is your hypothesis? What is the control? It seems that you may be killing research subjects for information that is already established.

This could be an interesting experiment, but I think that the conclusion is foregone.

If you were doing this with bacteria or some organism with very short generations, this would be a really interesting experiment in selection. However, unless you plan on doing this over the course of a few years I doubt very much you will get any meaningful data other than freshwater fish die in saltwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish