Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,801,962 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a Beta? Mine all of a sudden stopped eating and he just stares at me as if he trying to say something. I'm afraid that if he doesn't eat soon he will die. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,101,330 times
http://ezinearticles.com/?Ten-Tips-for-Caring-for-Your-Betta-Fish&id=54839 (broken link)

These free betta tips look helpful. They do need their water to be clean, and apparently they prefer brine shrimp to regular fish food.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,255,837 times
A woman in my office said that she was told to put a green pea in the bowl for the fish to eat. She tried it and it worked.

I've had two and each time they jumped out of the bowl and died- one after more than a year.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM

489 posts, read 2,018,301 times
I think you should probably give him some kind of preventive treatment. These fish can be difficult to get healthy once they get sick and go down pretty quickly once they are, if you don't get a handle on them right away. I had one and know more about them than I care to. All the medications I purchased to save the little guy and the treatments I did were incredible. I should be working at a tropical fish store now.

How is his color (is he pale, color not so bright)? How does his tail and fins look? Are they fully there or looking ragged? Does he have any white, gold, or black spots on him?

Are you treating his water? Is it at least room temperature? Go to your local aquarium/fish store and look for a liquid product (name escapes me right now, and I've spent the last 30 minutes online looking for it and still haven't found it) comes in a bright blue bottle and its main ingredient is malaleuca. My fish responded wonderfully to it (I also first found it at Walmart). Or if you cannot find that, get some QuickCure, and do it right away. Also BettaMax is a great thing to have on hand for your Betta as well. Be sure to follow all instructions very carefully as mixing is sometimes required, and if not done correctly, you can harm or kill your fish. Also if you have rocks (that are not glass) on the bottom of the tank or a plastic plant in there, you might want to to remove them - or at the very least the rocks - because the rocks are bacteria traps and the plastic plants can harm his fins and tail. All items in his tank should be regularly cleaned as well. Good luck!

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-09-2007 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Thanks so much to everyone.

The water is clean, in fact that's when he stopped eating right after we cleaned the bowl. There is only glass inside, no other rocks or anything. I gave him flakes & the pellets but he puts a pellet in his mouth and then spits it out. He just puts his nose up in the air at the flakes. I'll have to try the brine shrimp, I read that also. His color & fins look fine but the funny thing is he looks mad at me.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:33 AM

892 posts, read 2,374,760 times
I used to feed mine freezed dried blood worms.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,785,666 times
I had bought both my girls their own Beta about 10 yrs. ago. One died within days and the other lived 8 years!! During that 8 years I fish-sat for my Aunt, she had a Beta for about 2 yrs and was going away - she let me keep it and that one died after me having it for 5 years.
I had 2 episodes where I thought I was going to loose one of them and they both pulled through. When the last one died I was kinda sad..kept him right by the kitchen sink, where I seem to soend so much time and I honesly thought when they saw me they would 'beg' for food.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,796,944 times
Oh my beloved Feeshy...

Yes - try a pea...Believe it or not, he might be constipated!
Heat a frozen pea for a few seconds in the microwave so it's semi cooked.
But Google betta forums - there are many! You'll get lots of answers there! & they'll know exactly how to do the pea thing...
How long have you had him?
I assume you know to use dechlorinator when you change the water?!
Also, they need warm temps - do you have a thermometer on there?
They do get sick easily - I used to post on a Betta forum & we were all always dealing with something...
But some live for years!
How big a home does he have?
I had that little vase thing at first, but then got him a gallon bowl.
Seems like one of those Eclipse 5 gallons with filter etc would be best.
I hope the little guy's ok!
Let us know...

Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 AM

Thanks, he's ok. I was using spring water with no chlorine but switched to tap water and dropped a tablet to get rid of the chlorine. I bought the dried worms (yuck) and he seems to like them. One other thing.....his water became cloudy really quickly, what does that mean?

Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,796,944 times
Glad to hear he's ok!! Hmmm - cloudy water in a tank is usually algae bloom - but I don't know about a betta bowl - though you didn't actually say what size apt. he has... Please google betta fish & you will get ALL the answers & then some!
Health Happiness Energy & Love to all creatures!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish