Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:48 PM

267 posts, read 1,175,767 times

Advertisements

First off, this is my first fish ever. Just got a Betta at the store today, and the lady there suggested one that had a red body and white fins. She said it was unique since most are solid colors, I was a bit skeptical, but she seemed trustworthy, so I chose it. But now I surf the net and don't seem to find a type that describes my Betta, and I wonder if my fish is unwell and so is losing color somehow? If that's the case, I'd rather take it back before I transfer it to the fish bowl. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
I once had a blue betta with white fins and I was told it was a bicolor betta. I just did a search and found some photos here: Types of Bettas, by colour, tailss, patterns and genetics.. There is a photo that looks very much like my guy (who lived to the age of 31/2!)
If your fish is eating, doesn't seem sick and if the white isn't spotty or fuzzy he's probably fine. Just watch him to see if the white coloring increases size.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:27 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
I have seen Betta's of many colors and bi-colors, which are less usual. I totally agree with the above poster, if he acts healthy, eats well, and doesn't continue to "change color", I suspect he is fine!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Thank you both. I will keep an eye on him. Leorah, that link was useful, though I didn't see my Betta there either. He is now in his new tank/jar, and seems to enjoy the space. But I am having trouble keeping the water warm. It's at 72F and though I have added warmer treated water twice, it dips back rather quickly. Perhaps I should buy a heated aquarium. Esp now that the lil guy has a name and I am attached to him. I actually think he can recognize us by now, but maybe it's in my head.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
My house in the winter is seldom over 68 degrees. I have not had heaters in my betta tank but the fish do fine. I kept the tank on a table above the baseboard radiant heat unit in the winter.

I think the worst thing you can do is to keep adding warm water. That creates temperature fluctuations which are stressful to fish and can cause illness. A constant temperature is much better. If your tank is large enough you can certainly get a heater, but if it's less than five gallons a heater may get the water too hot and that won't be good for the fish either.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks Leorah. That was really helpful to know. I was about to purchase a heater, and didn't realize about it getting the water too hot. Most small ones are rated for 2 gal. Not less. Good point. Maybe I should just get a bigger tank with a heater then. Last 2 nights have been close to unseasonal record lows, and the water dropped to 65F sun night. Yesterday, I wrapped 3 scarves around the jar, and it dropped to 71 from 74. I'll be careful abt adding water from now on, though I've been doing a tbsp at a time and mixing it in. Time consuming too!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Here's a pic. His name is Pepper.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Oh he's handsome! My betta lives in a 10 gallon tank that I keep half filled. He has a heater, a filter and lots of plastic plants. He's a bit spoiled. It started out as an experiment; I wanted to try keeping a betta in as close to his native conditions as I could. It's fun for me and he seems to be doing well, though I'm sure many bettas do just as well without all the bells and whistles.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i am a former beta killer (6). despite pleading with the pet stores to educate me.
finally got it figured out. you only use a few drops of declorinate. use a 10 gallon tank a filter and heater only feed once a day change the water bout every 6 months. otherwise leave him alone. im going on 3 years with mine. beta killer no more.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
I have 2 bettas (males) in seperate containers, one of which sits direrctly on the floor.....I have never checked the "temp" of the water. our house is about 70 degrees in the winter & 75 degrees in the summer. The red fish is over 2 yrs old & the blue fish survived his first winter (on the floor)...the blue fish is my grandsons, thus 'on the floor" for easier viewing..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish