Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,626,642 times

Advertisements

At what age is a person too old to be fishing for these things to put in the aquarium, terrarium or pond at home? My fascination started when I could barely walk and now that I am rapidly approaching 60, am still fascinated by them. Please tell me I am not the only one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,921,799 times
Well, no matter how old I get I'm still fascinated by the egg-tadpole-frog/toad thing. No matter how often I see a tadpole turn into a frog (and I've seen hundreds and hundreds) when that first little foot pops out of the tadpole it's so amazing! I'm really fond of bullfrog tadpoles, but almost any will do.

Around here we have periwinkles and fiddler crabs. They are quite interesting as well!

So, you aren't alone....

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,242,464 times
I've always had a fascination too! As a kid, I loved nothing more than catching tadpoles and keeping them until they turned into toads. As kids, we took a family trip to Florida and brought back two speckled minnows to Michigan. Sharky and Blacky lived a long time in our little 10 gal. aquarium. We finally moved to Florida and my brother was forever putting things from the lake we lived on into my aquarium. He once put a crayfish in that climbed out. He put a small baby bass in that ate my swordtail. All you could see of the swordtail was his tail sticking out of mouth of the bass.

I'm much older now and still in Florida living in the north on another lake and still fascinated watching all of the tadpoles turn to toads. I also love the lizards and treefrogs.

This is my petstore crayfish, Sapphira who brings back memories of my younger days when my brother would catch them.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,620,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
At what age is a person too old to be fishing for these things to put in the aquarium, terrarium or pond at home? My fascination started when I could barely walk and now that I am rapidly approaching 60, am still fascinated by them. Please tell me I am not the only one...
I'm 52 and just took my girlfriend crayfish hunting the other day. I actually was nicknamed crawdaddy as a teen because I kept a lrg pair of them for pets. We now have frogs, toads, snakes,fish, birds,dogs, lizards,torts,cat and horses. Some people never outgrow it!
Found this one today, released her after the pic.
Never grow old in your mind!!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z284/blumongoose/bellyshot.jpg (broken link)

This is my lil' boy. A Whites Dumpy
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z284/blumongoose/swenson.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,626,642 times
How can anyone look at that face and those fingers and not think *How cute!* ?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,303,237 times
I always loved going to the canals as a kid and putting bacon in the water (tied to a string) and catching crayfish (or crawdads is what we called them). It was so fun to watch them pinch on the the bacon and pull them to shore! We always let them go though, although I have heard they are tasty However, I have never had any as a pet.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,620,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
How can anyone look at that face and those fingers and not think *How cute!* ?
Very cute! We lost him recently. He lived to the very ripe old age of 5+ yrs. We had him for almost 5 yrs when this pic was taken. He would serenade us on many nights.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
I caught 4 tadpoles and a bunch of shelled snails and put in an aquarium after I declorinize the water should they survive? As long as I keep lettuce and stuff in there.. Or what else do I need to do

Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,938,898 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fish/...-crayfish.html

FAQs: raising tadpoles in captivity

Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,801,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkAnsAs bOy 91 View Post
I caught 4 tadpoles and a bunch of shelled snails and put in an aquarium after I declorinize the water should they survive? As long as I keep lettuce and stuff in there.. Or what else do I need to do
They'll be MUCH happier and healthier with a decent water filer and an air stone. Plus the tads will need something to climb out on once their legs start topop out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish