Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,291,705 times

Advertisements

I've had my plec for 5 years now. He's about 6-7 inches long. He's in a 35g with 2 angelfish (one small, one medium). I have another tank cycling right now to give them all more space. The tank the three of them are in now has crashed since our move. Ammonia is around 0.5-1ppm. 0 nitrites unfortunately. pH is 7. All of these fish have lived through cycling and various issues. Every time I move I have a problem with my tanks.

Any way, my plec is now laying on his side. Sometimes he's upside down (not attached to anything). His color looks good to me (vibrant). I'm not seeing ich. I think his eyes are ok but I've been having a hard time getting a good look. His fins are not clamped. The top fin is fully spanned out. Right now I have the lights out to make him more comfy.

So, not only are my levels up, but I forgot to turn the heater back up when I did my last water change (yesterday or the day b4). I checked the tank tonight and the water was cold (maybe late 60's).

I did a water change and turned the heater back up to 72 F. Do you think it's the cold that has done this to him? I hope I haven't sealed his fate. I thought maybe he hasn't been getting enough to eat. All he gets, besides algae in the tank, are tablets. He does eat flake food. I just put in some zuccini for him. I should get blood worm.

One of my angels looks a little buggy. The larger one is fine. Argggh. I'm so mad at myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,476,777 times
Don't be mad at yourself. Fish stress easily, even when we do the best we can. Keep the tank quiet with the light off (maybe put a towel over it, too), and add some stress reducer and an ammonia treatment, like Stress Zyme, which helps repair and replace their delicate slime coating, and an ammonia filter insert.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,291,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Don't be mad at yourself. Fish stress easily, even when we do the best we can. Keep the tank quiet with the light off (maybe put a towel over it, too), and add some stress reducer and an ammonia treatment, like Stress Zyme, which helps repair and replace their delicate slime coating, and an ammonia filter insert.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response, Jill. My plec died today. We buried him in the back yard. Yesterday, I went to the pet store and picked up a few items. I tried to get advice as well. I picked up some ammo lock and an anti-fungal (at the recommendation of the LFS), put both in the tank and today, I wake up to chaos. All three fish have cloudy eye and cotton growth. I don't know if it was combining the chemicals that did this. I made sure the plec was gone and then did a 50% water change and have started dosing tetracycline. The angels do look better but they're suffering. I hope they pull through. I had a feeling it was bacterial and didn't feel right when putting in that fungus guard stuff.

I do have stress zyme, but not the ammonia filter insert. I'll pick that up. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,476,777 times
I'm so sorry he died. I hate losing fish, and we bury them in the yard, too.

I've had great success with the Mardel products; Maracyn and Maracyn-Two, as well as Coppersafe. Being from the same manufacturer, they're safe to use together.

Wishing you and your fishies the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish