Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

it is cruel to put a goldfish in a bowl, by the way. goldfish produce a LOT of waste and need a surprisingly large tank - about 3 gallons per inch of fish, and they can grow up to 10 inches long. they also need a good filter system, about double what most other fish require. goldfish can live for 20+ years when taken care of properly, but they rarely are so they have a reputation for being short-lived.

i don't know about these frogs, but comparing tank size to house size for a cat or dog is not reasonable. a tank is not just a fish or frog's home - it's its whole ecosystem. it would only be semi-comparable to a cat or dog if your house was airtight and your pets depended on you to provide them with oxygen (and their waste was gaseous & airborne, ew!). no one's advocating letting frogs or fish free, just giving them enough space to be healthy in their tanks. it's not just about movement, it's about how fast the water fills up with waste, how stable the temperature is, etc. these tanks seem too small to me and don't seem to have filters. how often do they recommend cleaning these things?

i'll agree that goldfish or frogs don't particularly care about companionship though.

Last edited by groar; 10-15-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM

here's an article about how to care for african dwarf frogs. the frogosphere barely meets any of the requirements for a healthy life for these frogs. and it actually does recommend getting at least 2 for companionship, go figure! it also recommends a filter, biweekly cleaning, lots of hiding places in the tank, and a minimum of 1 gallon of water per frog.

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding

jflowers, i can tell you are a good-hearted pet owner and care about the welfare of your frogs, but you really should get them a more suitable tank if you want them to be healthy and live out their full life spans.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I think that just because something can survive in a tiny environment doesn't mean that it's a good quality of life for them.
This is how I always feel about beta fish when I see them all sad and depressed looking in a tiny little cup at the store

Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 AM

you should see a betta in a properly sized tank, they are just beautiful, and very active!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
This is how I always feel about beta fish when I see them all sad and depressed looking in a tiny little cup at the store

Aw. I thought I was the only one who got bummed out seeing those poor little beta fish in a little cup. I want to buy them all and release them into the ocean or something lol. They really do look sad and depressed. I am such a sucker for animals. I can't stand seeing any creature caged up.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Aw. I thought I was the only one who got bummed out seeing those poor little beta fish in a little cup. I want to buy them all and release them into the ocean or something lol. They really do look sad and depressed. I am such a sucker for animals. I can't stand seeing any creature caged up.
I'm not sure that they'd enjoy the ocean much being freshwater fish...

I've had a couple betas (one at a time!) in a 10 gallon aquarium filled halfway to try and replicate their natural habitat. They seemed pretty happy.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times
I just recently purchased the frog-o-sphere. They seem very happy and so active. They swim around chasing each other and when I sit down at my desk they both swim up to the front to see me. I'm doing everything that is recommended and even did further research on how to keep them completely healthy. Even though they appear low maintenance, you still have a responsibility for the little lives and as with any pet you should do some research before you get them. They seem to have plenty of room to stretch their little froggy legs.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
FROG-O-SPHERE ASSORTED- DROP SHIP Review | Frog O Sphere in every classroom

"Our PTO was gracious enough to purchase one for each of our 1st grade classrooms. Due to allergies we are very limited on class pets. This helps teach the children responsibility and every day they are cared for. I wish the price was lower so that each classroom (not just 1st grade) was able to have one. We love them!"

Sick.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflowers12 View Post
My parents recently bought my fiance and I a Frog-O-Sphere.

One, if a woman forgot to feed frogs twice a week then she shouldn't be allowed to own any pets.

Two, they're very small frogs and they have plenty of room to move.

Three, we feed ours on the recommended schedule and they are both perfectly active and healthy. They play and swim all the time. Also, just like any other living creature, some frogs require more food than others to remain healthy.

Four, what about fish? You're not complaining about people putting a goldfish in a fish bowl all alone but you're complaining about two incredibly tiny frogs in an aquarium that is perfectly suited to their size.

Five, if you pay attention to what your doing when you clean the tank, there is absolutely no way for them to get loose.

Six, how many of you have cats and dogs that are sheltered in your home? If you let your cat out to roam free, would that be considered cruel? You would leave them vulnerable to other animals, cruel kids and the possibility of being hit by a car.
Yes, I hate goldfish being stuck in a little bowl too.

I have no pets as I realize I can't tell when they hate the food I give them, or if it's too cold or too hot for them and so on.

I'm sorry but the frogs I saw at the store near me all seemed very depressed or ill or something. Maybe they were cold, who knows? But it struck me as sucky, and that's all there is too it. You can't argue me into believing I saw happy creatures, LOL!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
My questions is would they be happier left alone in their natural habitat where they are meant to be anyway.

As for cats and dogs, they've been domesticated. Once humans interfere and domesticate something it makes it our responsibility to care for it. Frogs are not domestic.

It's a common problem with exotics. People bring them home because they're cute, but have no clue how to truly care for them properly. If you're an enthusiast and you will dedicate your time to ensuring they are properly cared for their entire lives and they were born / hatched in captivity to captive parents, that's one thing. But bringing them in from the wild and selling them to uninformed people who don't care for them the way they should and just let them die is sick. I'm not sure why we don't have humanity laws in this country for all species.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish