Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,229,493 times

Advertisements

I vote for cruel. I don't believe in any exotics as pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 AM

148 posts, read 585,430 times
This is only the 2nd time I've heard of Forg-O-Sphere, but the first was when I read a blog post yesterday about PETA protesting stores who were selling them. Now, PETA is not on my list of liked or trusted organizations, but if the things they posted are true, then it does seem cruel. Really, just the idea of drop shipping live animals and treating them like regular stock merchandise opens up too many possibilities for harm to the animals from rough handling, extreme temperatures, or just plain not getting cared for. The fact that they need replacement stock for the numbers of frogs who arrive dead or die soon after purchase should raise some flags on its own.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times
Are they the same African frogs that you order by mail and get a tadpole?
We ordered one of those years ago when my sons were kids.
I mostly used Froggy (that was what my preschoolers named him) as a preschool class pet.
He came with a little box of water (you used distilled water), then graduated to a larger one. Froggy did fine, but I was happy to accept a new, larger mini-aquarium from one of my preschool parents.
Froggy lived for 13 years.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
WOW!! had no idea that frogs had that kind of life expectancy...... also a testament to the fine care he got.......

Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,229,493 times
So BlueWillowPlate - what is your point? You took care of your frog. Does that mean you support open laws on everyone being able to get a frog even if 80% (pick a number, even a low number) of the frogs don't get good care?
Personally I would take good care of anything - but I support laws that limit peoples access to exotics because I know that even a minority of animals suffering is not acceptable to me. The barn door is open on domisticated - but exotics are a different story.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM

622 posts, read 1,725,962 times
As far as goldfish go... they would be better off in a pond goldfish get HUGE 2 feet+ and 5 lbs huge if in a 200 gallon+ or outside pond. They create massive amounts of waste and need special care if fancy or in a giant aquarium.

Most frogs are lousy pets... they either get big/ are aggressive bullfrogs can eat mice and birds, have special needs or just plain breed themselves outta house and home- reflecting on my previous fire belly groups mass BABIES!!!! must have been hundreds gave them up to a reputable pet store Twin city reptiles.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Absolutely! It is cruel. One aquatic african dwarf frog requires about a gallon and a half of water to live in. Two frogs should live in a tank with at least 3 gallons. Every living animal also needs a place to hide. Frog-o-sphere does not provide the frogs with elementary conditions for normal life. It is sad that people buy it without having any idea how to care for these animals. It cracked me up when I was reading reviews in which people see themselves as responsible because they feed frogs in frog-o-sphere. Responsibility is when you do homework before getting a pet and learn about their habitats and acceptable environment! So sad! Not to mention, you can get a 10 gallon tank, gravel, food and 3 frogs at Petco for half of the price Brookstone sells it for! This and similar products should be banned.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM61406 View Post
Absolutely! It is cruel. One aquatic african dwarf frog requires about a gallon and a half of water to live in. Two frogs should live in a tank with at least 3 gallons. Every living animal also needs a place to hide. Frog-o-sphere does not provide the frogs with elementary conditions for normal life. It is sad that people buy it without having any idea how to care for these animals. It cracked me up when I was reading reviews in which people see themselves as responsible because they feed frogs in frog-o-sphere. Responsibility is when you do homework before getting a pet and learn about their habitats and acceptable environment! So sad! Not to mention, you can get a 10 gallon tank, gravel, food and 3 frogs at Petco for half of the price Brookstone sells it for! This and similar products should be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish