Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times

Advertisements

If you are not emotionally attached to the fish, give them away. You may also want to discard the gravel, unless it is the very expensive kind.

If you transport them, you prob don't need an air pump unless they are really crowded. If you use a sealed container, open it up from time to time to allow for new air. Don't feed them on the trip, and avoid sun or heat/cold extremes.

I like to use 7 gal "paint" buckets (that have never been used for paint!). You can buy them new but many food places sell or give them away if you ask. Dunkin Donuts uses them for icing, many FF places use them for pickles. They are very sturdy and have lids. Just clean them well pror to the move. They are handy after the move for water changes and tank cleaning too, and stack inside each other for storage.

If you use an undergravel "biologial" filter, fill another bucket with wet unwashed gravel (rinse only with tank water). This will help "jump start" the new tank quicker than just tank water. If you are not taking the fish, wash the gravel well instead, and spread it ot to dry well outside. A bucket is still the best way to transport it.

Avoid moving the tank with anything very heavy in it, water, gravel, rocks. It is hard on the seams and may cause leaks later. Do take avantage of the space inside the tank for lightweight tank supplies or other lightweight items though. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Oh yeah, and never carry a tank by the lip! Trust me on this one

Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
Default minnow bucket and cross country we went

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I will be moving cross country in about 4 months. I have 5 fish in a fish tank and would like to take them but wondering if they will even survive. Has anyone done this? Is it better to give them away? BTW, 2 tetras, 2 catfish, 1 pleco Thanks
You have tough fish, except for the tetras; I went across half of Canada in the summer with a cory, guppy, and angelfish in a metal 3 gallon minnow bucket when I was ten years old. All were just fine! (don't feed them en route and try to keep the temperature a stable as you can)

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
I moved across Texas with about 11 tanks. What I did was empty all but the 3 largest ones. I put these three in the uhaul and filled them halfway. I bought portable aerators and dropped them in with the fish. When I got to my destination it was midnight so I left them in the uhaul. By the time I set the tanks back up it was almost evening the next day. so the aerators were basically on for two days. So I think that is the best way to transport fish.

Put just a few inches of water in the tank so that there are no spills and then add an aerator.
If you are traveling in the summer and conserned about heat you can add icecubes to the water every 12 hours or so

Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Good tips here:
Moving Your Tropical Fish, Goldfish, and Aquarium.
Moving with Your Fish - The First Tank Guide - How to get Your Fish to Your New Home Happy and Healthy

Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM

232 posts, read 676,257 times
I moved from CA to FL. Was originally going to fly, but didn't know what to do with my fish. I actually drove cross country with those things! I put them in a little plastic carrier (mostly tetras and a pleco), and then placed the carrier inside a cooler to catch any water that spilled. Each night that I stopped at a hotel, I took the fish out, fed them, and put a battery operated air stone in for a few hours. Took 4 days to drive, but all of those fish made it. By the time I put them in their new aquarium at the new place, they were almost dead, but within a half hour, they perked back up as if nothing had happened.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 AM

15 posts, read 15,378 times
Default Driving 1400 miles with Goldfish

Will be traveling by car 1400 miles with my Comet Goldfish (8 inches long) next month and looking for any additional pointers.. although we won't be staying overnight anywhere, we will be making periodic stops for rest.

I have purchased the 11x19 inch Kordon breather bags and plan to fill the bag as close to full as possible to prevent sloshing throughout the drive. Does anyone have any personal experience with these bags? I have heard horror stories about them breaking if improperly packed, so I'm looking to pack them correctly, while also ensuring that if it breaks, the immediate surrounding container will be able to keep my fish alive. Can these bags rest / rub against another bag during travel? I'm thinking about using another bag as a liner within a box and using foam or other packing materials around the outer perimeter of the liner. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
For a single fish? I would not bother.

The Kordon bag do get puncture and I don't like to use them for shipping at all.

If you really want to move the fish, a bucket will do. You may want to keep an eye out on water temp if you do park for a while with your 1400 miles trip.

Again.. If it was me.. I wouldn't bother transporting a single fish.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:23 PM

279 posts, read 356,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
For a single fish? I would not bother.

The Kordon bag do get puncture and I don't like to use them for shipping at all.

If you really want to move the fish, a bucket will do. You may want to keep an eye out on water temp if you do park for a while with your 1400 miles trip.

Again.. If it was me.. I wouldn't bother transporting a single fish.
If you're attached to your fish and want to take it to the new location, A 5 gallon bucket ( NEW ) thoroughly rinsed would work for your 8 inch goldy ... you can buy a battery operated air pump for the ride too.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherjay231 View Post
Will be traveling by car 1400 miles with my Comet Goldfish (8 inches long) next month and looking for any additional pointers.. although we won't be staying overnight anywhere, we will be making periodic stops for rest.

I have purchased the 11x19 inch Kordon breather bags and plan to fill the bag as close to full as possible to prevent sloshing throughout the drive. Does anyone have any personal experience with these bags? I have heard horror stories about them breaking if improperly packed, so I'm looking to pack them correctly, while also ensuring that if it breaks, the immediate surrounding container will be able to keep my fish alive. Can these bags rest / rub against another bag during travel? I'm thinking about using another bag as a liner within a box and using foam or other packing materials around the outer perimeter of the liner. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
wow, circling back from 2009...

I looked up the Kordon Breather Bags, and while I have no experience with those, for an 8 in. comet those look like they'd be awful for lengthy transport, sorry. Looking back at my post and what others have said, using some sort of plastic bin/container is probably best. In retrospect, I would also add one more tip: use a smaller plastic bin (filled with the water and fish) with cover, then place it in ANOTHER plastic bin with cover - that way, theoretically, it will capture any water that spills out of the first bin. It's something I realized I should have done on my drive (only used one bin + towel underneath, but still had lots of spills onto seat and other items packed up against bin).

Personal update: I no longer have my prized goldfish (rip!). They all passed about two years after my move, though the pleco and kuhli loach had survied. I ended up selling the tank and the new buyer also took those fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish