Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,635,012 times

Advertisements

I had 3 longfin danios, now 2 because one died. This morning I fed them and saw one wasn't eating, just sitting, then turned on the filter and it was kinda moving to the water waves, not swimming. They moved to the very bottom on the rocks.

There is one bad fish which chases the others especially when I feed them. Because of that bad fish the one that died use to always hide behind the filter, the other was bigger so they didn't hide much.

So I noticed a bit of ick on the back fin, added some conditioner and went on with my day. When i go to feed them again that sick one is dead. So I flushed that one. I added some drops I picked up that cure ick and plan to clean out the tank again soon. Now there are the only 2 left, the bad ass and the more prettier one (the fins are better). Should I take that one back to the petstore?? I was planning to buy another one anyway. I had a friend that flushed one of his fish because it was bad but i'm not gonna do that.

I don't want this one to stress the other one out. How often should a 2 gallon aquarium be cleaned out? I had this for 2 months and added water but havent cleaned it out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,458,165 times
We do not have any fish any more have had 50 salt water fish and over 40 fresh water fish. We had a whole fish tank of fish die from the stupid ick even putting in ick medicine. They ended all getting it and died, i could not believe it. I would take the one back to not stress the other one out.
We never had a 2 gallon so cannot help you there. We always had larger fish tank with good filters.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,635,012 times
Man they all died? I read that when one or a few appears sick its good to immediately seperate the healthy ones and put the sick ones in new water with the medicine drops. Also read warmer water slows down that virus or bacteria whatever the ick is, so I kept the tank light on. And a temperaute variation of more than a couple degrees is bad for tropical fish. I also read that its illegal to flush fish dead or alive, because it goes into the water supply and a foreign fish could spread something?

Its a 3 gallon, one of those tanks that come in boxes with the lid filter bulb and stuff included. Yea it died within 24 hours from appearing perfect to dead. It was small so I guess it easily got eat up by something in the gut or i dunno.

I ended up not returning the other one, Instead I put a plastic lid in there to kinda create a wall, might get one more and remove the lid. And happily I finally saw the other fish chase the mean one a few times so I think they'll be fine. I put that ick medicine treatment and new water, etc.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 AM

725 posts, read 3,016,185 times
I think the problem is... you say you've had the tank for two months but haven't cleaned it yet. Adding water doesn't mean better water parameters. You need to clean it out (get one of those suction hoses) and clean out all of the junk beneath the gravel.

Ick can form because of bad water conditions and not changing water for two months is a likely cause of that.

If you have a 2 gallon tank, you want to empty out about 50% of the water. Add in new water and the water conditioner. If you are using ick medicine, you need to add that in as well, but BE SURE to remove the carbon from the filter, otherwise the medicine gets sucked up into the carbon. Instructions typically say to repeat this after 24 hours but change out 25% of the water this time.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,096,641 times
Hi! This is a late reply, but I'll offer a guess what happened. The fish prob died from a buildup of ammonia and/or nitrates in the water. The ich, which is common in tank water, cannot usually infect a healthy fish, they became vulnerable after being weakened. In a sense, they were already dying before they got sick. The water may have been bad from a gradual buildup of waste, or a recent overfeeding.

There are 2 basic kind of filters, BIOLOGICAL (undergravel, sponge) or MECHANICAL (the kind with charcoal). The bio types take about six weeks to become established, and should not be disturbed or cleaned too much, water changes should not be more than 50% total, less (but often) is better. The mechanical types really don't improve the water quality until you change the charcoal/pads, but if you leave them undisturbed, they will begin to work like a bio type, but not as effective. Either type should run continuously, turning them off for periods of time is NOT good.

One other note, a 2 gal is a tiny tank, really too small for 3 danios who are very active. A better choice might be an airbreather like a betta or dwarf gourami (single fish). If you enjoy fish and would like a variety, you should get the largest tank you can afford, at least a 20 gal. Fish are fun!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM

Quick add about ICH, it is an not a virus but a tiny parasite. It lives swimming in water and reproduces by burrowing into the fish's skin, eventually creating a swelling (the white spot) that will burst, "alien style", releasing new babies into the water. Most medicines cannot affect it when it is dormant, or in the fish, only in the swimming stage. Warmer water speeds up the life cycle of the ich, exposing more of them to the medicine.

Also, in a tank 5 gal or less, it is usually better to treat the whole tank when fish are sick. "Hospital" tanks are more useful for larger aquariums.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 PM

543 posts, read 2,311,711 times
Ick is a virus that is in all fish' systems. It is like us with a cold virus. Fish do get very stressed when another fish is bullying another. 2 gallon tanks are very hard to work with. I think the larger the tank the easier it is to take care of. I cleaned and took care of all the fish tanks at a friends pet store for years. We always put 1 TBSP of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water which helped hold ick and fungus back.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Ich is not a virus, it is an animal, I believe it would be considered an invertebrate. And it spends most of it's life cycle outside the fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish