Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,911,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post

When you set up your tank, you will need to let it cycle for 24-48 hours before you can add fish. By "cycling" your tank I mean you need to treat the water with water treatment to get rid of all the harmful chemicals like chlorine, chloramine, etc in tap water.
I agree with most of your advice, but I did want to point out that there is far more to cycling than just de-chlorinating the water, which is what you advised. Of course de-chlorinating is also essential, I like using a product called Prime, Amquel is another popular choice. But true "cycling" is essential, too:

Freshwater cycling - Aquaria Central

“Cycling A Tank”

What we mean by this term, is the process of establishing an environment that will beneficially support fish life, with minimal stress to the fish and to you. The terms used here are relevant to the “nitrogen” cycle and how it relates to the aquarium.

Moderator cut: sorry, too long a quote, see TOS for rule

And the above link will go on to explain specifically how to cycle a tank.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-19-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
I would not advise buying your fish at Walmart. Even places like PetCo and PetSmart...I've seen some of their tanks!
For best information....visit a Aquarium store...they are bound a tad more knowledge than the run of the mill pet stores.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,096,918 times
Anytime you introduce new fish to a tank, you run the risk of adding disease or other organisms, some within the fish itself. You can reduce your risk a little by never adding the water from the bag to your tank. Pour the fish into a wet net instead (not over the sink!).

The big problem with fish at Walmart, department stores or some chain pet stores is they often have inexperienced or unqualified people working the fish room, who do not properly recognize and treat fish diseases when they occur. There are a few good ones, but fish prices are usually pretty high anyway. Look for established independant/family run shops instead.

We have a good one here in SA, they have a large, no frills fishroom, and get lots of different quality fish, both wild and from breeders. Great prices too, as they move a lot of fish. I need to visit soon

Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
You really should buy your fish at a pet store, or better yet, a place that specializes in fish and aquariums. Keep in mind, every morning when a pet store opens they net out any of the fish that have died since the day before. So for all you know they may have pulled out 10 dead fish earlier in the tank of fish you are looking at. If you are looking at a tank with some kind of fish you are interested in buying, look closely at the other fish. Are there any dead one, ones that look ill or are in bad shape? If so, after knowing they probably already pulled out fish that morning from that tank that died, I would stay away from getting any fish from that tank. Now look around at other tanks in that same store. Do you see this in a lot of other aquariums? If so, you should get your fish elsewhere.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,152,527 times
We bought two Tiger Barbs last Friday and one was dead this morning
I don't know what we did wrong. We got the 5 gallon ready to go tank at Petsmart with the biowheel, we treated the water, I did test the water with those strips and it said the ph was 8.5 and hard water (the nitrite/nitrate levels came out "normal") So a co-worker told me to add some drinking water from the store and not tap and I did add one gallon of it and then today my fish was dead. My kids noticed though that he had his tail fin "chewed" on. They assure me he did not have it this way before. Could the other fish have attacked him? Should I just buy another one to replace the one we just lost or just keep the one in there? This is mostly for my little boy who wanted a new pet but guess who's doing all the cleaning, testing, etc. Sheesh I didn't know all this work was needed for an aquarium.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,911,903 times
A few things went wrong. One, your tank wasn't "cycled", it's too new. It was a new tank, and it takes a few weeks for the water to cycle, which means good bacteria has to develop, which generally comes from fish waste. (you can buy "instant" cycling products in pet stores, but most people say they don't really work) New, fresh clean water simply treated with chlorine removers, believe it or not, is just not healthy for fish. They need the good bacteria, and with a new tank, frequent partial water changes as the cycling is completing. Test strips are not accurate, you need to use a liquid test kit such as API. Nitrate and Nitrites are not the same thing, they are too separate things, and are not "hard" water. I previously included a link which explains how cycling is necessary and how it works, I'll include it here again.

Finally, your fish might have had fin and tail rot. That's a common illness among fish at pet stores. The only cure is sometimes extremely clean water conditions, in an already cycled tank, and if it's a bad case, medications. A few weeks ago I bought a fish that had fin and tail rot, and it cost me $13 to cure it. I'm sorry your fish died. I'd be watchful of your remaining fish, and do a small partial water change every few days as the tank cycles. I doubt you'll want to spend the $25-30 to buy the proper water testing kit, but the water changes will help in keep the new ammonia levels down, which happens with new tanks. Ammonia is toxic to fish. And be wary of what people at pet stores will tell you---they are notorious at giving poor advice.

Freshwater cycling - Aquaria Central

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,152,527 times
Andthen thanks for the link and the advise. We currently only have one tiger barb in the tank. I'll keep a close eye on him and the water. I will search for an actual aquarium store and go there.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish