Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,254,873 times

Advertisements

As far as small animals, I've had guinea pigs, ferrets, chinchillas, rabbits, sugar gliders, gerbils & hamsters and currently have 3 ferrets, 2 rabbits, 1 gerbil and 3 hamsters. I know rats make nice pets, just can't get past their tails. You didn't ask about these others, just hamsters, so I'll share my experience.

I love our hamsters! My dd's gerbil is very sweet, but also very fast. The hamsters are much easier to hold. We got ours at a mom/pop type petstore from someone not doing inline breeding. My hamster, Lacey is your standard fancy hamster. She picked me one day. All of the other hamsters were sleeping, but she was frantically running back and forth as if to get my attention. I can pick her up any time of the day. I love this girl!

In the past, we've had the tiny Robo hamsters and Chinese Dwarfs. I prefer the Robo. All of mine were super sweet, just take your time choosing one and try to get a baby.

Another favorite of mine are the Black Bear Hamsters. They seem to always be super friendly. Here's a photo I took of my dearly missed Black Pearl.

We have a hamster pen w/ various toys that ours love to play in. Keeping cages clean is easiest using Carefresh. It's more absorbant and controls smell. My dd has brought a hamster w/ us on vacation before. She just brings her along in one of those small travel cages. As far as pets, my Newfie or Lab would never harm a hamster, but I would not trust my terriers around them.

Be sure to post some pics if you do get one. The only downside I see is that they have a short lifespan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM

100 posts, read 340,169 times
Thank you all for your replies... Yeah i'm not to fond of Mice, rats.. they are just not that cute to me. and plus i can't get past that tail... I dont know what it is about mice, rats that i can't stand but No thanks! yeah i am willing to do some more research on hamsters, i just love this site you guys are great at helping out.

I will post pictures when we get ours. I can't wait Thanks again..

Lovin' Surprise

Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,299,455 times
There a gazillion guinea pigs in rescue. I think they are easier to hold, make cute noises and like to be brushed. Much better for a little kid.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There a gazillion guinea pigs in rescue. I think they are easier to hold, make cute noises and like to be brushed. Much better for a little kid.
Were do i go and find one of those rescue places for guinea pigs or even a hamster? Thanks again for all your help much appreciated..

Lovin' Surprise

Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
!
In the past, we've had the tiny Robo hamsters and Chinese Dwarfs. I prefer the Robo. All of mine were super sweet, just take your time choosing one and try to get a baby.

what is a Robo hamster? I've never heard of one.. LOL Thanks for the help the kiddo's love the pictures... you making this really hard... LOL Thanks!!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,411,795 times
to the folks who say they aren't thrilled about rat tails, there are breeders who breed Manx (tailless) rats! the genes are still being worked out, but if it's only the tail freaking you out, it may be an option

IMO, hamsters are furry goldfish. very cute and fun to watch, not that thrilling when it comes to play time. I had 6 hamsters, two of which, a female dwarf and a male Syrian, were perfect, sociable little darlings. the other 4, another Syrian and 3 dwarfs, ranged from being mildly unsociable to downright hostile (could only hold one w/ garden gloves! he went out of his way to attack me!). compared to other pocket pets, they're kind of in the middle on terms of being sociable w/ humans (I'd personally rate rats as the highest and gerbils the lowest, but that's just my experience).

if you do go w/ a hamster, I would suggest a Syrian, only because they are bigger and easier to hold. BTW, "teddy bear" and "black bear" hamsters are just hair and color variations of the Syrian, no need to pay upwards of $20 assuming it will have a better temperament. if you're willing to spend that much money on a hamster, go to a breeder and hopefully temperament won't be an issue. Syrians do NOT do well in pairs of groups and should be kept solo. dwarf hamsters can do okay in family groups (e.g., same sex siblings, parent-child groups).

last thing I will say is to be very careful of all plastic cages. hamsters are chewers and I've had hamsters chew good sized holes in their cages. honestly, I think a good sized tank would be best, but I can't remember if ventilation is as much of an issue as it is w/ rats. oh, and avoid cedar and pine shavings-pretty sure that's the reason why I lost so many of my hamsters after a short time (kept them all on cheap cedar)

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,289,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin' Surprise View Post
Were do i go and find one of those rescue places for guinea pigs or even a hamster? Thanks again for all your help much appreciated..

Lovin' Surprise
A lot of humane societies will have them. But a great starting point is Petfinder - Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,254,873 times
Quote:
what is a Robo hamster? I've never heard of one.. LOL Thanks for the help the kiddo's love the pictures... you making this really hard... LOL Thanks!!
Just google Robo hamster images.

robo hamster pictures - Google Search

They are little darlings. Those who have had a bad experience probably got one that was from inline breeding. Your small mom/pop stores that aren't a chain are a better choice.

Stay away from tanks! The circulation is poor! A hamster cage is the best. The ones w/ all the tubes running everywhere are alot of work and hard to clean. As I mentioned, only use Carefresh as litter.

We are quite happy w/ this cage.

All Living ThingsĀ® Deluxe Hamster Kit - Sale - Small Pet - PetSmart

If you're planning to go larger than a hamster, the price of the cage will also cost more.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,552,266 times
Quote:

Lovin' Surprise
Look here and select "Small and Furry" under the animal icon on the left side of the page. Be sure to type in your zip code too. Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,738,081 times
They are wonderful!

But I won't have another one! Stinks to high heaven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish